Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.6

on 1/2/2015 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Love! L'air d temps is wonderful. Beautifully balanced,soft and spicy and subtle but lasts all day. I know this has a long history so people seem to associate it with older relatives but I really don't think of this as an older woman's perfume I think its classy and wearable for anyone.
I took one star off for the packaging just because I think the white travel ones are hideous and the new bottles with the clear doves aren't as nice as the old, frosted ones - really, why change a classic?
Also its cheap - really, really cheap when you think what a fantastic perfume it is and the history its got. You can find it for about the same price as a celeb perfume. I got a 50ml edt of L'air for 15.
Apparently this has been reformulated but the new one smells the same to me so they are still pretty much the same.

My grandmother always wore L'air du Temps, and when we were kids, my sisters and I were on a waiting list to get the emptied bottles :) Doing a little research on eBay, I realized, based on the bottles I remembered, that she used both the parfum and the toilette. I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately, and wanted to buy a bottle for myself, but many of the internet reviews I've read discouraged me and made me think the classic smell had been changed. A few reviews said that the toilette smelled the same as the vintage scent, but that the parfum was completely different. I went out today (Dillards and Macy's both carry it, btw) and tested them both, and right away the parfum brought back my grandmother's signature scent. The toilette, however, was very light, not entirely recognizable, and did not last on my skin more than ten minutes or so. Now, I was an 80's kid, so the scent I remember was vintage early 80's and not any older. But the parfum I bought today still smells exactly like I remember from childhood. The parfum was slightly more expensive at $70 than the toilette at $62. Completely worth the extra few bucks for a scent that lasts so well. Hopefully this review will encourage ladies with a wave of nostalgia to not dismiss L'Air du Temps without at least going and testing it for yourself. I am very happy with my purchase, and wow, this scent brings back so many happy memories!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

L'Air du Temps
I always return to this one. A lovely fresh, light oriental/floral fragrance. A true classic that is still relevant in today's world.

on 2/1/2013 10:40:00 PM

Get the edp if you can as the staying power is brilliant. What can I say, a classic, clovey carnation. Beautiful, feminine, unmistakable - wonderful, just wonderful

on 1/28/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar
I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.

that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
has been my experince with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

on 8/25/2011 6:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

on 12/31/2010 11:09:00 AM

I really love L'Air du Temps. It's an elegant scent with a hint of something different to it - I wouldn't describe it simply as floral.

As other reviewers have commmented, it has not been especially well-served by reformulation. Although I still wear and enjoy L'Air du Temps, it has lost some complexity and edge through the years.

A softer version of what it once was, but still classy.

on 7/2/2010 8:43:00 AM

I have worn L'Air du Temps my entire life and therefore it reminds me (surprise surprise) of my entire life. It now seems that the Universe as well as the current owners of Nina Ricci have conspired to tell me it's time to move on. The incredible loveliness of this fragrance, discovered in my late teens, must be held accountable for my budding and enduring interest in perfumes as a very significant, highly expressive art form; the only fragrance I have ever worn exclusively for any length of time, in what seemed to be a state of uninterrupted bliss, never thinking I would ever need or want anything else.
Alas, the exquisite, unmatched beauty of this gardenia, carnation, neroli, white roses bouquet, is barely even recognizeable in the reformulated version. I still treasure the last remaining drops of my closely-guarded old bottle, and try to accept the fact that life is a journey that takes us through many changing, sometimes very different landscapes. I have kept an open mind and a clear unprejudiced readiness for new experience, and yet it breaks my heart a little, leaving this sweet, pure, lovingly drawn tableau of days gone by, so far behind.

on 3/9/2010 11:51:00 PM

L'Air du Temps has not done as well in reformulation. One of my upcoming projects is to revisit what's out in drugstores and department stores in this and reassess. But my memory of the newer bottles was hairspray on a little dulled spicy carnation, not in any way memorable or pleasant. EDIT: I've now smelled the new version and I'm wrong. I'm not sure what I smelled that I thought was L'Air du Temps but the reformulation isn't a horrific hairspray mess. It's lighter, many of the middle rich floral notes are missing and the base leather/spice touch is softer. But it's still quite pretty -- perhaps for summer? The vintage is, however, definately superior.

I was sent a sample of vintage PDT by a friend. I've since acquired a perfect vintage parfum and slightly turned but still gorgeous edt. The vintage versions are beautiful. They have a warm, slightly leathery base. Over it there's the eugenol used as a stand-in for spicy carnation, and there's also bergamot, jasmine, and neroli. I'm pretty sure there are some aldehydes on top. The overall impression is a light powder over spicy rich warmth being kept in a nice leather purse. It's beautiful, utterly beautiful. As L'air du Temps dries down, wierdly, the aromatic jasmine and bergamot move more to the front and some of the leather/spice drops. It becomes a delicate aromatic floral -- jasmine, orange blossom, with a slight touch of spice.

This is one of the classic orange-blossom-spicy fragrances, in the same family as Tabac Blonde, Bellodgia, L'Origin, Bill Blass (original), White Shoulders. Of all of them, I'd put it closest to White Shoulders, with maybe a little dollop of Tabac Blonde layered underneath, or on top. The vintage is easily available - because of the beautiful packaging this was everyone's dresser perfume. I can understand why people have multiple bottles and back up bottles.

This is a classic elegant floral scent which has been one of my favorites
for the past 36 + years, ever since I was first gifted with a bottle of this as a teenager. It is, in fact, my second favorite scent, right behind Chanel No. 5. Because this scent is lighter than No. 5, I find it more appropriate for work and daytime wear.
This scent is elegant and long lasting, without being over powering. The beautiful bottle is simple elegance in and of itself. I've tried many other perfumes over the years but keep coming back to LAdT over and over again.
This is a lovely light yet long lasting floral scent appropriate to casual or formal wear. It goes well from day to evening use. There is nothing dated about LAdT. I find it as fresh and lively as D & Gs Light Blue but L'Air du Temps has more lasting power.
I highly recommend L'air du Temps to any lover of fine floral scents.