Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.9

on 12/1/2017 5:17:00 PM

This is how I remember my grade school teachers and aunts smelling about 50 years ago. No, not horrible, just a vague spicy/floral combination. Grown women didn't wear scents that screamed sex back in those days, well, certainly not to work or family functions. Perfume is highly subjective, very much an art, and each generation typically eschews the artistic tastes of the last.

This doesn't offend me, but it also doesn't do anything for me. It is strange that ads for this used to appear in Seventeen magazine, back in the 70's. I can't imagine a teenager contemplating a scent remotely like this now.

Probably due to the marketing, I received a Christmas gift of this as a teenager from a slightly older admirer around 1976. The relationship never went anywhere, I didn't wear the perfume, and here I am reviewing it 40 years later. I didn't understand it as a serious romantic gift at the time. I do now, but this still seems like a generic scent worn post WWII

on 1/2/2015 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Love! L'air d temps is wonderful. Beautifully balanced,soft and spicy and subtle but lasts all day. I know this has a long history so people seem to associate it with older relatives but I really don't think of this as an older woman's perfume I think its classy and wearable for anyone.
I took one star off for the packaging just because I think the white travel ones are hideous and the new bottles with the clear doves aren't as nice as the old, frosted ones - really, why change a classic?
Also its cheap - really, really cheap when you think what a fantastic perfume it is and the history its got. You can find it for about the same price as a celeb perfume. I got a 50ml edt of L'air for 15.
Apparently this has been reformulated but the new one smells the same to me so they are still pretty much the same.

My grandmother always wore L'air du Temps, and when we were kids, my sisters and I were on a waiting list to get the emptied bottles :) Doing a little research on eBay, I realized, based on the bottles I remembered, that she used both the parfum and the toilette. I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately, and wanted to buy a bottle for myself, but many of the internet reviews I've read discouraged me and made me think the classic smell had been changed. A few reviews said that the toilette smelled the same as the vintage scent, but that the parfum was completely different. I went out today (Dillards and Macy's both carry it, btw) and tested them both, and right away the parfum brought back my grandmother's signature scent. The toilette, however, was very light, not entirely recognizable, and did not last on my skin more than ten minutes or so. Now, I was an 80's kid, so the scent I remember was vintage early 80's and not any older. But the parfum I bought today still smells exactly like I remember from childhood. The parfum was slightly more expensive at $70 than the toilette at $62. Completely worth the extra few bucks for a scent that lasts so well. Hopefully this review will encourage ladies with a wave of nostalgia to not dismiss L'Air du Temps without at least going and testing it for yourself. I am very happy with my purchase, and wow, this scent brings back so many happy memories!

on 1/28/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar
I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.

that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
has been my experince with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

This is a classic elegant floral scent which has been one of my favorites
for the past 36 + years, ever since I was first gifted with a bottle of this as a teenager. It is, in fact, my second favorite scent, right behind Chanel No. 5. Because this scent is lighter than No. 5, I find it more appropriate for work and daytime wear.
This scent is elegant and long lasting, without being over powering. The beautiful bottle is simple elegance in and of itself. I've tried many other perfumes over the years but keep coming back to LAdT over and over again.
This is a lovely light yet long lasting floral scent appropriate to casual or formal wear. It goes well from day to evening use. There is nothing dated about LAdT. I find it as fresh and lively as D & Gs Light Blue but L'Air du Temps has more lasting power.
I highly recommend L'air du Temps to any lover of fine floral scents.

on 12/16/2009 6:36:00 AM

i loved this fragrance when i first smelled it eons ago. i bought a bottle and never wear it. i love the spicy carnation note and lasting power but always reach for something else. i just might wear this yet today now that i am thinking about it.

on 7/4/2009 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My absolute favorite in the world scent. Flowery, but not cloying -- very sophisticated and elegant. I'm in my mid 40's now, and I've worn this since high school. I am subject to migraines and this is one of very few fragrances that don't smell chemically to me, and give me a headache. Other favorites of mine are Chantilly and Shalimar.

on 6/14/2009 1:21:00 PM

I used to wear this years ago (like 30 or more years!) and liked it at the time so I thought I would try it again when I saw some miniatures on a website. The bottle looks really dinky as they have tried to make it an exact replica of the full size bottle, with the dove stopper as well. However this counts against it when you actually want to use it. The stopper is in fact almost as big as the miniature bottle and doesn't go in very well. Being a bit heavy handed, I forced it and half of the stopper broke off so I can now only keep the bottle upright. I doubt that this is a problem with the full size bottle.

As for the perfume itself, I was sadly disappointed. I think 30 years ago we didn't have such a good selection of fragrances on the market and were grateful for anything we could get! In fact, I think fragrances all tended to have a very similar smell. I now look on these as old fashioned and I wouldn't wear this again.

The only plus I suppose it that it is a good laster - a little applied in the morning lasts until well into the afternoon.

on 4/26/2009 9:29:00 AM

I would wear this perfume if i were in my late 30's-40's.
To me it smells luxurious and sophisticated, not really old ladyish, but by no means girly or infantile.
It's a lovely powdery smell with a prominence or carnation. Pleasing for my nose, however it's indeed not for the youngest audience. It's quite heavy and very long-lasting.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Floral perfume...Powdery,carnations,rose...nice for all occasions...