Aftelier Cepes and Tuberose

No Image

3.9

on 10/1/2012 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tuberose as a fine wine. Tuberose as a syrupy reduction, thick and non-sugary sweet, drizzled on my dessert or mixed into my cocktail. This has a beautifully round, rich, velvety feel, something I can taste as I smell it. I can see why the Bois de Jasmin reviews of Aftelier perfumes are more poetry than analysis. This is powerful, transportive stuff.

Unique, totally unlike other tuberose scents I've tried and liked. Tuberose and spice (Nasomatto), dewy tuberose (Arquiste), popcorn butter tuberose (L'Artisan), and just big glorious diva tuberose (Frederic Malle and others). This is different. But not quirky. I had prepared myself for some Dans Tes Bras funk, like pu-erh tea. None to be had. In the first 2-3 minutes, there is something like martini bitters meets bookbinding paste. But that passes faster then the menthol phase of Tubereuse Criminelle.

A customer service note: my samples arrived at superhero speed. Ordered on Friday or Saturday; here in Monday's mail.

Aftelier's prices gave me pause . . . before I tried this, my first sample of her work. I do mind paying, with other perfume lines, for ridiculous marketing or pretentious packaging. With Aftelier and other lines, I wouldn't mind paying for amazing creativity, and quality ingredients.

on 6/11/2011 9:17:00 AM

This, on me, is a fully, rich floral. I would avoid saying 'with earthy undertones' since I generally categorise earthy notes to be patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss and dark musk. The cepes note here, while deep, does not have that slightly fusty feel that these notes have for me - its very 'clear', if that makes sense. It blends very well with the benzoin to create a very rich, full body and base from which the flowers bloom.

Cepes and Tuberose begins with a clear, high note of rose and tuberose, rounds out with the cepes and fades to the warm sweet vanilla note of benzoin. It actually smells rather chocolate-like on the dry down.

Im going to enjoy wearing this on summer evenings, but would be a year round perfume for me, and I, unlike other reviewers, feel it is work-safe since I get none of the dirty or animalic associations.

My only reservation would be the longevity, which I know is a corollary of natural perfumes. Id rather like to decant my mini into a rollerball to make reapplication on the go easier. I tried putting a drop onto some tissue to place in my bra the other day, but while the tissue stayed fragranced the entire day, it didnt have enough waft for me to smell it! I will probably go from my mini bottle to a full size Eau de Parfum so I can spritz it all over and on my clothes.

on 2/7/2010 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This reminds me of another natural fragrance, DSH Rose Vert. Like RV, it begins in a tangle of sharp greens, which dries down to dirt--but in a good way. Also like RV, the floral note is very sheer. This is a great outdoorsy sort of smell, but I wouldn't wear it as perfume.

on 10/31/2009 4:16:00 PM

Bought a sample of this from Aftelier because the Now Smell This list of 100 perfumes you must try got me interested. Sometimes people write saying "I really wanted to like this but . . ." In my case I really didn't want to like this because it is so expensive, but I have to say, I am just rocked by it. The tuberose dominates but the mushroom is perceptible, more so, as you get your wrist closer to your nose. It is very a very strong smelling and long lasting fragrance but not insistent or strident. There are three, may-be four applications in the tiny vials that come from Aftelier. I think I will be very sad to use this up, but cannot see buying a bottle -- it is just so expensive. But I have more sampling to do and it is not unimaginable (based on how much I like this compared to the dozens I have already tried) that I will relent . . .

I also bought Aftelier's perfume circle chart, which is a very good tool to help you -- is there a word for "visualize" when it comes to smell -- how a perfume might smell when you read the notes. It is a nice companion to Essence and Alchemy.

on 9/6/2008 12:05:00 AM

I only had a sample of this, but the packaging looks fine on the site. After hearing that artificial musk, like what is in my former fave Narciso Rodriquez for Her, is really terrible for you, I searched for a musky, non-chemical fragrance. I tried this. The Tubersose part is lovely, pretty flowers, and the Cepes side is earthy and sexy. It is fantastic and just what I was looking for.

on 1/14/2007 2:50:00 AM

An original combination of notes, in the best tradition of Aftelier. The carnal, heady creaminess of tuberose and the earthy, animalic persona of porcini mushrooms. A very unusual match! On my skin, however, there is something lacking - the scent feels flat overall and I feel the need for a third element to add some fire. I am pretty sure the reason for that is the presence of sandalwood, which hardly ever works well on my skin, and does just that - flattens whatever else wonderful the perfume has to offer. I am sure on the right skin this will smell a lot sexier, as this is a very sexy array of notes.

on 1/5/2006 11:35:00 AM

I would not call this an easy to wear fragrance. My chemistry doesn't do well with tuberose, but I somehow manage to carry this off...I think it's the earthy, musky, mushroom scent that does it for me. I'll admit it - I like some mainstream fragrances and my favorite notes (amber, tobacco, leather, spices, woods, smoke) seem to be quite trendy...yet, still I strive for something different. Cepes and Tuberose most definitely fits the bill. It's dirty. It's sex in the middle of the woods. Ok, or in a less seductive way , maybe it's just Eau de Porcini...but it works. Sooo...why the poor rating, you ask? Much like a quickie in the woods, this one lasts all of 30 seconds. At over $100 for a 1/4 oz, methinks it's less than FBW.

on 8/25/2005 9:37:00 PM

I have been sampling Cepes et Tubereuse for some time now determinedly trying to find it's elusive appeal. It's time to wave the white flag. Mushrooms win, tuberose loses. Yes, I can detect the tuberose in there, but I can't shake the musty, dirty mushroom note. I like earthy scents and tried for so long because I felt I *should* be able to appreciate this...but I can't. On my skin this is not good, fertile earth, it's burial ground dirt. On to less funereal tuberoses...

on 5/6/2005 12:47:00 PM

In other tuberose perfumes I have tried, the tuberose eventually dominates every other note. That is not the case with Cepes and Tuberose. The savory, earthy scent of the mushrooms is a good match for the often too-heady tuberose and the result is a strangely mouth-watering appetizer that lasts well and invites attention.

Popular Fragrances