Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 19-24
Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.0

I think perfume is one of the most subject things, but really, I just don't understand this one's popularity.

I suspect that this fragrance has succeeded based on its reputation for being a ''classic''. Women will buy it, because they figure it's such a classic you can't go wrong with it - it's safe, like buying Chanel no 5. If this was released on the market today, I'm pretty sure it would fail.

There's no complexity or interest to the scent. It smells like a nursing mother wearing a lot of deodorant. It's so floral, it's slightly nauseating. Imagine a mix of milk, baby powder, and acid. It's light and smooth enough to be a 'young' scent, but in reality I've smelled it on a lot of 40 year-old Mums, so perhaps that's where my prejudice comes from.

This perfume manages to be a total paradox. It's boring whilst being aggressive, should be young but smells old, essentially, it's synthetic baby milk. And pretty bloody over-powering baby milk, by the way. I sprayed l'air du temps on the back of my hand, and Chanel no 19 on my wrist...the Chanel was completely eradicated by l'air du temps - it vanished.

If you want the smoothness and prettiness of this scent without the nausea, try Dahlia Noir.

on 8/25/2011 6:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OK, ok, won't call this "old lady" because that's just too obvious, and apparently some people don't like it being called that. It certainly is mature though. I gave it two lippies for fantastic staying power. Such staying power, in fact, that when I tried it on at the airport I could not wash it off and I was stuck on a small plane with a mature floral bubble surrounding me.

It was not for me.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is just a very polarizing scent, and from what I've read most people just like it b/c it reminds me of their mom or grandmother or some memory from a few decades ago. Makes me sad to write this, but I think I like this less and less. I'm definitely a floral, even powdery floral girl, but if I were to wear this now, it would make me feel too old. I wore this in the middle of college when I spent my first summer in New York City, and I think I just liked it b/c it made me feel rich and expensive b/c I smelled like a rich and expensive old lady. This is a very sweet, powdery, strong scent..I'm undecided, so giving it 3 lippies -- it's an effective floral, but just has too much potential to smell bad. To me it is not delicate, airy, or fresh at all. You either love it or hate it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

L'Air de Temps has been my mother's one and only perfume for as long as I can remember. The elegant bottle with the doves has been in her bathroom cabinet for years, with occasional replacement of course. When I hit junior high I would try to wear L'Air de Temps but it just doesn't work with my body chemistry -- I believe my mom's exact words were that I smelled sort-of like an ashtray LOL. But on her it is very light and pretty, and very feminine. I gave the scent a "4" since I definitely cannot wear it but it smells lovely on my mother. I don't mean to imply it is an old-lady scent because it isn't -- mom is just turning 50 this year. I wouldn't purchase this for myself but I will definitely get more for mom when her current bottle runs low.

on 1/17/2003 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I like this perfume... it smells so light and delicate. My mother used to wear this when I was a little girl, so it brings back some memories... along with so many other perfumes. Unfortunately, I find it gives me a headache sometimes, so I don't wear it anymore. I love the bottle with the doves, it's one of the most beautiful perfume bottles I've seen. I must say, however that eventhough I like the perfume, I prefer the smell of the body lotion, and it doesn't give me a headache. Nonetheless, I consider this perfume to be a classic, probably one reason why it's called "the most romantic fragrance in the world".