Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.6

on 12/15/2017 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Where did the scent go?!
I am something of a lazy classic perfume lover: I'm far from a connoisseur who seeks out vintage bottles, and I'm more than happy to use modern reformulations. They may have lost their former glory (I don't even want to find out and be disappointed), but the style, whether it's a "pure perfume" aldehyde or a bold oriental floral, is close to my heart.

On paper, it sounded like everything I like in a scent - soft flowers with a kick of spiciness, musky and woody base. In reality, L'air turned out to be a perfumed soap that's been left in a drawer for decades - a faint spicy clove or carnation appears and disappears, then a more powdery/soapy note, like after using an old-fashioned bar soap and talcum, and then...absolutely nothing. No fluffy red carnations or roses, no post-war fireworks, no smoky and spicy base notes characteristic of older scents. At least when I try a perfume for the first time, before I get too used to it, I can smell it on me the entire day - not with this. No reaction from others either, not even "What's that smell? Maybe you should see a skin doctor." (I'm pretty sure Hannibal Lecter won't be able to tell that I "sometimes wear L'air du temps" with the current formulation!)
I see this perfume often on the drugstore shelves between L'eau de Playboy and L'eau de Justin Bieber and, sadly, this feels like an appropriate place - looks like this sometime-legendary perfume is following the dying path of Evyan's White Shoulders rather than Shalimar. Mind you, I'm not talking about the price point - there are some excellent drugstore-grade scents - it just feels like Nina Ricci gave up on this one.

on 12/1/2017 5:17:00 PM

This is how I remember my grade school teachers and aunts smelling about 50 years ago. No, not horrible, just a vague spicy/floral combination. Grown women didn't wear scents that screamed sex back in those days, well, certainly not to work or family functions. Perfume is highly subjective, very much an art, and each generation typically eschews the artistic tastes of the last.

This doesn't offend me, but it also doesn't do anything for me. It is strange that ads for this used to appear in Seventeen magazine, back in the 70's. I can't imagine a teenager contemplating a scent remotely like this now.

Probably due to the marketing, I received a Christmas gift of this as a teenager from a slightly older admirer around 1976. The relationship never went anywhere, I didn't wear the perfume, and here I am reviewing it 40 years later. I didn't understand it as a serious romantic gift at the time. I do now, but this still seems like a generic scent worn post WWII

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I am still looking for a staple fragrance for spring/summer, this may be it. It can be too heavy, but I am pleased that is last- a very long time.
Like all fragrances using the lotion helps, and very little of the actual cologne is necessary.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I just bought it because of Nina Ricci's name..great packaging and wikipeidia has a page about this iconic perfume...Its bad please dont buy it its too sweet smells like a jasmine based hair oil ..I detest...I live in India.. and here villagers use this hair oil in abundance and where ever they go they carry this yukkie smell..Eeewww.I bought it and the moment I put this on it transported me in to bus or a train full of people reeking with the overuse of jasmine hair oil.....I have a problem with jasmine or say so much of jasmine.. and sandal wood...we have it all around us in temples...roses also...This is not I would like to put on my body...I gifted it away to my sister ..who also seems to not like it..Last time I asked her about the perfume she said that she has put it in her cubboard... post that she was quiet...I'm sorry Sis... :(< I will get you something nice but not from Nina ricci...

on 11/24/2009 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using this dreamy floral for years. I switch to different perfumes but always come back.
I recently emptied a bottle and bought a new bottle of L'Air du Temps.
It smells like something is missing. There was the faint carnation, but all that I remember is gone.
It is not a bad perfume at all. I would rate it okay and inoffensive, but not great anymore.

on 4/26/2009 9:14:00 AM

On me, this fragrance just smells like some sort of strong, pungent soap that also emitts a faint carnation scent....

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Great for grandma, not for me.

Chemically, WAY too floral in a very unpleasant, musty way.

Love the bottle though?

EDIT:
I have to edit this. I was antique shopping today and found an old LdT bottle, I opened it up to smell it and was not at all jarring or chemically. I actually...liked it. But seeing as how that formulation is long gone...

A beautiful slightly spicy carnation scent with a tinge of soap and soft musk. Sweet, clean, elegant, innocent. Perfect for the office, it won't overpower your co-workers. If you love carnation, you can't go wrong with this classic.

Excellent smell and defenetely worth the price. Never ending in my home :)

on 1/27/2008 6:40:00 PM

Some of my fondest memories are tied into L'Air Du Temps... my mother wore it and she was the epitome of feminine elegance. When she wore it, it would waft from her skin and form a fragrant halo around her.

I won't bother breaking it down by note, but this is a timeless fragrance and is as relevant today as when it first launched. It's considered one of the Top 5, and for very good reason.

Feminine, elegant, classic.