Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

L'Air du Temps
I always return to this one. A lovely fresh, light oriental/floral fragrance. A true classic that is still relevant in today's world.

I think perfume is one of the most subject things, but really, I just don't understand this one's popularity.

I suspect that this fragrance has succeeded based on its reputation for being a ''classic''. Women will buy it, because they figure it's such a classic you can't go wrong with it - it's safe, like buying Chanel no 5. If this was released on the market today, I'm pretty sure it would fail.

There's no complexity or interest to the scent. It smells like a nursing mother wearing a lot of deodorant. It's so floral, it's slightly nauseating. Imagine a mix of milk, baby powder, and acid. It's light and smooth enough to be a 'young' scent, but in reality I've smelled it on a lot of 40 year-old Mums, so perhaps that's where my prejudice comes from.

This perfume manages to be a total paradox. It's boring whilst being aggressive, should be young but smells old, essentially, it's synthetic baby milk. And pretty bloody over-powering baby milk, by the way. I sprayed l'air du temps on the back of my hand, and Chanel no 19 on my wrist...the Chanel was completely eradicated by l'air du temps - it vanished.

If you want the smoothness and prettiness of this scent without the nausea, try Dahlia Noir.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My son gave me this as a gift because I used to wear it when he was six. He is 24 now, and I am also alot older. I cannot even imagine wearing this then, but I think I did wear it for a bit. I remember it being light and floral, really pretty. Today, its pungent - strong, alcoholy/chemically, and really no pretty scent to speak of in there at all. I don't know if the formula has changed or what, but this is not something I can live with on me of course. I will put this brand new, full bottle with box up for swap since some of you really like it.

on 1/29/2008 10:04:00 AM

WOW this is strong. Super-perfumish kind of a chemical smell. Very, very rarely do perfumes give me a headache but this is one of them...but my Grandmother wears this rarely (usually white shoulders)and on her, it is O.K. but I still get a headache if too close. I'm surprised to see so many people like this...I prefer heady fragrances but this is too much for me! Glad to see some enjoying it....

on 10/19/2007 1:23:00 PM

L’Air du Temps reflects true romance and dream, the “Mood of the Time” after World War II when people longed for peace, liberty and free spirit after long strife. This scent reminds me of sweet memory when I was a child living with my grandmother and my aunt who adored this scent. It makes me feel “at home”, with warmth and protection as if these two ladies were still with me. Of course this is “old school” but in a very nice way. It’s like a song in your heart, poetic, dreamy and enchanting, something I imagine a very refined and ethereal lady in flowing chiffon would wear. I smell the fresh, green opening and the floral heart. The character of flower is soft, sweet and alluring, with the combination of sumptuous white bouquet and soft rose. The drydown is earthy and spicy, a little bit soapy but still very nice. Too bad I can’t spray this directly on my skin, cause it will turns to this rotten flower smell. I have to spray it on my clothes instead…such a bad chemistry. After all, this is truly a gem. Don’t care about someone calling this “old lady”, as I’m in my 20s and dislike strong and cloying aldehyde-powdery note of fragrances in the same era, but this is different and truly worth a try for everyone who appreciates the art of perfumery.

on 8/1/2007 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I inherited my bottle when my Grandmother passed away. I began wearing it when I wanted to feel close to her but continued past the point of my greatest grief because I like it all on my own. It's a slightly spicy, carnation-dominated, and powdery floral. I especially like the soft sandalwood base and the somewhat offbeat moment during the drydown, where it smells more jarringly bright than soft and soothing. A classic in all senses of the word, and one I will wear every time I need to remember how much I have been loved.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I love L'air du Temps. It's an interesting fragrance to me - although it has a pretty complex composition, the resulting scent is holistic, and transcends individual notes to become a complete thing in itself, a thing that resists being broken down into descriptions of componant parts. Sounds strange, but that's what I think. So I can't think of individual notes with this one - when I smell it I think of the overall effect: airy, golden, elegant, shimmery, romantic. It deserves its classic status. L'air du Temps has a soft innocence to it too, it's romantic rather than sexy - some modern perfumes are sort of the smell equivalent of leaping on someone and tearing their underwear off, but L'air du temps is more like the moment that you spend looking into someones eyes before you kiss them for the first time. And the dove bottle is perhaps one of the most beautiful ever, literally a work of art. So why haven't I given it full marks? Because I fear it's a bit too restrained for me, lol... I'm a red lipstick, black eyeliner kind of girl, and dammit, I LIKE tearing underwear off!

on 8/21/2005 6:30:00 PM

A classic! I love the balance of green, spicy, and floral notes, and even when the fragrance fades it still smells heavenly. In some ways, this reminds of me of Wind Song, as another reviewer remarked, but I think it is much more refined, subtle, and elegant than Wind Song.

on 4/16/2005 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This always makes me think of innocent summer days, Liberty print skirts, floaty blouses and flowers - lots and lots of flowers. I believe I read somewhere that it was Princess Diana's favourite fragrance, and I can see that it would totally chime with her personality when she was young and shy, an innocent fairy-tale princess. Yet it's such a classy fragrance, it can be worn by mature women too, and still give a wonderful and appropriate aura. It's one I keep coming back to, after experimenting with less gentle fragrances. A keeper!

on 1/14/2004 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My all time very favorite fragrance of 35 years. It is so light and fresh smelling. For me a spring / summer scent.