Guerlain Habit Rouge

Guerlain Habit Rouge

4.2

on 1/23/2018 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is for Vintage HR edt, new dead stock mini sample bottle. I assumed that I would love HR because I am fond of guerlains vintage fragrances and I have read reviews comparing it favorably with Shalimar. (My favorite Shalimar is vintage disc bottle edc which is less heavy bodied and less powdery than oth Shalimar versions). Sadly HR does not work for me. My skin chemistry does well with scents others find problematic, such as F Malles Fleur de Cassis, but does not do well with certain types of citrus (I can handle guerlains pamplelune, but Goutals Eau de Hadrian turns into a sickly candied furniture polish). Similarly HRs citrus starts out candied and loud on me, and it never softens. HR becomes rosier and Orange (think Tang orange drink) and sickly vanilla, and I never get any hint of leather, animalic notes or even much vanilla or other dusky elements of the dry down. I am a recent convert to rose perfumes and I like vintage. . .. There are elements of HR that echo Ungaro Diva (which does work on me) as well as more modern fragrancessimilar to Tauers rose vermeille or rose flash. . . My issues with HR are due to personal skin chemistry. Incidentally, I am prone to hives and felt that this might provoke a reaction, so removed it after a couple of hours. Staying power was otherwise good and the fragrance did not evolve on my skin. Incidentally, i wish I smelt pine needles and old books (I do smell that with Caron Alpona extrait or Perles de Lalique) like the reviewer below, but I don’t. My go to for an ambery men’s cologne (I am a woman who likes men’s fragrance) would be vintage 80’s Karl Lagerfeld for men.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I'm not much of a perfume person myself. I get migraines triggered by a lot of scents, I'm not familiar with most of the terminology regarding these things, and I haven't smelled any of the great olfactory masterpieces out there, other than Chanel no. 5, which to me was eau de cat piss, so this is going to be a pretty honest "layman's" review about this juice from one person's unsophisticated schnozz.

Well, it smells fantastic. I have never smelled anything like this before, and yet it smells vaguely familiar. The old lady agreed, strange but familiar. I smell a lot of imaginary notes in this that apparently aren't in the recipe. Among the citrus and amber there seem to be pine needles, old books. Does no one else smell real forest pine needles in this? Like the forest in the late summer, in the sun, clean yet a little wild. I dunno. That's the vibe I get. That's what makes it so mysterious, because you don't know what the hell you're even smelling, but it feels warm and safe anyway. Best of both worlds.

It smells like a "classic" perfume, but not "dated" at all. It really doesn't. Well, it doesn't smell like a Paris Hilton body spray, it smells like a real perfume. Those who are initially against it may just be unused to it.

It's warm but crisp, and sweet in a way that isn't gourmand at all. And definitely unisex. Because it hasn't been overloaded with those vile synthetic musks the alpha-chimp scents purveyed to men of today have been. Habit Rouge is a distinguished gentleman. A fox amongst terriers? It's definitely more clever than the other guys and much more beautiful.

I couldn't keep my nose off my wrist because every time I sniffed it, a different note emerged and it was so interesting, but it never became muddy or confused. It's an experience. It won't be for everyone, but for those who can appreciate it, it's definitely worth grabbing a bottle. My signature.

I have the Toilette version personally. People claim the scent is wildly different between the cologne, the parfum, the toilette, etcetera. I really doubt it. Like I said, I'm not sophisticated, but I really think to the average person they are all going to smell pretty much the same, give the same impression, and so on... That's my two cents.

Recommended.

on 10/28/2017 8:37:00 AM

For the record I am reviewing the eau de parfum concentration. This product is more commonly sold in eau de toilette and eau de cologne concentrations, and so many of the reviews will refer to those.

Habit Rouge is often described as Shalimar for Men. I have to agree. In many way's it's even sexier. There's more leather, less vanilla and it's all round drier and not too sweet. This is a fragrance that smells good with a suit or a leather jacket and tshirt. Shalimar can be a bit too much for daytime wear but Habit Rouge is just right. This how I hoped Jicky would smell on me - dry, sweet, leathery, unisex and sexy in a cool understated sort of way.

