Victoria's Secret Basic Instinct

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Victoria's Secret Basic Instinct

3.4

on 5/31/2012 8:06:00 PM

I bought this for about $6 on clearance at Victoria's Secret simply because I liked the ritzy bottle. It's pretty to look at, but the smell is not my style. The best way to describe it is musky, and it reminds me of the cheap colognes my mom would purchase from the drugstore. I keep pushing myself to wear it with the hope that it will grow on me, but that simply hasn't happened. The only positive I can think of is that this is a unique smell for a body spray, as most have more emphasis or floral or fruity notes.

on 6/5/2009 7:04:00 PM

This is the first review I write for a perfume, I own lots of perfumes and usually wear a different one every day. I can probably say that I'm addicted to it. I really like this perfume, unfortunately I found out about it after it was discontinued. My cousin had the body lotion and every time she wore it I would have to comment on how good it smelled. I finally bought one for myself. I get compliments all the time when I'm wearing it. It smell sexy and feminine and it last all day. I must warn you that it is a bit strong when you first spray on, then it softens to a soft sensual smell. I find that with all great fragrances they usually smell a bit odd when you first spray them, then in the dry down is when you can really appreciate it. Most of the perfumes I own were not love at first sniff. I find that most of the perfumes I own are strong at first, but they last a long day. I like my perfumes to last since I'm not the type to be reapplying them!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Although discontinued to me this was one of VS's most original and intriguing scents. It is a spicy oriental fragrance that is bold and very much for nighttime wear. I fell in love with it and am very disappointed to see that they have stopped selling it.

on 4/14/2006 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I love this-it's very patchouli-ish.I think you really have to like that to enjoy this fragrance.I find it to be a very sexy scent-but probably too strong for summer.

on 10/10/2005 10:41:00 PM

WOW, this is such an "old lady" perfume! I was baffled as to who would actually buy this perfume. It literally gave me a migraine right away. Smells very musty and strong..maybe like patchouli? NO thanks!

on 9/7/2005 1:47:00 AM

Run far away from this scent. I did not buy it, but I get the catalog all the time and smelled it there. Like another reviewer said, even though I didn't buy it, it made such a bad impression on me I had to review it. Seriously, I couldn't wash it off fast enough. It is beyond belief horrible and strong. Who thought enough of this smell to put it on the shelves? Wretch-worthy.

on 9/1/2005 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I disagree with previous reviewer who says it doesn't sell. Not true, VS has expanded the Basic Instinct line to include body products. In fact, Gisele was promoting a drink of the same name (made w/ champagne, grape juice, peach schnappes, & grenadine) on the Fashion Police show. I doubt Basic Instinct will be discontinued any time soon. It has plum wine and is more sophisticated than their other fruity-floral offerings, although I wear those too. This one is mature, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

on 7/1/2005 9:58:00 PM

WHAT A DISGUSTING SCENT!THIS WON'T BE DISCONTINUED,ONLY THE GOODS ONES DO LIKE THEIR ESSENCES DE VOYAGE.

on 6/26/2005 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love Angel, and this one reminds me of it, but not so spicy. My husband tells me it smells so sexy. Not a scent for summer, but more for going out in the Autumn or Winter. I feel a little like a 1940's glam girl in this, oh so sexy...we'll see how I feel after 3.4 oz...

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I can't believe all the bad reviews! I guess this is because this seems like a more serious perfume and not a fruity floral, like a lot of VS scents. I would say it's an oriental chypre with a lot of patchouli in the base, I smell fruits the top, and a lovely floral center, and vanilla and patchouli in the base.

Here are the notes:Port Plum Wine, Apricot, Turkish Rose, Gardenia, Wild Tuberose, Patchouli, and Vanilla Orchid.

When I first smelled it, the florals + patchouli was slightly remininscent of Giorgio, but now that I have smelled it more, I think it's a very original scent with the Port Wine note and patchouli base. Seriously sexy...makes me want to meow!!!