Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.7

on 12/15/2017 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Where did the scent go?!
I am something of a lazy classic perfume lover: I'm far from a connoisseur who seeks out vintage bottles, and I'm more than happy to use modern reformulations. They may have lost their former glory (I don't even want to find out and be disappointed), but the style, whether it's a "pure perfume" aldehyde or a bold oriental floral, is close to my heart.

On paper, it sounded like everything I like in a scent - soft flowers with a kick of spiciness, musky and woody base. In reality, L'air turned out to be a perfumed soap that's been left in a drawer for decades - a faint spicy clove or carnation appears and disappears, then a more powdery/soapy note, like after using an old-fashioned bar soap and talcum, and then...absolutely nothing. No fluffy red carnations or roses, no post-war fireworks, no smoky and spicy base notes characteristic of older scents. At least when I try a perfume for the first time, before I get too used to it, I can smell it on me the entire day - not with this. No reaction from others either, not even "What's that smell? Maybe you should see a skin doctor." (I'm pretty sure Hannibal Lecter won't be able to tell that I "sometimes wear L'air du temps" with the current formulation!)
I see this perfume often on the drugstore shelves between L'eau de Playboy and L'eau de Justin Bieber and, sadly, this feels like an appropriate place - looks like this sometime-legendary perfume is following the dying path of Evyan's White Shoulders rather than Shalimar. Mind you, I'm not talking about the price point - there are some excellent drugstore-grade scents - it just feels like Nina Ricci gave up on this one.

on 12/1/2017 5:17:00 PM

This is how I remember my grade school teachers and aunts smelling about 50 years ago. No, not horrible, just a vague spicy/floral combination. Grown women didn't wear scents that screamed sex back in those days, well, certainly not to work or family functions. Perfume is highly subjective, very much an art, and each generation typically eschews the artistic tastes of the last.

This doesn't offend me, but it also doesn't do anything for me. It is strange that ads for this used to appear in Seventeen magazine, back in the 70's. I can't imagine a teenager contemplating a scent remotely like this now.

Probably due to the marketing, I received a Christmas gift of this as a teenager from a slightly older admirer around 1976. The relationship never went anywhere, I didn't wear the perfume, and here I am reviewing it 40 years later. I didn't understand it as a serious romantic gift at the time. I do now, but this still seems like a generic scent worn post WWII

on 1/2/2015 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Love! L'air d temps is wonderful. Beautifully balanced,soft and spicy and subtle but lasts all day. I know this has a long history so people seem to associate it with older relatives but I really don't think of this as an older woman's perfume I think its classy and wearable for anyone.
I took one star off for the packaging just because I think the white travel ones are hideous and the new bottles with the clear doves aren't as nice as the old, frosted ones - really, why change a classic?
Also its cheap - really, really cheap when you think what a fantastic perfume it is and the history its got. You can find it for about the same price as a celeb perfume. I got a 50ml edt of L'air for 15.
Apparently this has been reformulated but the new one smells the same to me so they are still pretty much the same.

My grandmother always wore L'air du Temps, and when we were kids, my sisters and I were on a waiting list to get the emptied bottles :) Doing a little research on eBay, I realized, based on the bottles I remembered, that she used both the parfum and the toilette. I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately, and wanted to buy a bottle for myself, but many of the internet reviews I've read discouraged me and made me think the classic smell had been changed. A few reviews said that the toilette smelled the same as the vintage scent, but that the parfum was completely different. I went out today (Dillards and Macy's both carry it, btw) and tested them both, and right away the parfum brought back my grandmother's signature scent. The toilette, however, was very light, not entirely recognizable, and did not last on my skin more than ten minutes or so. Now, I was an 80's kid, so the scent I remember was vintage early 80's and not any older. But the parfum I bought today still smells exactly like I remember from childhood. The parfum was slightly more expensive at $70 than the toilette at $62. Completely worth the extra few bucks for a scent that lasts so well. Hopefully this review will encourage ladies with a wave of nostalgia to not dismiss L'Air du Temps without at least going and testing it for yourself. I am very happy with my purchase, and wow, this scent brings back so many happy memories!

on 4/30/2013 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Sadly, very few so-called timeless classics ever work on me - I seem to be cursed (or blessed?) with the kind of skin, that works mostly with zeitgeist and the perfumes of "now and possibly tomorrow". Particularly badly my chemistry interacts with powdery scents. My skin kills completely the following perfumes, so much loved by many: Anais Anais, Fidji, Rive Gauche ( it takes some time, but there's always very little left of what it's supposed to be ) and L'air du temps is, sadly, no exception. At first there's powder, something yellow and a little green, and 5 minutes later - NOTHING. Just powder , if I shamelessly drench the whole arm with the tester at a drugstore in a fruitless attempt to experience the glorified beauty of this classic. Who knows - it is only the hype? Or is it my chemistry? Is it the new reformulation that is to blame? The end result is - I can simply spray air on my wrist, the effect will be exactly the same. If I come across a vintage bottle - will give it a go and get back with an update.

on 2/1/2013 10:40:00 PM

Get the edp if you can as the staying power is brilliant. What can I say, a classic, clovey carnation. Beautiful, feminine, unmistakable - wonderful, just wonderful

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This was one of my grandmother's favourite fragrances, so I will always have a bottle in my collection for this reason alone. I also like the history and inspiration behind it, and the fact that it has been worn loyally by so many women since its inception.

I understand that this fragrance lost something of its essence due to modern reformulation requirements, and I currently only have a modern EDT version to hand. Its current incarnation smells like powdery citrus to me, quite sheer, perfectly pleasant, great for warm weather and pretty much any occasion. I can't see this offending anyone's fragrance sensibilities and I also do not think that this smells like something reserved for the mature set.

The reason I haven't awarded full points is that this fragrance only has very average lasting power on my skin and seems to go pretty much unnoticed by everyone. Once my bottle is finished I will seek out the parfum version in the hopes of a bit more oomph.

This classic is definitely worth a try, and probably a real winner for citrus and powder lovers who do not want an overwhelming scent, but simply a low-key, affable one.

on 1/28/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar
I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.

that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
has been my experince with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

I think perfume is one of the most subject things, but really, I just don't understand this one's popularity.

I suspect that this fragrance has succeeded based on its reputation for being a ''classic''. Women will buy it, because they figure it's such a classic you can't go wrong with it - it's safe, like buying Chanel no 5. If this was released on the market today, I'm pretty sure it would fail.

There's no complexity or interest to the scent. It smells like a nursing mother wearing a lot of deodorant. It's so floral, it's slightly nauseating. Imagine a mix of milk, baby powder, and acid. It's light and smooth enough to be a 'young' scent, but in reality I've smelled it on a lot of 40 year-old Mums, so perhaps that's where my prejudice comes from.

This perfume manages to be a total paradox. It's boring whilst being aggressive, should be young but smells old, essentially, it's synthetic baby milk. And pretty bloody over-powering baby milk, by the way. I sprayed l'air du temps on the back of my hand, and Chanel no 19 on my wrist...the Chanel was completely eradicated by l'air du temps - it vanished.

If you want the smoothness and prettiness of this scent without the nausea, try Dahlia Noir.

on 8/25/2011 6:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

Popular Fragrances