Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

L'Air du Temps
I always return to this one. A lovely fresh, light oriental/floral fragrance. A true classic that is still relevant in today's world.

I think perfume is one of the most subject things, but really, I just don't understand this one's popularity.

I suspect that this fragrance has succeeded based on its reputation for being a ''classic''. Women will buy it, because they figure it's such a classic you can't go wrong with it - it's safe, like buying Chanel no 5. If this was released on the market today, I'm pretty sure it would fail.

There's no complexity or interest to the scent. It smells like a nursing mother wearing a lot of deodorant. It's so floral, it's slightly nauseating. Imagine a mix of milk, baby powder, and acid. It's light and smooth enough to be a 'young' scent, but in reality I've smelled it on a lot of 40 year-old Mums, so perhaps that's where my prejudice comes from.

This perfume manages to be a total paradox. It's boring whilst being aggressive, should be young but smells old, essentially, it's synthetic baby milk. And pretty bloody over-powering baby milk, by the way. I sprayed l'air du temps on the back of my hand, and Chanel no 19 on my wrist...the Chanel was completely eradicated by l'air du temps - it vanished.

If you want the smoothness and prettiness of this scent without the nausea, try Dahlia Noir.

on 8/25/2011 6:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

on 9/10/2009 7:07:00 PM

Every Christmas, from the time I was 25 until she passed in 2001, my mother gave me this fragrance. And every Christmas since then, I still find it in my stocking (my husand and sons know it's my Christmas expectation). Sometimes it's lotion, sometime eau de parfum - it's always welcome, and it always lasts me till the next Christmas comes around. It's my favorite fragrance in the world becuase, on me, it smells DIVINE. In this fragrance, I feel like I'm walking in the Garden of Eden.
My mom's signature fragrance was Chanel No. 5, which was perfect for her. She picked this one for me, and she picked well. I never feel completely dressed (when I'm really dressing up) without L'Air du Temps.

on 8/14/2008 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I discovered two vintage sample vials of this in a drawer. This was a big scent in the '70s and was the epitome of French-ness, with an ad campaign featuring gauzy pics of young women (shot by David Hamilton!) These bottles are from the early 80's, so I'm assuming this is pre-reformulation, and the fragrance is different to my nose. It's an unusual and distinctive clove-carnation smell, not unsimilar to LUSH's "Fever," if you're into that. The vintage is pretty nice, light, a good daytime city fragrance, but the clove sticks out (to me) in the reformulation. Actually, I think this would make a pretty good masculine...

on 7/2/2008 12:23:00 PM

This is the ONLY parfume I use. My beloved Grandmother wore this from the day it came out to the day she passed away. I am carrying on her love for this parfume.

It has a lovely scent, the glamour of old Hollywood. I could see Rita Hayworth or Marilyn Monroe wearing this.

I'm only worried because my local Kmart has carried this for years, but yesterday it was all gone. They always keep a large supply of this, so it's pretty unlikely it's sold out. I hope Longs still has it.

on 1/27/2008 6:40:00 PM

Some of my fondest memories are tied into L'Air Du Temps... my mother wore it and she was the epitome of feminine elegance. When she wore it, it would waft from her skin and form a fragrant halo around her.

I won't bother breaking it down by note, but this is a timeless fragrance and is as relevant today as when it first launched. It's considered one of the Top 5, and for very good reason.

Feminine, elegant, classic.

on 1/12/2008 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I must stand in defense of this fragrance. I understand that many ladies of an older generation wear this scent, but I don't think it makes it "old ladyish" by any stretch. To me, old lady means the overpowering smell of roses, violets or lilac. L'Air du Temps is a light floral -- not heady or sickeningly sweet. And yes, this is the smell of my mother as she emerged from her evening bath; in my mind, it's the epitome of femininity. Classic and lovely.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OK, ok, won't call this "old lady" because that's just too obvious, and apparently some people don't like it being called that. It certainly is mature though. I gave it two lippies for fantastic staying power. Such staying power, in fact, that when I tried it on at the airport I could not wash it off and I was stuck on a small plane with a mature floral bubble surrounding me.

It was not for me.

on 5/13/2007 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This reminds me of Chanel no. 5. It is a totally cloying slickly sweet stomach ache producing chemical smell. I did wear this a few times way back 30 years ago but never did like it. When they are this syrupy sweet they gag me, especially when they have this strong musk undertone. Room deoderizer in a gas station bathroom smell.

Popular Fragrances