Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Filtered by age: 19-24
Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.1

I think perfume is one of the most subject things, but really, I just don't understand this one's popularity.

I suspect that this fragrance has succeeded based on its reputation for being a ''classic''. Women will buy it, because they figure it's such a classic you can't go wrong with it - it's safe, like buying Chanel no 5. If this was released on the market today, I'm pretty sure it would fail.

There's no complexity or interest to the scent. It smells like a nursing mother wearing a lot of deodorant. It's so floral, it's slightly nauseating. Imagine a mix of milk, baby powder, and acid. It's light and smooth enough to be a 'young' scent, but in reality I've smelled it on a lot of 40 year-old Mums, so perhaps that's where my prejudice comes from.

This perfume manages to be a total paradox. It's boring whilst being aggressive, should be young but smells old, essentially, it's synthetic baby milk. And pretty bloody over-powering baby milk, by the way. I sprayed l'air du temps on the back of my hand, and Chanel no 19 on my wrist...the Chanel was completely eradicated by l'air du temps - it vanished.

If you want the smoothness and prettiness of this scent without the nausea, try Dahlia Noir.

on 8/25/2011 6:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This scent smells kind of like baby powder to me. It's simple; too simple to be sexy or interesting or alluring. It smells sterile, there's nothing sexy about it. It smells like you've dusted yourself with baby powder. It smells like your mother.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I havent tried the actual perfume, but I have tried the soap, and I only have good thing to say about it. the packaging is just lovely. It is a big circular soap, and it comes in a cute little plastic container. At first I placed it with the lid off in my linen closet...and even though it was just a soap, the scent was strong enough to lightly scent my sheets and towels! Then i used it as an actual soap. the fragrance it leaves is so subtle and feminine, I cant stop sniffing my skin! I get sick of fragrances very quickly, but this one is so light and fresh that I cant imagine I would get tired of it.
I want to try the perfume, but Im afraid that it will be a little "old" for me. For now Im perfectly happy with the soap.

on 4/26/2009 9:29:00 AM

I would wear this perfume if i were in my late 30's-40's.
To me it smells luxurious and sophisticated, not really old ladyish, but by no means girly or infantile.
It's a lovely powdery smell with a prominence or carnation. Pleasing for my nose, however it's indeed not for the youngest audience. It's quite heavy and very long-lasting.

on 12/15/2008 1:38:00 AM

This fragrance smells like tissue with a slight hint of carnation and powder without the typical vanilla scent to the powder. But mostly it smells like tissue. This is to my untrained nose. However, the fragrance has such a nice history and a really beautiful bottle.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Great for grandma, not for me.

Chemically, WAY too floral in a very unpleasant, musty way.

Love the bottle though?

EDIT:
I have to edit this. I was antique shopping today and found an old LdT bottle, I opened it up to smell it and was not at all jarring or chemically. I actually...liked it. But seeing as how that formulation is long gone...

Ok, once again, I hate to knock a classic. This perfume was my grandmother's hg and it really became her signature fragrance. I really liked smelling it on her as a little kid, because it was just her smell. When I got a little older, I tried it for myself and it was simply too floral for my taste. I do not feel like the smell really fit my personality, as I prefer fruity, sweet, tropical, and spicy fragrances. This perfume is really strong, and while some people can carry it off, it lingers and is easy to overdo. It is one of those perfumes that can easily "wear you" if you are not careful.

on 2/21/2008 10:47:00 AM

Smells exactly live Nivea lotion on me. Makes me a little nostalgic for...Nivea?
Hm. Has that powdery quality reminiscent of Chanel No.5, Joy, etc....seems like the classics are always a little aldehydic, a little powdery, perhaps a gesture to a time when perfume was the finishing part of a toilette, like a dusting of powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OK, ok, won't call this "old lady" because that's just too obvious, and apparently some people don't like it being called that. It certainly is mature though. I gave it two lippies for fantastic staying power. Such staying power, in fact, that when I tried it on at the airport I could not wash it off and I was stuck on a small plane with a mature floral bubble surrounding me.

It was not for me.