Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.6

on 1/2/2015 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Love! L'air d temps is wonderful. Beautifully balanced,soft and spicy and subtle but lasts all day. I know this has a long history so people seem to associate it with older relatives but I really don't think of this as an older woman's perfume I think its classy and wearable for anyone.
I took one star off for the packaging just because I think the white travel ones are hideous and the new bottles with the clear doves aren't as nice as the old, frosted ones - really, why change a classic?
Also its cheap - really, really cheap when you think what a fantastic perfume it is and the history its got. You can find it for about the same price as a celeb perfume. I got a 50ml edt of L'air for 15.
Apparently this has been reformulated but the new one smells the same to me so they are still pretty much the same.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

While I was growing up, my mother rotated mainly between three fragrances~ Wind Song, L'Air Du Temps and Joy. There were other fragrances she wore on occasion, but these three were her top picks.

I associate L'Air du Temps with a woman going out for a night on the town with her husband. This is usually when my mother wore this fragrance.

When first spritzed, it is a bit cloying, but softens as it works its way from top notes to dry down. This is best used with a light hand, or spritzed into the air, then walk through the fragrance as it disperses and wafts to the floor.

Top notes to my nose~mixture of a woodsy, floral scent (woody floral could be the violet?) and musk. Middle notes~softer version of top notes with spices making an appearance. Dry down~floriental musk, and smell a touch of wood, amber and spice. The spice in this floriental is not headache and nausea inducing.

Bottle is lovely. It's a clear, spiral glass with two Doves intertwined atop the cap. It looks elegant sitting on a mirrored vanity tray.

Rating this with four lippies because of memories associated with this fragrance.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This was one of my grandmother's favourite fragrances, so I will always have a bottle in my collection for this reason alone. I also like the history and inspiration behind it, and the fact that it has been worn loyally by so many women since its inception.

I understand that this fragrance lost something of its essence due to modern reformulation requirements, and I currently only have a modern EDT version to hand. Its current incarnation smells like powdery citrus to me, quite sheer, perfectly pleasant, great for warm weather and pretty much any occasion. I can't see this offending anyone's fragrance sensibilities and I also do not think that this smells like something reserved for the mature set.

The reason I haven't awarded full points is that this fragrance only has very average lasting power on my skin and seems to go pretty much unnoticed by everyone. Once my bottle is finished I will seek out the parfum version in the hopes of a bit more oomph.

This classic is definitely worth a try, and probably a real winner for citrus and powder lovers who do not want an overwhelming scent, but simply a low-key, affable one.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ancient, sweet and creamy.

Definitely not for me.

on 1/28/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar
I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.

that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
has been my experince with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

This is a classic elegant floral scent which has been one of my favorites
for the past 36 + years, ever since I was first gifted with a bottle of this as a teenager. It is, in fact, my second favorite scent, right behind Chanel No. 5. Because this scent is lighter than No. 5, I find it more appropriate for work and daytime wear.
This scent is elegant and long lasting, without being over powering. The beautiful bottle is simple elegance in and of itself. I've tried many other perfumes over the years but keep coming back to LAdT over and over again.
This is a lovely light yet long lasting floral scent appropriate to casual or formal wear. It goes well from day to evening use. There is nothing dated about LAdT. I find it as fresh and lively as D & Gs Light Blue but L'Air du Temps has more lasting power.
I highly recommend L'air du Temps to any lover of fine floral scents.

on 1/18/2010 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

One day we played a game in the Fragrance Board and we all had to upload a pictures of ourseleves and the others had to put a fragance for you....

I was thrilled I was associated with the gorgeous scent...Needles to say I went and bought it...Much to my dismay still soo cheap to buy (good for me) but this costs a lot more , I would have payed twice as much :D

This is the *prettiest* Fragrance I have ever used. With all the meaning of the word *Pretty*....I used it as a teenager because I loved the bottle and the scent....I forgot how gorgeous it is. Maybe is a the best bottle in my Dressing Table.

To have this is a Priviledge to wear it is a pleasure that I do not get from many at all....I feel myself like I do with no others

on 10/15/2009 10:24:00 AM

Many years ago this was my first 'real' perfume and how I loved it - a beautiful satiny floral, rich but cool. When I wore it I felt as if I was walking with my lover through an enchanted garden whilst wearing a satin ballgown. I moved on - Jicky, Coco, Osmanthe Yunnan - but every time I passed L'AdT on the fragrance counter I thought 'First love; should try it again'.

A few weeks ago I did, and although lover, flowers & ballgown were still there, it felt that he wasn't talking to me, the flowers were drooping & the ballgown was nylon. I was heartbroken & felt maybe it was me. Then a friend showed me the reference in The Guide and I understood what had happened.

A warning to us all: when you love a perfume buy plenty before those dear people at HQ rip the guts out of it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Floral perfume...Powdery,carnations,rose...nice for all occasions...

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Again with the 'old lady' comments... I can't wait 'til the day I read reviews like "ugh, smells like cupcakes and reminds me of nursing homes". Don't worry, it won't be too long. Can't people just say that they simply don't like something without all the drama? I digress. .

This fragrance was created in 1948 at the behest of Nina Ricci's son Robert by Francis Fabron. This bright and fresh fragrance was specifically conceived for YOUNG women to be a contrast to the heavy and heady fragrances of that era. The name of this exquisitely feminine and young-at-heart fragrance is just as romantic as fragrance itself. L'air du temps is a French figurative expression that means 'the feeling, mood, and spirit of the time', and the phrase also is a play on words because l'air 'literally' means air, and it all ties in to fragrance.... I first wore this beauty when I turned 18. My beautiful neighbor was a young woman in 1948 and when she gave me a bottle, she had been already wearing L'Air du Temps for 40 years! It's a bright, uplifting floral that smells 'real'. It never turns into sour 'department store fragrance exhaust fumes' no matter how many hours pass since I first spritzed it on. Whenever I wear it I feel young, feminine, graceful, and just plain happy to be alive. I think it is because it has a melancholic quality, just like me. When I wear this fragrance, I want to wear soft fabrics, put my hair up and put on some lipstick. I even carry myself differently -more like a lady, when I wear it.

Popular Fragrances