Victoria's Secret Basic Instinct

Victoria's Secret Basic Instinct

3.0

Purchased on a whim because my kids said it reminded them of their beloved grandmother (dicey, I know). Others have said it smells like Paloma, true, but I never hated Paloma like I hate this. It's like being trapped in a refrigerator box with the Red Hat club. My right nostril has taken out an order of protection against me, the left is consulting a psychic.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is great for those times when you want to cut loose and smell bold and sexy! I first smelled this a few weeks ago on a stranger and couldn't resist asking her what she was wearing. She broke a sly smile and said, "Basic Instinct. Isn't it great?". I was immediately drawn to it and knew I had to have a bottle. The opening is all plummy wine richness, then it morphs into a deep, seductive patchouli/vanilla heaven mingled with exotic florals. This is a love it or hate it fragrance. If you like to play it safe with perfume, this is not for you, but if you've got a wild woman inside that wants to come out and play, Basic Instinct would be a perfect partner in crime. I'm not a Victoria Secret fragrance fan, but they got it right with this one.

on 10/10/2006 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This scent is, believe it or not, what SJP Lovely and Narciso Rodriguez should have been. They are all similar in character, although BI definitely packs more of a punch. BI also has a port wine note (subtle, though) in the top that burns off quickly. The heart is a fabulous bold musk with the tiniest hint of a vague sort of fruit--grape?--in the far, far back. The best scent VS has ever done, hands down. Sadly pulled for now, but I hear it'll be back for the holidays. Let's hope. :-)

on 4/14/2006 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I love this-it's very patchouli-ish.I think you really have to like that to enjoy this fragrance.I find it to be a very sexy scent-but probably too strong for summer.

on 9/1/2005 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I disagree with previous reviewer who says it doesn't sell. Not true, VS has expanded the Basic Instinct line to include body products. In fact, Gisele was promoting a drink of the same name (made w/ champagne, grape juice, peach schnappes, & grenadine) on the Fashion Police show. I doubt Basic Instinct will be discontinued any time soon. It has plum wine and is more sophisticated than their other fruity-floral offerings, although I wear those too. This one is mature, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I can't believe all the bad reviews! I guess this is because this seems like a more serious perfume and not a fruity floral, like a lot of VS scents. I would say it's an oriental chypre with a lot of patchouli in the base, I smell fruits the top, and a lovely floral center, and vanilla and patchouli in the base.

Here are the notes:Port Plum Wine, Apricot, Turkish Rose, Gardenia, Wild Tuberose, Patchouli, and Vanilla Orchid.

When I first smelled it, the florals + patchouli was slightly remininscent of Giorgio, but now that I have smelled it more, I think it's a very original scent with the Port Wine note and patchouli base. Seriously sexy...makes me want to meow!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Fragrance is a highly personal thing, and totally subjective. Sometimes we make emotional or other connections with a scent. Like vanilla=comfort, rose=innocent, pine=Christmas. Well, if I were to make an association with this scent, it would have to be, and please excuse me for being blunt "Whore." This is a scent that somehow says "Sex!"without being sexy. I'm not a prude. I adore sex, but it's not a message I want to send with my perfume, and if I did want to send it with my perfume, it wouldn't be this one. I can't identify any of the notes of this because I really didn't take that deep or long of a sniff. It's strong, it's deep, it's got some notes to it sort of like Estee Lauder's Youth Dew perhaps. Just SO not my thing.

on 1/24/2013 10:45:00 PM

compare to Narcisso Rodriguez and you will be suprised they seem to be siblings ;) I voted price as cheap bc got it on the 75% off table!
It is a strong fragrance deep plummy dark rose! I also own the Splash and since it's a tad bit lighter, I enjoy it even more! Naughty rose is what you seek with some yummy plummy and a bit of patchouly then this is your fragrance!

Eyes: Violet

The perfume bottle is exquisite in beauty. Deep purple with 2 bands of diamond crystal across the lid. It looks very luxurious. The mystery end there. It's a patchouli, fruity, woody, sweet, white floral, earthy scent all mixed together.The fragrance features apricot, tuberose, gardenia, plum, patchouli, turkish rose and vanilla.

People either hate or love this perfume. It seems like there is no in between. Probably best for the more mature demographic. This is a strong scent. It will knock you off your sock if you're used to the other sweeter VS scents. Very strong sharp acrid masculine scent. People with sensitive noses and system will be in shock. Those less sensitive will be able to surpass all obstacle and get to the scent. Just not my taste. This perfume in my opinion belongs to the offensive scents. Meaning I cannot even handle the fragrant from a distant to even give it a chance on my skin. Head ache inducing perfume.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this @ %50 recently and I totally loved it! By the time i went to VS only 3 bottles were left and body mists/splashes. Sadly I did not find the lotion anymore, but I got this perfume which is awesome! the scent lasts a long time too! sadly i hear it is discontinued but they bring out favorites once in a while.