Victoria's Secret Basic Instinct

2.5

on 7/4/2006 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I too like this one very much - FOR ITS TOP NOTES..... for the first hour, I thought I had found a winner! The drydown was dissapointing however. It seemed to morph into something kindo ordinary and non-descript.

The patchouli won the 3 lippies - the drydown cost it the other 2.

on 9/1/2005 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I disagree with previous reviewer who says it doesn't sell. Not true, VS has expanded the Basic Instinct line to include body products. In fact, Gisele was promoting a drink of the same name (made w/ champagne, grape juice, peach schnappes, & grenadine) on the Fashion Police show. I doubt Basic Instinct will be discontinued any time soon. It has plum wine and is more sophisticated than their other fruity-floral offerings, although I wear those too. This one is mature, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Purchased on a whim because my kids said it reminded them of their beloved grandmother (dicey, I know). Others have said it smells like Paloma, true, but I never hated Paloma like I hate this. It's like being trapped in a refrigerator box with the Red Hat club. My right nostril has taken out an order of protection against me, the left is consulting a psychic.

on 2/19/2005 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Bought this a few days ago, what was I thinking. WAAAAyyy too strong and perfumey smelling. And the scent lasted and lasted. How come that never happens with the perfumes I love?! Returning it to the store today, will exchange for something else.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Fragrance is a highly personal thing, and totally subjective. Sometimes we make emotional or other connections with a scent. Like vanilla=comfort, rose=innocent, pine=Christmas. Well, if I were to make an association with this scent, it would have to be, and please excuse me for being blunt "Whore." This is a scent that somehow says "Sex!"without being sexy. I'm not a prude. I adore sex, but it's not a message I want to send with my perfume, and if I did want to send it with my perfume, it wouldn't be this one. I can't identify any of the notes of this because I really didn't take that deep or long of a sniff. It's strong, it's deep, it's got some notes to it sort of like Estee Lauder's Youth Dew perhaps. Just SO not my thing.

At first it's a bit sharp & strong - but let it settle down a minute and it quickly changes completely. Then it becomes a deep sexy close-to-the-skin musk with just a little vibrancy - and it smells to me very close to Narciso Rodriguez. I love it.

Popular Fragrances