Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

While I was growing up, my mother rotated mainly between three fragrances~ Wind Song, L'Air Du Temps and Joy. There were other fragrances she wore on occasion, but these three were her top picks.

I associate L'Air du Temps with a woman going out for a night on the town with her husband. This is usually when my mother wore this fragrance.

When first spritzed, it is a bit cloying, but softens as it works its way from top notes to dry down. This is best used with a light hand, or spritzed into the air, then walk through the fragrance as it disperses and wafts to the floor.

Top notes to my nose~mixture of a woodsy, floral scent (woody floral could be the violet?) and musk. Middle notes~softer version of top notes with spices making an appearance. Dry down~floriental musk, and smell a touch of wood, amber and spice. The spice in this floriental is not headache and nausea inducing.

Bottle is lovely. It's a clear, spiral glass with two Doves intertwined atop the cap. It looks elegant sitting on a mirrored vanity tray.

Rating this with four lippies because of memories associated with this fragrance.

My grandmother always wore L'air du Temps, and when we were kids, my sisters and I were on a waiting list to get the emptied bottles :) Doing a little research on eBay, I realized, based on the bottles I remembered, that she used both the parfum and the toilette. I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately, and wanted to buy a bottle for myself, but many of the internet reviews I've read discouraged me and made me think the classic smell had been changed. A few reviews said that the toilette smelled the same as the vintage scent, but that the parfum was completely different. I went out today (Dillards and Macy's both carry it, btw) and tested them both, and right away the parfum brought back my grandmother's signature scent. The toilette, however, was very light, not entirely recognizable, and did not last on my skin more than ten minutes or so. Now, I was an 80's kid, so the scent I remember was vintage early 80's and not any older. But the parfum I bought today still smells exactly like I remember from childhood. The parfum was slightly more expensive at $70 than the toilette at $62. Completely worth the extra few bucks for a scent that lasts so well. Hopefully this review will encourage ladies with a wave of nostalgia to not dismiss L'Air du Temps without at least going and testing it for yourself. I am very happy with my purchase, and wow, this scent brings back so many happy memories!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

L'Air du Temps
I always return to this one. A lovely fresh, light oriental/floral fragrance. A true classic that is still relevant in today's world.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This was one of my grandmother's favourite fragrances, so I will always have a bottle in my collection for this reason alone. I also like the history and inspiration behind it, and the fact that it has been worn loyally by so many women since its inception.

I understand that this fragrance lost something of its essence due to modern reformulation requirements, and I currently only have a modern EDT version to hand. Its current incarnation smells like powdery citrus to me, quite sheer, perfectly pleasant, great for warm weather and pretty much any occasion. I can't see this offending anyone's fragrance sensibilities and I also do not think that this smells like something reserved for the mature set.

The reason I haven't awarded full points is that this fragrance only has very average lasting power on my skin and seems to go pretty much unnoticed by everyone. Once my bottle is finished I will seek out the parfum version in the hopes of a bit more oomph.

This classic is definitely worth a try, and probably a real winner for citrus and powder lovers who do not want an overwhelming scent, but simply a low-key, affable one.

on 8/25/2011 6:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

Over the past fifteen or twenty years, I have periodically tested L'Air du Temps on my wrist whenever I would see a bottle at the department store. I guess I've never had the privilege of testing the magnificent original that everyone raves about, because the reformulated version just doesn't thrill me, no matter how many times I sample it. It's just a pretty soap-like fragrance that's too nondescript on my skin to be worth wearing.

I'm honestly surprised at the reviewers who say the reformulation is too strong or headache-inducing, because whenever I spray this on, I have a hard time believing I'm wearing any fragrance at all. The olfactory impression on my skin is just soap, soap, soap. If this perfume made a statement on me, that statement would be nothing more profound than "I have recently bathed." This is not to say that I dislike all faint perfumes or soapy perfumes, it's just that this particular perfume doesn't work with my chemistry to create an interesting result.

on 7/4/2009 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My absolute favorite in the world scent. Flowery, but not cloying -- very sophisticated and elegant. I'm in my mid 40's now, and I've worn this since high school. I am subject to migraines and this is one of very few fragrances that don't smell chemically to me, and give me a headache. Other favorites of mine are Chantilly and Shalimar.

on 5/4/2009 4:09:00 PM

My Favorite Fragrance of all time. If I could take a bath in it I would. This is what Heaven smells like I just know it

on 8/16/2008 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Only reason why I'm giving 2 lippies is because I used to like this perfume as a little girl (got a sample size from my mom when I was 5). I recently tried this last summer and the scent grew stronger (in a bad way) until I had an aching headache and had to rinse my wrists under running water for what seemed like hours to get the scent off.

(EDT) This to me is a lovely light slightly soapy floral with just a wee bit of spice. It reminds me of a less-green, less-metallic and very slightly spicy Wind Song. L'Air du Temps is simply a pleasant and clean, dry floral, classily innocent. An optimistic flourish of springtime that brightens this gloomy midwinter day. Will repurchase.