Jane Iredale Absence

Jane Iredale Absence

3.4

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 5%, Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891) 4.5%. Inactive Ingredients: Ethyl Macadamiate, Mica (CI 77019), Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Ozokerite, Beeswax, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Hydrated Silica, Silicone Powder, Boron Nitride, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch, Tribehenin, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Syringa Vulgaris (Lilac) Extract, Stearic Acid, Tocopherol, Bisabolol.

on 11/20/2011 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Makes u look like a ghost if overapplied but if underapplied how effective is it? One star for the pleasant smell and one for the zinc oxide..JI needs to rethink this product for sure

on 11/12/2011 7:24:00 PM

This is my favorite primer so far. Yes it takes getting use to. I apply ONLY to the spots I want to minimize my pores using a foundation brush. It takes VERY little and feels great on my skin, I actually don't even notice it. One thing I've noticed is that it tends to build up and takes some effort to remove thoroughly. Exfoliation will show you the product was not removed with washing. I think this has healing properties as well, because the areas I apply it to looks healthier/ I've been using to 2 weeks and no break outs or irritations.I'll update more with use.

UPDATE: Ok I ended up sending this back. It was too much work to apply. It would be great if my skin was consistent everyday but it's not so occasionally it would pill. As I mentioned above, the build up started to become a problem and I was bumps.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

I'm afraid I did not like this at all.
Couldn't apply it well enough to my skin.
Made me look quite ghosty and greasy.
Didn't 'get' this product at all.
Disappointed as JI products are generally quite good.

on 9/16/2010 6:46:00 PM

Ehhhhh I'm still on the fence for this product. I've been using it for a couple of days, each time trying a different application technique. I have only been using a VERY small amount of the primer and applying it with a foundation brush, using a criss-cross motion (following the directions)...it does make my skin soft (and thus making it easier to apply foundation)....but it just feels so heavy on my face, and I actually think it makes my face more greasy looking.
For the positives, it has a very nice smell, good packaging, good color (doesn't make my fair skin any more pale looking), and doesn't break my skin out (huge positive).
Maybe others will have better luck with this.
******EDIT******
Since this is the first primer that hasn't caused me breakouts, I was determined to make this work! Instead of applying it all over my face, I just put it on the areas where my pores were enlarged (upper cheeks). It worked PERFECTLY. My pores were completely concealed all day!! I have tried a LOT of high-end super expensive primers, and this one beats them all for pore minimizing. :)

on 7/17/2010 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I am really on the fence with this product. At first I didn't love it enough to keep using it, and thought it smelled like waxy old lady makeup, so it sat in my kit for a couple years. I've worn it the past couple days and notice that it does give my mineral foundation more oomph - a little more coverage for my sun damaged skin, and helps my cheap-o e.l.f. $5 mineral concealer blend better in those pesky nose folds, and gives an overall creamy finish. ALTHOUGH I did have to finish with a mist to get everything blended just right. Big downer is that I did break out both days using Absence. I think it was actually millia, not a pimple, but still... So, I probably would not buy it again. I didn't like the tray for the sponge, and it ran out super quick considering how little I used it. I think the Monistat Chaffing Gel (or other silicone based primer) is a better bet if you're not sensitive to silicone.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

My sister actually bought this a few years ago, and never used it i guess! I found it one day in her old makeup box and decided to give it a go, since my skin is soooo incredibly oily ( i go through those Clean n clear blotting tissues almost hourly).

I have golden toned half asian, half white (hapa) skin, and this is a dark color in the container (abscense 2) so i touched it with my fingertips lightly and rubbed it onto my skin, thinking it would tint my skin. Somehow the color disappeared immediately! I found that dabbing a bit on my forhead, rubbing it in, then dabbing a bit on the cheeks and chin (a BIT, a tiny tiny bit!!! it goes a long way!) then applying liquid foundation and brushing some powder on top makes my skin look FLAWLESS! and oil free almost all day! incredible!

I am also acne prone and have easily clogged pores, but i have found by exfoliating every day with the Body Shop's seaweed exfoliator, i don't have to worry about this primer clogging my skin. it certainly hasn't caused any problems and i've been using it over 2 weeks.

i'm not sure how much this cost, but if it ever runs out or my sister decides to take it back from me, i'll definitely buy more!

on 6/17/2010 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

It does its job as oil control primer. Also good for sensitive, acne-prone skin. The only primer, I believe, that doesn't break me out.

The problem I have on this is that the primer CAN look ashy on medium skintones, so be careful on how much you put on your face. Usually a small amount or a gentle swipe w/ a brush will be enough for the whole face.

And also, the packaging is not that great. I have to use a cotton swab or a foundation brush to take the product instead of having a pump or comes in a tube like other primers.

Overall, it's not a bad primer especially when you have senstive skin.

on 4/14/2010 8:52:00 AM

I have very sensitive skin and most make-up products make me breakout, not Absence!
Besides, Absence protect my skin from other products!!!
For example, Flawless foundation Lumiere after Absabce was ok, but when I try it directly to my skin - I got a problems immediately.

The only moment I was surprised: It is very light or very dark (only 2 colors). For my fairy skintone it's good, but what must choose mediumskined persons...I have no idea =)

on 2/4/2010 5:56:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I apply Absense with a foundation brush on my t-zone before I apply the JI Pure Pressed foundation. It really helps to mattify any shine and creates a smooth canvas for me to apply my foundation. I don't think it's drying at all, unless you apply too much.

I love this product in conjunction with the JI PurePressed Base. Most of the time I'm too lazy to put it on - if I'm running out the door I just grab my compact and mini kabuki. But, on the days where I take my time to put my makeup on, I never skip this product. You need the smallest amount. I apply it with my fingers because the heat from your hand helps the product melt into your skin. If you don't like to apply product with your fingers, apply sheerly with a brush and maybe press your hand over your face to set. This keeps the foundation from oxidizing and allows it to last longer on my super oily T-Zone.