Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.9

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

While I was growing up, my mother rotated mainly between three fragrances~ Wind Song, L'Air Du Temps and Joy. There were other fragrances she wore on occasion, but these three were her top picks.

I associate L'Air du Temps with a woman going out for a night on the town with her husband. This is usually when my mother wore this fragrance.

When first spritzed, it is a bit cloying, but softens as it works its way from top notes to dry down. This is best used with a light hand, or spritzed into the air, then walk through the fragrance as it disperses and wafts to the floor.

Top notes to my nose~mixture of a woodsy, floral scent (woody floral could be the violet?) and musk. Middle notes~softer version of top notes with spices making an appearance. Dry down~floriental musk, and smell a touch of wood, amber and spice. The spice in this floriental is not headache and nausea inducing.

Bottle is lovely. It's a clear, spiral glass with two Doves intertwined atop the cap. It looks elegant sitting on a mirrored vanity tray.

Rating this with four lippies because of memories associated with this fragrance.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

L'Air du Temps
I always return to this one. A lovely fresh, light oriental/floral fragrance. A true classic that is still relevant in today's world.

on 12/16/2009 6:36:00 AM

i loved this fragrance when i first smelled it eons ago. i bought a bottle and never wear it. i love the spicy carnation note and lasting power but always reach for something else. i just might wear this yet today now that i am thinking about it.

on 11/18/2009 6:04:00 PM

I've heard a lot of people describe this as an "old lady" perfume, well I'm not one of them. I actually used to wear this about 10 years ago and remember it as a very clean floral smell that always reeled in the compliments and inquiries wherever I went. Not sure if it still smells the same as back then, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another go in the future.

on 10/15/2009 10:24:00 AM

Many years ago this was my first 'real' perfume and how I loved it - a beautiful satiny floral, rich but cool. When I wore it I felt as if I was walking with my lover through an enchanted garden whilst wearing a satin ballgown. I moved on - Jicky, Coco, Osmanthe Yunnan - but every time I passed L'AdT on the fragrance counter I thought 'First love; should try it again'.

A few weeks ago I did, and although lover, flowers & ballgown were still there, it felt that he wasn't talking to me, the flowers were drooping & the ballgown was nylon. I was heartbroken & felt maybe it was me. Then a friend showed me the reference in The Guide and I understood what had happened.

A warning to us all: when you love a perfume buy plenty before those dear people at HQ rip the guts out of it.

on 4/26/2009 9:29:00 AM

I would wear this perfume if i were in my late 30's-40's.
To me it smells luxurious and sophisticated, not really old ladyish, but by no means girly or infantile.
It's a lovely powdery smell with a prominence or carnation. Pleasing for my nose, however it's indeed not for the youngest audience. It's quite heavy and very long-lasting.

on 1/19/2009 3:07:00 AM

My first perfume and the fragrance of my teenage years--I kept the beautiful bottle on my dresser for years after the perfume was gone.
Not too strong or sweet--just perfect, evocative of spring.

(Note to prior reviewer: it's a dove on the bottle top, not a falcon!)

on 12/15/2008 1:38:00 AM

This fragrance smells like tissue with a slight hint of carnation and powder without the typical vanilla scent to the powder. But mostly it smells like tissue. This is to my untrained nose. However, the fragrance has such a nice history and a really beautiful bottle.

I'm not one for florals, but this is my all time favorite floral perfume. So clean and creamy fresh. I wore this in my teens and recently decided to buy another bottle after trying it again. It's as beautiful as I remember. If you like carnations blended very well with bergamot, gardenia, neroli, jasmine, may rose, cedar and vetiver you will love this gem. LdT lingers all day, it so wonderful and subtle like its your own natural scent. Stay away from the one you buy in the drugstore, I find them a bit off and the lotion is always this runny yellow liquid mess that smells horrible!. I'd rather pay a little more for it at the NR counter at big department stores like Lord & Taylor. The sales lady gave me a 3.3oz lotion with my 1.7oz edt. what a big difference! The lotion is so concentrated you can wear it on its own and the edt still has the amazing staying power...... ahh and of couse, the beautiful dove top bottle makes LdT a 5 lippie perfume.
Pure devinity.;))

A beautiful slightly spicy carnation scent with a tinge of soap and soft musk. Sweet, clean, elegant, innocent. Perfect for the office, it won't overpower your co-workers. If you love carnation, you can't go wrong with this classic.

Popular Fragrances