Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.5

on 12/15/2017 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Where did the scent go?!
I am something of a lazy classic perfume lover: I'm far from a connoisseur who seeks out vintage bottles, and I'm more than happy to use modern reformulations. They may have lost their former glory (I don't even want to find out and be disappointed), but the style, whether it's a "pure perfume" aldehyde or a bold oriental floral, is close to my heart.

On paper, it sounded like everything I like in a scent - soft flowers with a kick of spiciness, musky and woody base. In reality, L'air turned out to be a perfumed soap that's been left in a drawer for decades - a faint spicy clove or carnation appears and disappears, then a more powdery/soapy note, like after using an old-fashioned bar soap and talcum, and then...absolutely nothing. No fluffy red carnations or roses, no post-war fireworks, no smoky and spicy base notes characteristic of older scents. At least when I try a perfume for the first time, before I get too used to it, I can smell it on me the entire day - not with this. No reaction from others either, not even "What's that smell? Maybe you should see a skin doctor." (I'm pretty sure Hannibal Lecter won't be able to tell that I "sometimes wear L'air du temps" with the current formulation!)
I see this perfume often on the drugstore shelves between L'eau de Playboy and L'eau de Justin Bieber and, sadly, this feels like an appropriate place - looks like this sometime-legendary perfume is following the dying path of Evyan's White Shoulders rather than Shalimar. Mind you, I'm not talking about the price point - there are some excellent drugstore-grade scents - it just feels like Nina Ricci gave up on this one.

on 1/2/2015 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Love! L'air d temps is wonderful. Beautifully balanced,soft and spicy and subtle but lasts all day. I know this has a long history so people seem to associate it with older relatives but I really don't think of this as an older woman's perfume I think its classy and wearable for anyone.
I took one star off for the packaging just because I think the white travel ones are hideous and the new bottles with the clear doves aren't as nice as the old, frosted ones - really, why change a classic?
Also its cheap - really, really cheap when you think what a fantastic perfume it is and the history its got. You can find it for about the same price as a celeb perfume. I got a 50ml edt of L'air for £15.
Apparently this has been reformulated but the new one smells the same to me so they are still pretty much the same.

on 11/9/2014 5:31:00 PM

hey guys, have a 30 ml bottle of it.. Used just twice. If u wanna exchange it, lemme know.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ancient, sweet and creamy.

Definitely not for me.

on 12/31/2010 11:09:00 AM

I really love L'Air du Temps. It's an elegant scent with a hint of something different to it - I wouldn't describe it simply as floral.

As other reviewers have commmented, it has not been especially well-served by reformulation. Although I still wear and enjoy L'Air du Temps, it has lost some complexity and edge through the years.

A softer version of what it once was, but still classy.

on 7/2/2008 12:23:00 PM

This is the ONLY parfume I use. My beloved Grandmother wore this from the day it came out to the day she passed away. I am carrying on her love for this parfume.

It has a lovely scent, the glamour of old Hollywood. I could see Rita Hayworth or Marilyn Monroe wearing this.

I'm only worried because my local Kmart has carried this for years, but yesterday it was all gone. They always keep a large supply of this, so it's pretty unlikely it's sold out. I hope Longs still has it.

on 1/29/2008 10:04:00 AM

WOW this is strong. Super-perfumish kind of a chemical smell. Very, very rarely do perfumes give me a headache but this is one of them...but my Grandmother wears this rarely (usually white shoulders)and on her, it is O.K. but I still get a headache if too close. I'm surprised to see so many people like this...I prefer heady fragrances but this is too much for me! Glad to see some enjoying it....

Excellent smell and defenetely worth the price. Never ending in my home :)

L'Air Du Temps: 1.6oz
The Place: Walgreens
The Price: 50% off for $18.00
The Sensory Experience: Priceless

Two frosted love birds in a rapturous embrace kiss the glass bottle. This classic fragrance by Nina Ricci has a spicy and soapy quality that settles into a soft and mellow smoothness. My grandmother's signaure and my favorite. Perfect for job interviews and just being.

on 10/19/2007 1:23:00 PM

L’Air du Temps reflects true romance and dream, the “Mood of the Time” after World War II when people longed for peace, liberty and free spirit after long strife. This scent reminds me of sweet memory when I was a child living with my grandmother and my aunt who adored this scent. It makes me feel “at home”, with warmth and protection as if these two ladies were still with me. Of course this is “old school” but in a very nice way. It’s like a song in your heart, poetic, dreamy and enchanting, something I imagine a very refined and ethereal lady in flowing chiffon would wear. I smell the fresh, green opening and the floral heart. The character of flower is soft, sweet and alluring, with the combination of sumptuous white bouquet and soft rose. The drydown is earthy and spicy, a little bit soapy but still very nice. Too bad I can’t spray this directly on my skin, cause it will turns to this rotten flower smell. I have to spray it on my clothes instead…such a bad chemistry. After all, this is truly a gem. Don’t care about someone calling this “old lady”, as I’m in my 20s and dislike strong and cloying aldehyde-powdery note of fragrances in the same era, but this is different and truly worth a try for everyone who appreciates the art of perfumery.

Popular Fragrances