Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

4.3

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

While I was growing up, my mother rotated mainly between three fragrances~ Wind Song, L'Air Du Temps and Joy. There were other fragrances she wore on occasion, but these three were her top picks.

I associate L'Air du Temps with a woman going out for a night on the town with her husband. This is usually when my mother wore this fragrance.

When first spritzed, it is a bit cloying, but softens as it works its way from top notes to dry down. This is best used with a light hand, or spritzed into the air, then walk through the fragrance as it disperses and wafts to the floor.

Top notes to my nose~mixture of a woodsy, floral scent (woody floral could be the violet?) and musk. Middle notes~softer version of top notes with spices making an appearance. Dry down~floriental musk, and smell a touch of wood, amber and spice. The spice in this floriental is not headache and nausea inducing.

Bottle is lovely. It's a clear, spiral glass with two Doves intertwined atop the cap. It looks elegant sitting on a mirrored vanity tray.

Rating this with four lippies because of memories associated with this fragrance.

on 2/1/2013 10:40:00 PM

Get the edp if you can as the staying power is brilliant. What can I say, a classic, clovey carnation. Beautiful, feminine, unmistakable - wonderful, just wonderful

on 1/28/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar
I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.

that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
has been my experince with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

on 3/9/2010 11:51:00 PM

L'Air du Temps has not done as well in reformulation. One of my upcoming projects is to revisit what's out in drugstores and department stores in this and reassess. But my memory of the newer bottles was hairspray on a little dulled spicy carnation, not in any way memorable or pleasant. EDIT: I've now smelled the new version and I'm wrong. I'm not sure what I smelled that I thought was L'Air du Temps but the reformulation isn't a horrific hairspray mess. It's lighter, many of the middle rich floral notes are missing and the base leather/spice touch is softer. But it's still quite pretty -- perhaps for summer? The vintage is, however, definately superior.

I was sent a sample of vintage PDT by a friend. I've since acquired a perfect vintage parfum and slightly turned but still gorgeous edt. The vintage versions are beautiful. They have a warm, slightly leathery base. Over it there's the eugenol used as a stand-in for spicy carnation, and there's also bergamot, jasmine, and neroli. I'm pretty sure there are some aldehydes on top. The overall impression is a light powder over spicy rich warmth being kept in a nice leather purse. It's beautiful, utterly beautiful. As L'air du Temps dries down, wierdly, the aromatic jasmine and bergamot move more to the front and some of the leather/spice drops. It becomes a delicate aromatic floral -- jasmine, orange blossom, with a slight touch of spice.

This is one of the classic orange-blossom-spicy fragrances, in the same family as Tabac Blonde, Bellodgia, L'Origin, Bill Blass (original), White Shoulders. Of all of them, I'd put it closest to White Shoulders, with maybe a little dollop of Tabac Blonde layered underneath, or on top. The vintage is easily available - because of the beautiful packaging this was everyone's dresser perfume. I can understand why people have multiple bottles and back up bottles.

This is a classic elegant floral scent which has been one of my favorites
for the past 36 + years, ever since I was first gifted with a bottle of this as a teenager. It is, in fact, my second favorite scent, right behind Chanel No. 5. Because this scent is lighter than No. 5, I find it more appropriate for work and daytime wear.
This scent is elegant and long lasting, without being over powering. The beautiful bottle is simple elegance in and of itself. I've tried many other perfumes over the years but keep coming back to LAdT over and over again.
This is a lovely light yet long lasting floral scent appropriate to casual or formal wear. It goes well from day to evening use. There is nothing dated about LAdT. I find it as fresh and lively as D & Gs Light Blue but L'Air du Temps has more lasting power.
I highly recommend L'air du Temps to any lover of fine floral scents.

on 1/18/2010 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

One day we played a game in the Fragrance Board and we all had to upload a pictures of ourseleves and the others had to put a fragance for you....

I was thrilled I was associated with the gorgeous scent...Needles to say I went and bought it...Much to my dismay still soo cheap to buy (good for me) but this costs a lot more , I would have payed twice as much :D

This is the *prettiest* Fragrance I have ever used. With all the meaning of the word *Pretty*....I used it as a teenager because I loved the bottle and the scent....I forgot how gorgeous it is. Maybe is a the best bottle in my Dressing Table.

To have this is a Priviledge to wear it is a pleasure that I do not get from many at all....I feel myself like I do with no others

on 12/16/2009 6:36:00 AM

i loved this fragrance when i first smelled it eons ago. i bought a bottle and never wear it. i love the spicy carnation note and lasting power but always reach for something else. i just might wear this yet today now that i am thinking about it.

on 9/10/2009 7:07:00 PM

Every Christmas, from the time I was 25 until she passed in 2001, my mother gave me this fragrance. And every Christmas since then, I still find it in my stocking (my husand and sons know it's my Christmas expectation). Sometimes it's lotion, sometime eau de parfum - it's always welcome, and it always lasts me till the next Christmas comes around. It's my favorite fragrance in the world becuase, on me, it smells DIVINE. In this fragrance, I feel like I'm walking in the Garden of Eden.
My mom's signature fragrance was Chanel No. 5, which was perfect for her. She picked this one for me, and she picked well. I never feel completely dressed (when I'm really dressing up) without L'Air du Temps.

on 7/4/2009 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My absolute favorite in the world scent. Flowery, but not cloying -- very sophisticated and elegant. I'm in my mid 40's now, and I've worn this since high school. I am subject to migraines and this is one of very few fragrances that don't smell chemically to me, and give me a headache. Other favorites of mine are Chantilly and Shalimar.

on 1/19/2009 3:07:00 AM

My first perfume and the fragrance of my teenage years--I kept the beautiful bottle on my dresser for years after the perfume was gone.
Not too strong or sweet--just perfect, evocative of spring.

(Note to prior reviewer: it's a dove on the bottle top, not a falcon!)

Popular Fragrances