Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.5

on 12/15/2017 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Where did the scent go?!
I am something of a lazy classic perfume lover: I'm far from a connoisseur who seeks out vintage bottles, and I'm more than happy to use modern reformulations. They may have lost their former glory (I don't even want to find out and be disappointed), but the style, whether it's a "pure perfume" aldehyde or a bold oriental floral, is close to my heart.

On paper, it sounded like everything I like in a scent - soft flowers with a kick of spiciness, musky and woody base. In reality, L'air turned out to be a perfumed soap that's been left in a drawer for decades - a faint spicy clove or carnation appears and disappears, then a more powdery/soapy note, like after using an old-fashioned bar soap and talcum, and then...absolutely nothing. No fluffy red carnations or roses, no post-war fireworks, no smoky and spicy base notes characteristic of older scents. At least when I try a perfume for the first time, before I get too used to it, I can smell it on me the entire day - not with this. No reaction from others either, not even "What's that smell? Maybe you should see a skin doctor." (I'm pretty sure Hannibal Lecter won't be able to tell that I "sometimes wear L'air du temps" with the current formulation!)
I see this perfume often on the drugstore shelves between L'eau de Playboy and L'eau de Justin Bieber and, sadly, this feels like an appropriate place - looks like this sometime-legendary perfume is following the dying path of Evyan's White Shoulders rather than Shalimar. Mind you, I'm not talking about the price point - there are some excellent drugstore-grade scents - it just feels like Nina Ricci gave up on this one.

on 1/2/2015 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Love! L'air d temps is wonderful. Beautifully balanced,soft and spicy and subtle but lasts all day. I know this has a long history so people seem to associate it with older relatives but I really don't think of this as an older woman's perfume I think its classy and wearable for anyone.
I took one star off for the packaging just because I think the white travel ones are hideous and the new bottles with the clear doves aren't as nice as the old, frosted ones - really, why change a classic?
Also its cheap - really, really cheap when you think what a fantastic perfume it is and the history its got. You can find it for about the same price as a celeb perfume. I got a 50ml edt of L'air for 15.
Apparently this has been reformulated but the new one smells the same to me so they are still pretty much the same.

on 2/1/2013 10:40:00 PM

Get the edp if you can as the staying power is brilliant. What can I say, a classic, clovey carnation. Beautiful, feminine, unmistakable - wonderful, just wonderful

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I just bought it because of Nina Ricci's name..great packaging and wikipeidia has a page about this iconic perfume...Its bad please dont buy it its too sweet smells like a jasmine based hair oil ..I detest...I live in India.. and here villagers use this hair oil in abundance and where ever they go they carry this yukkie smell..Eeewww.I bought it and the moment I put this on it transported me in to bus or a train full of people reeking with the overuse of jasmine hair oil.....I have a problem with jasmine or say so much of jasmine.. and sandal wood...we have it all around us in temples...roses also...This is not I would like to put on my body...I gifted it away to my sister ..who also seems to not like it..Last time I asked her about the perfume she said that she has put it in her cubboard... post that she was quiet...I'm sorry Sis... :(< I will get you something nice but not from Nina ricci...

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This scent smells kind of like baby powder to me. It's simple; too simple to be sexy or interesting or alluring. It smells sterile, there's nothing sexy about it. It smells like you've dusted yourself with baby powder. It smells like your mother.

on 1/18/2010 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

One day we played a game in the Fragrance Board and we all had to upload a pictures of ourseleves and the others had to put a fragance for you....

I was thrilled I was associated with the gorgeous scent...Needles to say I went and bought it...Much to my dismay still soo cheap to buy (good for me) but this costs a lot more , I would have payed twice as much :D

This is the *prettiest* Fragrance I have ever used. With all the meaning of the word *Pretty*....I used it as a teenager because I loved the bottle and the scent....I forgot how gorgeous it is. Maybe is a the best bottle in my Dressing Table.

To have this is a Priviledge to wear it is a pleasure that I do not get from many at all....I feel myself like I do with no others

on 12/16/2009 6:36:00 AM

i loved this fragrance when i first smelled it eons ago. i bought a bottle and never wear it. i love the spicy carnation note and lasting power but always reach for something else. i just might wear this yet today now that i am thinking about it.

on 9/10/2009 7:07:00 PM

Every Christmas, from the time I was 25 until she passed in 2001, my mother gave me this fragrance. And every Christmas since then, I still find it in my stocking (my husand and sons know it's my Christmas expectation). Sometimes it's lotion, sometime eau de parfum - it's always welcome, and it always lasts me till the next Christmas comes around. It's my favorite fragrance in the world becuase, on me, it smells DIVINE. In this fragrance, I feel like I'm walking in the Garden of Eden.
My mom's signature fragrance was Chanel No. 5, which was perfect for her. She picked this one for me, and she picked well. I never feel completely dressed (when I'm really dressing up) without L'Air du Temps.

This is a lovely perfume. It's not for me, however. I can see this on the 40s starlet with the ruby red lipstick and the gorgeous short hair...like Keira Knightley in Atonement? BUt she wouldn't be the one to wear it..Briony would. (Also, if anyone watches the BBC program "My Family" .. I could totally see Janey wearing this...maybe it's just me, but it's like Janey in a bottle)
It's light and floral and fresh, and suitable for all occasions. Unfortunately it doesn't suit me, but on the people it does, it's amazing continued >>

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Floral perfume...Powdery,carnations,rose...nice for all occasions...