Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.9

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

While I was growing up, my mother rotated mainly between three fragrances~ Wind Song, L'Air Du Temps and Joy. There were other fragrances she wore on occasion, but these three were her top picks.

I associate L'Air du Temps with a woman going out for a night on the town with her husband. This is usually when my mother wore this fragrance.

When first spritzed, it is a bit cloying, but softens as it works its way from top notes to dry down. This is best used with a light hand, or spritzed into the air, then walk through the fragrance as it disperses and wafts to the floor.

Top notes to my nose~mixture of a woodsy, floral scent (woody floral could be the violet?) and musk. Middle notes~softer version of top notes with spices making an appearance. Dry down~floriental musk, and smell a touch of wood, amber and spice. The spice in this floriental is not headache and nausea inducing.

Bottle is lovely. It's a clear, spiral glass with two Doves intertwined atop the cap. It looks elegant sitting on a mirrored vanity tray.

Rating this with four lippies because of memories associated with this fragrance.

on 4/30/2013 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Sadly, very few so-called timeless classics ever work on me - I seem to be cursed (or blessed?) with the kind of skin, that works mostly with zeitgeist and the perfumes of "now and possibly tomorrow". Particularly badly my chemistry interacts with powdery scents. My skin kills completely the following perfumes, so much loved by many: Anais Anais, Fidji, Rive Gauche ( it takes some time, but there's always very little left of what it's supposed to be ) and L'air du temps is, sadly, no exception. At first there's powder, something yellow and a little green, and 5 minutes later - NOTHING. Just powder , if I shamelessly drench the whole arm with the tester at a drugstore in a fruitless attempt to experience the glorified beauty of this classic. Who knows - it is only the hype? Or is it my chemistry? Is it the new reformulation that is to blame? The end result is - I can simply spray air on my wrist, the effect will be exactly the same. If I come across a vintage bottle - will give it a go and get back with an update.

on 1/18/2010 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

One day we played a game in the Fragrance Board and we all had to upload a pictures of ourseleves and the others had to put a fragance for you....

I was thrilled I was associated with the gorgeous scent...Needles to say I went and bought it...Much to my dismay still soo cheap to buy (good for me) but this costs a lot more , I would have payed twice as much :D

This is the *prettiest* Fragrance I have ever used. With all the meaning of the word *Pretty*....I used it as a teenager because I loved the bottle and the scent....I forgot how gorgeous it is. Maybe is a the best bottle in my Dressing Table.

To have this is a Priviledge to wear it is a pleasure that I do not get from many at all....I feel myself like I do with no others

on 5/4/2009 4:09:00 PM

My Favorite Fragrance of all time. If I could take a bath in it I would. This is what Heaven smells like I just know it

I'm not one for florals, but this is my all time favorite floral perfume. So clean and creamy fresh. I wore this in my teens and recently decided to buy another bottle after trying it again. It's as beautiful as I remember. If you like carnations blended very well with bergamot, gardenia, neroli, jasmine, may rose, cedar and vetiver you will love this gem. LdT lingers all day, it so wonderful and subtle like its your own natural scent. Stay away from the one you buy in the drugstore, I find them a bit off and the lotion is always this runny yellow liquid mess that smells horrible!. I'd rather pay a little more for it at the NR counter at big department stores like Lord & Taylor. The sales lady gave me a 3.3oz lotion with my 1.7oz edt. what a big difference! The lotion is so concentrated you can wear it on its own and the edt still has the amazing staying power...... ahh and of couse, the beautiful dove top bottle makes LdT a 5 lippie perfume.
Pure devinity.;))

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My son gave me this as a gift because I used to wear it when he was six. He is 24 now, and I am also alot older. I cannot even imagine wearing this then, but I think I did wear it for a bit. I remember it being light and floral, really pretty. Today, its pungent - strong, alcoholy/chemically, and really no pretty scent to speak of in there at all. I don't know if the formula has changed or what, but this is not something I can live with on me of course. I will put this brand new, full bottle with box up for swap since some of you really like it.

(EDT) This to me is a lovely light slightly soapy floral with just a wee bit of spice. It reminds me of a less-green, less-metallic and very slightly spicy Wind Song. L'Air du Temps is simply a pleasant and clean, dry floral, classily innocent. An optimistic flourish of springtime that brightens this gloomy midwinter day. Will repurchase.

on 11/16/2007 9:51:00 AM

When i tried this for the first time a few months ago i didnt like it. I thought it was to powderey/floral. I tried it again a few days ago and decided i liked it after all and i bought a bottle of it. I didnt realize that it is a classic and dates back to the late 40's. The phrase that comes to my mind when i wear this is "floral lemons". Like a big bowl of juicy lemons surrounded by flowers. Also, this scent goes through quite a metamorphosis on my skin. One minute i'll smell the "floral lemons" the next i'll get an Ivory soap scent and then sometimes i'll get a vanilla type scent wafting up to my nose. As the scent fades i'll get a woody type scent. I appreciate that this scent goes through stages like it does. It keeps things interesting.

on 3/10/2007 8:37:00 PM

I always found it ironic growing up that my mother would wear this, yet go into theatrical convulsions over the scents I wore. I hated this stuff as a kid, but now I actually find it soothing - probably since my mother has worn it religiously for 30 years. She barely puts any on, yet I can smell it on her all day. Go EASY with this stuff!

This may sound weird, but this scent IS my mother! When I was in high school, I found one of the white refillable bottles on her dresser (empty) and smelled it. I immediately thought "This is what mom used to smell like!" I hadn't realized her smell was perfume! (She hadn't worn it for about 5 years, before I even really thought about things like perfume) My mother doesn't buy things like perfume for herself, so ever since I got my first job, which was around the time I found that bottle, I have been keeping her with a supply. She knows that when she's getting low, the next birthday, mother's day, or christmas gift will be a bottle, but her face never fails to light up! She wears it everyday and it smells so clean and beautiful on her. When I was away in college, I would sometimes pass the beauty counter and stop to smell the L'Ai du Temps just to feel like my mom was with me. I can't wait for Christmas this year, because I bought her the biggest bottle I could find! Her bottle now has only a few squirts and she is conserving it. Now, since I am starting my own family, I am looking for a perfume that my kids will associate with me the way I associate L'Air du Temps with my mom! Unfortunately, I did not inherit her body chemistry, and need to lean more towards oriental perfumes. Right now, Coco Mademoiselle takes the cake, when used VERY lightly!

Popular Fragrances