Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.7

My grandmother always wore L'air du Temps, and when we were kids, my sisters and I were on a waiting list to get the emptied bottles :) Doing a little research on eBay, I realized, based on the bottles I remembered, that she used both the parfum and the toilette. I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately, and wanted to buy a bottle for myself, but many of the internet reviews I've read discouraged me and made me think the classic smell had been changed. A few reviews said that the toilette smelled the same as the vintage scent, but that the parfum was completely different. I went out today (Dillards and Macy's both carry it, btw) and tested them both, and right away the parfum brought back my grandmother's signature scent. The toilette, however, was very light, not entirely recognizable, and did not last on my skin more than ten minutes or so. Now, I was an 80's kid, so the scent I remember was vintage early 80's and not any older. But the parfum I bought today still smells exactly like I remember from childhood. The parfum was slightly more expensive at $70 than the toilette at $62. Completely worth the extra few bucks for a scent that lasts so well. Hopefully this review will encourage ladies with a wave of nostalgia to not dismiss L'Air du Temps without at least going and testing it for yourself. I am very happy with my purchase, and wow, this scent brings back so many happy memories!

on 2/1/2013 10:40:00 PM

Get the edp if you can as the staying power is brilliant. What can I say, a classic, clovey carnation. Beautiful, feminine, unmistakable - wonderful, just wonderful

on 8/25/2011 6:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

on 12/31/2010 11:09:00 AM

I really love L'Air du Temps. It's an elegant scent with a hint of something different to it - I wouldn't describe it simply as floral.

As other reviewers have commmented, it has not been especially well-served by reformulation. Although I still wear and enjoy L'Air du Temps, it has lost some complexity and edge through the years.

A softer version of what it once was, but still classy.

on 3/9/2010 11:51:00 PM

L'Air du Temps has not done as well in reformulation. One of my upcoming projects is to revisit what's out in drugstores and department stores in this and reassess. But my memory of the newer bottles was hairspray on a little dulled spicy carnation, not in any way memorable or pleasant. EDIT: I've now smelled the new version and I'm wrong. I'm not sure what I smelled that I thought was L'Air du Temps but the reformulation isn't a horrific hairspray mess. It's lighter, many of the middle rich floral notes are missing and the base leather/spice touch is softer. But it's still quite pretty -- perhaps for summer? The vintage is, however, definately superior.

I was sent a sample of vintage PDT by a friend. I've since acquired a perfect vintage parfum and slightly turned but still gorgeous edt. The vintage versions are beautiful. They have a warm, slightly leathery base. Over it there's the eugenol used as a stand-in for spicy carnation, and there's also bergamot, jasmine, and neroli. I'm pretty sure there are some aldehydes on top. The overall impression is a light powder over spicy rich warmth being kept in a nice leather purse. It's beautiful, utterly beautiful. As L'air du Temps dries down, wierdly, the aromatic jasmine and bergamot move more to the front and some of the leather/spice drops. It becomes a delicate aromatic floral -- jasmine, orange blossom, with a slight touch of spice.

This is one of the classic orange-blossom-spicy fragrances, in the same family as Tabac Blonde, Bellodgia, L'Origin, Bill Blass (original), White Shoulders. Of all of them, I'd put it closest to White Shoulders, with maybe a little dollop of Tabac Blonde layered underneath, or on top. The vintage is easily available - because of the beautiful packaging this was everyone's dresser perfume. I can understand why people have multiple bottles and back up bottles.

Over the past fifteen or twenty years, I have periodically tested L'Air du Temps on my wrist whenever I would see a bottle at the department store. I guess I've never had the privilege of testing the magnificent original that everyone raves about, because the reformulated version just doesn't thrill me, no matter how many times I sample it. It's just a pretty soap-like fragrance that's too nondescript on my skin to be worth wearing.

I'm honestly surprised at the reviewers who say the reformulation is too strong or headache-inducing, because whenever I spray this on, I have a hard time believing I'm wearing any fragrance at all. The olfactory impression on my skin is just soap, soap, soap. If this perfume made a statement on me, that statement would be nothing more profound than "I have recently bathed." This is not to say that I dislike all faint perfumes or soapy perfumes, it's just that this particular perfume doesn't work with my chemistry to create an interesting result.

on 12/16/2009 6:36:00 AM

i loved this fragrance when i first smelled it eons ago. i bought a bottle and never wear it. i love the spicy carnation note and lasting power but always reach for something else. i just might wear this yet today now that i am thinking about it.

on 11/18/2009 6:04:00 PM

I've heard a lot of people describe this as an "old lady" perfume, well I'm not one of them. I actually used to wear this about 10 years ago and remember it as a very clean floral smell that always reeled in the compliments and inquiries wherever I went. Not sure if it still smells the same as back then, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another go in the future.

on 9/10/2009 7:07:00 PM

Every Christmas, from the time I was 25 until she passed in 2001, my mother gave me this fragrance. And every Christmas since then, I still find it in my stocking (my husand and sons know it's my Christmas expectation). Sometimes it's lotion, sometime eau de parfum - it's always welcome, and it always lasts me till the next Christmas comes around. It's my favorite fragrance in the world becuase, on me, it smells DIVINE. In this fragrance, I feel like I'm walking in the Garden of Eden.
My mom's signature fragrance was Chanel No. 5, which was perfect for her. She picked this one for me, and she picked well. I never feel completely dressed (when I'm really dressing up) without L'Air du Temps.

on 6/14/2009 1:21:00 PM

I used to wear this years ago (like 30 or more years!) and liked it at the time so I thought I would try it again when I saw some miniatures on a website. The bottle looks really dinky as they have tried to make it an exact replica of the full size bottle, with the dove stopper as well. However this counts against it when you actually want to use it. The stopper is in fact almost as big as the miniature bottle and doesn't go in very well. Being a bit heavy handed, I forced it and half of the stopper broke off so I can now only keep the bottle upright. I doubt that this is a problem with the full size bottle.

As for the perfume itself, I was sadly disappointed. I think 30 years ago we didn't have such a good selection of fragrances on the market and were grateful for anything we could get! In fact, I think fragrances all tended to have a very similar smell. I now look on these as old fashioned and I wouldn't wear this again.

The only plus I suppose it that it is a good laster - a little applied in the morning lasts until well into the afternoon.

Popular Fragrances