Dior Rouge Lvres - Lipstick (general)

No Image

3.9

on 5/3/2017 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

You would think that given the brand and price that this lipstick would be out of this world. At least, that’s what I figured when I giddily purchased this item from the department store. I’d gotten a gift certificate as a birthday present and decided to buy my first ever high-end lipstick. Before I launch into why I don’t reach for this item all that often, let me list a few of the pros. First off, the packaging is simple but elegant. No bells and whistles here, but it’s unmistakably Dior.
Secondly, the product itself has a faint but pleasant scent that isn’t cloying or lingering. I find it’s impossible to find a lipstick that’s scent-free, so if I had to choose a preferred lipstick scent, it would certainly be this one. Lastly, the creamy formula feels silky luxurious upon application. Now for the cons.
While the pigment was decent, it is nothing comparing to many of its counterparts. In the tube, the colour looks deep red, but upon application, be it on my lips or a test swatch on my rest, it comes out slightly shimmery and more of a deep rose. Meanwhile, while I do praise the luxuriousness of the formula, perhaps it’s a tad too much because I find it just has too much slip; it feathers easily, especially if you haven’t lined your lips. Furthermore, the slip is greasy enough that the inner part of the lower lip has no hope of holding any colour. So you end up with that dreaded line where the colour cuts off.
The only way that this product works for me is if I fill in my lips with a darker lip liner and top it with the Dior. This does achieve a beautiful look, as the Dior is quite moisturizing and pairs well with any berry-hued lip liner. But seriously, this isn’t what I bought this lipstick for and I definitely won’t be repurchasing!

on 5/11/2007 8:17:00 AM

This is greasy lipstick that does not have much lasting powder. Many colors here are very gorgeous on my lips though making my lips look more smooth and voluminous. And my lips have never been in better condition as when I used Dior Addict lipstick. They are also very fragranced.

on 12/12/2006 1:26:00 PM

Generally nice and plain lipstick, I got it in Etincelle Sparkling Red 543. That is one classic red and goes well even to very fair-pinkish toned complexion.Lucky coinsidence, since I bought it from webshop. The lasting power isn't very good, but better then my previous very red lipstick from Maybelline. V. good for photoshoot or important event though.

on 5/14/2006 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Of all the lipsticks I own, this Christian Dior line has the worst staying power. I love color #277 Palmier (Palm Tree) pink/lavender for summer. But because the consistency doesn't hold up like Chanel and YSL lipsticks, by comparison, CD Rouge A Levres looks like it should be reapplied after a few hours.

on 3/29/2006 4:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this at my drug store. They had many dior products for 50% off. As a Dior fan, I don't need to say I bought some things. One of them was this lipstick, in 149 Cupids Rose (Rose Cupidon). It has a subtle, whisperlight floral scent, very nice. The colour is a super-soft light pink. It barely appears on your lips and looks beautiful. If you're going for a natural look, I HIGHLY recommend this lipstick. It doesn't feather or stain and lasts quite a long time. If I had to describe this lippie in no more than 10 words, I would say: A whisperlight veil of natural pink.

on 8/6/2005 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

One of my favorites. Packaging is very cute and the color is beautiful! I don't normally like the smell of lipsticks but this one is pleasant. I would love to buy this product again if I have the money. highly recommended =)

on 4/20/2005 2:28:00 PM

I have this lipstick in Sumptuous Fuschia (No. 882). I really love it. This goes on smooth and creamy, the shade is perfect, and I love the shine.

There are a couple of drawbacks. First, the lipstick has a perfume fragrance, which can be a turn off (although I don't mind it). Second, the staying power isn't great. Dior advertises this as a 5-hour lipstick, but that's usually optimistic. continued >>

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Christian Dior lipsticks are exceptionally creamy, go on evenly, and come in an outstanding array of colors--especially the luscious pinks! The package design does the product justice as you do feel that you are using a more luxurious product and indeed you are! The only place that CD lipstick falls short is in staying power. I think that Lancome makes a lipstick which doesn't have to be applied as often. Other than that-- you cannot beat this lipstick, especially for special occasions where you want the most haute en couleur for your pout!