Starts off with a blast of citrus, dries down to an oriental base plus leather. Never completely loses the citrus blast. Sillage is low to moderate, longevity is 6 hours or more on skin, on clothing until it's washed.

on 10/13/2017 4:07:00 PM

An absolute perfection. Unfortunately the modern regulations or brands obsessive money making mass production have changed the quality. Have some bottles from 80's and those are the real thing.

on 8/25/2015 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Simply one of the best men's fragrances out there. Classic. Sophisticated. Warm. It is basically a more masculine version of Shalimar. I didn't love it at first, but now I can't get enough. It's a scent that rewards you when you wear it more and more. It's definitely a more mature scent, but younger guys may want to try it if they want something more substantial.

on 9/17/2014 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Incredible stuff...

Habit Rouge is to me, what either Shalimar or Chanel No: 5 would smell like if they were in masculine form.

As with all Guerlain perfumes... This was not one I liked upon first spray (just for reference, when I first tried Shalimar and Jicky they initially smelt of urine and Vetiver reminded me of ageing old men), however upon repeated wearings I have come to love ALL of these fragrances and now consider them absolute masterpieces in perfumery. Habit rouge was no exception to this rule. when I first applied it to myself it screamed "Old Lady", that was the first thing that I thought of. I was disappointed. It actually opened up with a citrus-lemon blast which was quite sharp (a lot like Shalimar), and then the leather and vanilla got me thinking about Talcum Powder. Another thing which came to my mind was "oh, this smells like lemon cake!", and I still kinda get that vibe, although now I can pick out and recognise the notes a lot better.

Needless to say, upon repeated wearings, my appreciation for this masterpiece has grown and grown. To me this strikes an impression as being very aristocratic, and I can totally get the elite, upper-class equestrian vibe. I think it fits it very well. At the same time, it really does dry down to something wonderful. The leather, citrus and vanilla become wonderfully balanced as the fragrance progresses. Typically for Guerlain, the drydown is never like the opening, and it's an almost completely different fragrance by the end.

Is it modern? Well, the word "modern" is subjective... but what I would say, is that it's "timeless". This has an appeal and quality that you won't find on many fragrances today. It's very refined, and you need to appreciate it's quality to wear this. That being said, I think anyone can wear this, male, female, old and young. As a reference, it certainly has "Rockstar Quality" to it (for example both Keith Richards and Madonna wear this) so take from that what you will.

In regards to this being "feminine" for a man to wear? Keith Richards said that women went crazy for him once he started wearing this, and now that I think about it, the sharp citrus and smooth leather definitely makes quite an entrance, it's not floral enough to be mistaken for a typical feminine. Another word this is described as is "powdery", and yes, I did get that (I think Luca Turin summed it up nicely by referring to Habit Rouge as "sweet dust"). But the more you wear it, the more you feel more comfortable wearing it, and that gives you power, because not everyone will smell like this, and you'll feel confidant in making that statement. That being said, this would definitely make an impression at very formal occasions (this was released in 1965, think "Mad Men" and you get the picture), but in my opinion it could certainly be worn casually enough in any other setting.

Overall, a real classic. At first, it can take real balls to wear this one, even though it's marketed towards men. But when you really get used to it, you find that it is so elegant, so refined and so very beautiful that it really becomes a part of you. It has definitely grown on me! These old Guerlains really wear me out in the beginning, but once they get going on your skin throughout the whole life of each fragrance... My God, my God, sheer class, the elegance they possess! I actually want everyone to try this one out. Habit Rouge, they don't make anything like this any more, but what a transformation! Truly an eye opening experience... and highly recommended, if at least once in your life.

on 12/14/2011 1:01:00 PM

There is beauty in perfumery, and there is je ne sais quoi. Guerlain has an accessibility and "certain something" that most fragrances lack. Habit Rouge is so comforting in it's manner, as are Shalimar and Samsara, that most find them familiar, even on first sniff. This is a fragrance that will never become obsolete; only now do we realize the care that early perfumers took when creating compositions.

on 12/4/2011 4:53:00 AM

I can't understand why some people that review fragrances they don't like use such crass and immature descriptions. Grow up.

on 11/9/2011 3:48:00 PM

It reminds me of Keith Richards. It conjures up all sorts of delightful images of the 60's. At first spray, I picture Keith in a red velvet jacket, black felt fedora, snakeskin boots, a silk shirt unbuttoned to the waist, and a long fuschia chiffon scarf trailing in the wind. Then ANita Pallenberg would enter the room, pick up the bottle, and splash it lavishly all over her caftanned self.

A wretched, horrible, ghastly stench that even an old man would find too old-smelling to wear. Only true Guerlain stooges would consider wearing this. I would rather have a dog fart in my face than ever smell Habit Rouge again. One of the worst ever!

Popular Fragrances