Guerlain Habit Rouge

Guerlain Habit Rouge

4.2

on 10/28/2017 8:37:00 AM

For the record I am reviewing the eau de parfum concentration. This product is more commonly sold in eau de toilette and eau de cologne concentrations, and so many of the reviews will refer to those.

Habit Rouge is often described as Shalimar for Men. I have to agree. In many way's it's even sexier. There's more leather, less vanilla and it's all round drier and not too sweet. This is a fragrance that smells good with a suit or a leather jacket and tshirt. Shalimar can be a bit too much for daytime wear but Habit Rouge is just right. This how I hoped Jicky would smell on me - dry, sweet, leathery, unisex and sexy in a cool understated sort of way.

Starts off with a blast of citrus, dries down to an oriental base plus leather. Never completely loses the citrus blast. Sillage is low to moderate, longevity is 6 hours or more on skin, on clothing until it's washed.

on 10/13/2017 4:07:00 PM

An absolute perfection. Unfortunately the modern regulations or brands obsessive money making mass production have changed the quality. Have some bottles from 80's and those are the real thing.

on 12/14/2011 1:01:00 PM

There is beauty in perfumery, and there is je ne sais quoi. Guerlain has an accessibility and "certain something" that most fragrances lack. Habit Rouge is so comforting in it's manner, as are Shalimar and Samsara, that most find them familiar, even on first sniff. This is a fragrance that will never become obsolete; only now do we realize the care that early perfumers took when creating compositions.

on 12/4/2011 4:53:00 AM

I can't understand why some people that review fragrances they don't like use such crass and immature descriptions. Grow up.

on 9/17/2014 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Incredible stuff...

Habit Rouge is to me, what either Shalimar or Chanel No: 5 would smell like if they were in masculine form.

As with all Guerlain perfumes... This was not one I liked upon first spray (just for reference, when I first tried Shalimar and Jicky they initially smelt of urine and Vetiver reminded me of ageing old men), however upon repeated wearings I have come to love ALL of these fragrances and now consider them absolute masterpieces in perfumery. Habit rouge was no exception to this rule. when I first applied it to myself it screamed "Old Lady", that was the first thing that I thought of. I was disappointed. It actually opened up with a citrus-lemon blast which was quite sharp (a lot like Shalimar), and then the leather and vanilla got me thinking about Talcum Powder. Another thing which came to my mind was "oh, this smells like lemon cake!", and I still kinda get that vibe, although now I can pick out and recognise the notes a lot better.

Needless to say, upon repeated wearings, my appreciation for this masterpiece has grown and grown. To me this strikes an impression as being very aristocratic, and I can totally get the elite, upper-class equestrian vibe. I think it fits it very well. At the same time, it really does dry down to something wonderful. The leather, citrus and vanilla become wonderfully balanced as the fragrance progresses. Typically for Guerlain, the drydown is never like the opening, and it's an almost completely different fragrance by the end.

Is it modern? Well, the word "modern" is subjective... but what I would say, is that it's "timeless". This has an appeal and quality that you won't find on many fragrances today. It's very refined, and you need to appreciate it's quality to wear this. That being said, I think anyone can wear this, male, female, old and young. As a reference, it certainly has "Rockstar Quality" to it (for example both Keith Richards and Madonna wear this) so take from that what you will.

In regards to this being "feminine" for a man to wear? Keith Richards said that women went crazy for him once he started wearing this, and now that I think about it, the sharp citrus and smooth leather definitely makes quite an entrance, it's not floral enough to be mistaken for a typical feminine. Another word this is described as is "powdery", and yes, I did get that (I think Luca Turin summed it up nicely by referring to Habit Rouge as "sweet dust"). But the more you wear it, the more you feel more comfortable wearing it, and that gives you power, because not everyone will smell like this, and you'll feel confidant in making that statement. That being said, this would definitely make an impression at very formal occasions (this was released in 1965, think "Mad Men" and you get the picture), but in my opinion it could certainly be worn casually enough in any other setting.

Overall, a real classic. At first, it can take real balls to wear this one, even though it's marketed towards men. But when you really get used to it, you find that it is so elegant, so refined and so very beautiful that it really becomes a part of you. It has definitely grown on me! These old Guerlains really wear me out in the beginning, but once they get going on your skin throughout the whole life of each fragrance... My God, my God, sheer class, the elegance they possess! I actually want everyone to try this one out. Habit Rouge, they don't make anything like this any more, but what a transformation! Truly an eye opening experience... and highly recommended, if at least once in your life.

on 8/25/2015 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Simply one of the best men's fragrances out there. Classic. Sophisticated. Warm. It is basically a more masculine version of Shalimar. I didn't love it at first, but now I can't get enough. It's a scent that rewards you when you wear it more and more. It's definitely a more mature scent, but younger guys may want to try it if they want something more substantial.

on 11/9/2011 3:48:00 PM

It reminds me of Keith Richards. It conjures up all sorts of delightful images of the 60's. At first spray, I picture Keith in a red velvet jacket, black felt fedora, snakeskin boots, a silk shirt unbuttoned to the waist, and a long fuschia chiffon scarf trailing in the wind. Then ANita Pallenberg would enter the room, pick up the bottle, and splash it lavishly all over her caftanned self.

on 1/24/2011 2:34:00 AM

I don't want to rate this as "good" or "bad." If you understand what it is, you can decide if you'd like it or not. For me, this is the masculine version of vintage Emeraude. Habit Rouge adds spices and leather, but both feature strong orange blossom and jasmine. The effect is a "dirty" and powdery opening. Emeraude seems to have a "green" quality, though the notes don't suggest anything like that (and I don't think it has galbanum in it). Perhaps it's something like menthol or eucalyptus. It also has incense and the vanilla is stronger. Habit Rouge has stronger orange blossom and jasmine, but it doesn't seem to last as long. I've only tried the EdC formulation, so for all I know the others are substantially different. I'm not a huge fan of these kinds of fragrances, probably because I like ones that are more complex but also have better balance among the various notes. In any case, this will smell "old" or even musty to those accustomed to "fresh" fragrances, so be aware of that point.

on 3/15/2010 7:03:00 PM

For me its completly unisex, Im wearing it and not a soul would say its not 'feminine'. Thats what I love the most about Guerlain, they make fragrances, perfumeur they are, in the other houses all women fragrances are supposed to smell the same and all male fragrance are supposed to smell the same.

A wretched, horrible, ghastly stench that even an old man would find too old-smelling to wear. Only true Guerlain stooges would consider wearing this. I would rather have a dog fart in my face than ever smell Habit Rouge again. One of the worst ever!

Popular Fragrances