Smashbox Lip and Lid Primer

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Smashbox Lip and Lid Primer

1.9

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The eye primer just didn't work for me. My shadow creased very quickly with this, it was kind of a joke, really. I played with it for a little while, I thought maybe I applied too much so I tried less and it was pretty much the same. It has stick concealer consistency and a bit harder to blend into skin than other eye primers.

What I do like about it is the lip primer. I've never used a lip primer before but was excited to try this since I have very pigmented lips and this shows up as a really really pale yellow/grey color. I've tried putting a bit of foundation and concealer on my lips before to tone them down as suggested by MAs and beauty editors but led to disastrous results. They would would feather and dry my lips out giving the lip color over it a really bizarre and ugly effect. But I don't get that at all with this lip primer. This primer has a really slick lipstick consistency, similar to the old Shu Uemura Lolishine lipsticks. The result with this primer is truer color as it is meant to be because my natural lip color is pretty much blocked from showing through and changing the color of the lippie. Lipsticks are a bit less likely to slide off too. I didn't find this drying either. And I love the packaging - the size, how it feels and looks. I wish Smashbox didn't make this a dual-end product and just made the lip primer on its own. As it is you receive about .02 oz of each product and it costs $24.

I won't be buying this again because the eyelid primer is pretty terrible.

on 3/14/2009 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really dislike this. It's not serving its purpose..the shadows still crease with this on. I haven't tried the lip side yet.

on 12/27/2008 9:03:00 PM

I was shopping with my sister and asked for that product for Christmas as the SA recommended it as a primer... it is an AWFUL primer, my favourite shadows I smear on top turn chalky. I had to scrub it off to put on my makeup.

I was looking forward to trying this, after having great experience with the photo finish foundation primer spf 15 & dermaxyl.
First thought that came to mind was: 'Is this all?'
Yesterday was the first try out. The lid part comes on really smooth, doesn't seem dry to me at all, just nice, light and creamy and easy to spread over the whole lid with your fingers. I just did a very light eyeshadow thing, but the colors looked good. Only when I got back home from work and looked in the mirror [SHOCK], my brown eyeshadow had transfered into my crease. Not to my satisfaction at all! I normally use UDPP and that never fails me. Disappointment for me.
The lip primer however is the part I like :D It also goes on smoothly, does not feel dry, or dry out my lips, the color of my l/s is very intense and really stayed put for at least half of the day yesterday. Today it lasted me almost the whole working day.

I really hoped this would be a good one overall. I will use it, but will not repurchase.

It dried out my lips and lid. Not smooth at all! Yuck!

on 10/2/2007 12:13:00 PM

Worked okay on my elids but too heavy and chalky under the eyes. Limited color choices.

on 8/15/2007 7:44:00 AM

This is a disappointing product from Smashbox. I thought a dual purpose item would make it easy for me to bring when I travel. I bought this onboard a flight so I couldn't try before I bought it. The lip primer leaves an opaque beige color on my lips which weird because I already have pale lips. Perhaps it's more suitable for someone with dark lips.

I guess it's good if you want to have the true color of the lipstick transferred on your lips. Eye primer wasn't impressive because it felt heavy & didn't solve my greasy eyelid problem. So, the eyecolor still settled into the creases of my eyes at the end of the day. I gave it 2 lippies for the good packaging & because the lip primer didn't dry out my lips.

I used the lid primer as it's supposed to be used, spread in a thin layer with fingers and set with a fine dusting of powder before applying eyeshadow. I have oily eyelids and so this didn't work that well throughout the day for me. I'll have to use a mattifier first, then the primer and see how it holds up. I'll come back and edit for that part.
The lip primer is a different story; I love it! It's great in lieu of a lip liner, or if you want more drama with a dark lip, you can still use a liner and it's not mucked up nor clownish. I just apply a thin layer around my lip line, then use the pad of my ring finger to gently blend the product over my lips, gently pushing the product into my lip lines. That way there is the thinnest amount of product and the most natural effect. It keeps my lip color on with no bleeding and gives me a soft looking lip.

on 7/20/2007 10:03:00 AM

I never purchased this product before. I was going to when the sales girl whispered to me, "Don't waste your money!" I asked why, and she proceeded to tell me that is was a product that is very drying. Especially one the lips. She said I could still buy it and give it a try if I wanted to but for the price she suggested I leave it. I did just that. And after reading these reviews, I'm glad I did!!

on 5/7/2007 11:22:00 PM

I have oily eyelids and bought this from QVC and was disappointed to see how small it was. Not only that, it doesnt work that well. The lid primer is too dry and you have to drag it across your eye or try to get some on your finger and pat it on. Like other reviews, the lip primer distorts lipstick colors and makes them look muddy. Not happy with smashbox products thus far. I find them way too overpriced for the amount you get. I'm going to try Urban Decays primer, it's been getting some good reviews and it's half the price.UPDATE--YOU MUST BUY URBAN DECAYS LID PRIMER, IT'S MAGIC IN A BOTTLE. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SMASHBOX JUNK!