Bobbi Brown Lip Color - Slopes

Bobbi Brown Lip Color - Slopes

4.5

on 4/10/2016 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This shade is described on Sephora's website as "flushed red". But it's not red at all, it's brown. It looks like a 90s color and I'm certainly not interested in wearing dated lipstick. I was looking for something a little bolder, something like a soft red. But when this color arrived, I was disheartened. I really like the BB lipstick formula. I'm one of those people who must lick their lips constantly because lipstick usually doesn't last very long on me. I like Chanel, Nars and Guerlain and now Bobbi Brown. I have a BB lipstick in Soft Rose, which is a neutral medium rose shade with no blue or orange undertones. It's a mlbb shade that's a bit more intense than my natural lip color. It brings life to my entire face and works really well with pink or rosy blush. I use the UD Ozone pencil first and then follow that with a liner the color of the lipstick, which I apply with a lip brush. This formula is not matte but more of a satin finish and isn't drying at all. It's not a super creamy formula, which is great for longevity. It lasts like a matte formula but still has a little shine to it. I'm undecided whether to keep or return Slopes. It might work for fall/winter (it's spring now) but the color certainly isn't anything like I thought it would be. I wish Sephora would get their descriptions right. This lipstick wasn't cheap ($27) and I'm sure there's a better color option for me and something in the red family with a little bit of brown to it. The Nars Matte pencil in Dolce Vita is a neutral light red that I wear often. It isn't a bold shade but certainly a color that is a departure from the lighter colors I regularly use. I prefer mlbb shades because my lips have gotten thinner as I've aged so I no longer wear bright or dark shades, which only make my lips look even thinner. On a side note, I'm considering lip injections, lol! I do like the BB lipstick formula but I"m not happy at all with this color. Slopes reminds me too much of shades I wore 25 years ago. Not a good thing in 2016 I assure you. I give this formula five full lippies but this color deserves only three. It will likely make my lips look all that much thinner so I should probably return it. I don't think I recommend this shade at all. However, if you're young enough not to remember the 90s look of brown makeup, then by all means go forth in good health. Don't they say that if you're old enough to have worn the trend the first time, don't repeat it when it comes around again? I'm certainly old enough to have worn 90s makeup so I don't think it would be a good look to repeat it. So I guess I've finally made up my mind: Slopes is going back.

on 1/4/2016 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been a fan of Bobbi Brown's Lip Color for a while with Brownie as my go to color for years. Not sure why I took so long to try Slopes but I'm glad I finally did. I wear this every single day at work. It's the same color as my lips but just a tad bit deeper. I love how it defines my lips and makes them look polished while still looking completely natural. Definitely a MLBB shade for me. Brownie has been knocked off its pedestal. Love, love, love this lipstick.

To Read all 35 Reviews, Login or Join

One of my favourite lip colors. A really great pulled together color that can go from sheer to full on vamp. Perfect mix of red, brown with a hint of plum. Looks fantastic with paired down eye makeup, also makes your teeth look as white as a subway tile.

This colour is so pretty, I love wearing it wherever because it makes me feel so pretty! Its a brownish plummy colour and it somewhat reminds me of MAC Verve, which I think has a bit more brown and less moisturizing. I'm somewhat of a lipstick addict but I always end up reaching for this one. The colour is versatile and it can be worn both light and dark,The only issue that I have with this is, I don't know why, it doesn't seem to last that long on my lips, maybe 2 hour?:s But I honestly dont care I would definitely buy this again when it runs out!

Lipstick used to be my favorite cosmetic, and I wore it every day. But some years back I decided I just couldn't hack how dry the shades I like made my lips. The timing corresponded with the trend of thick, goopy lipgloss, a look for which I couldn't really force enthusiasm... and that turned into an instant sticky trap for any hairs that escaped being pulled back in windy SF. YUCK. So I switched to wearing balm every day.

Enter the 90s aesthetic revival! This color looks like something I would have chosen in Ye Olden Daye: neutral enough to wear anywhere but fairly dark and matte. A teeny bit brownish, but only enough to make it a dark neutral. I would have worn this all day, every day back then! As many have mentioned it's a shade that seems like it'd work beautifully on a wide rang of complexions. I'm very pale, with pinky-red undertones and it's a perfect shade on me.

I find the scent completely inoffensive, though admittedly I'm not terribly pick about this - my main concern is that the shade is flattering and that it doesn't dry out my lips. Well... I give that about a 1.75 out of two. The shade is really, really nice. And it doesn't *completely* parch my lips, but I can definitely tell I wore LS rather than balm the next day. I doubt I'd want to wear it more than 2 days in a row, tops. But it's nowhere near as drying as other LS I used to tolerate, especially for how long-lasting it is.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

A "flushed red"? Nope. Let's be clear-this is a very pretty color which works well with my dark brunette hair and light/olive coloring, but I see it as more of a plummy/deep rose with maybe juuust a hint of brown. I think in the Bobbi Brown world this stands out as more "red" than most of the neutrals she is so famous for. I see several comments about taste, which I really don't get, either. It has a mild scent, but not offensive, to me. The wondrous thing about Bobbi Brown colors is that they work with one's complexion, generally, and if you find a BB color that works for you, you will feel like you have struck gold. This one is one of those! It makes me feel pretty but its not one that I wear in a professional setting that looks out of place or clownish. Creamy formula, nice staying power. I use it with the Slopes liner for a bit more intensity. Prettier on me than "raisin", which just looks brown/blah. When I want a little more "real" red, reach for "crimson" (beautiful ) or "red" (classic).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My desert-island lipstick, for sure. Once in a while, there is a color that wakes up your whole face and makes you look healthy. It goes with whatever you're wearing and can be worn to work, play or special occasions with equal aplomb. This is my color. I think it may be many people's color. Heck, I have even put it on when lounging around the house in my pajamas just to feel prettier - and poof! I am! This is a quiet, neutral flushed red in a chic, minimalistic squared tube that has no scent or taste. Some might find it drying, but I think the formula clings to the lips and stays on for a long time without being sticky - a plus in my book. Sings *I feel pretty*...

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is definitely one of my new favorite lip colors; I am amazed that it can look so different! A sheer coat just defines my lips -- it darkens them to the point where they are rosy and noticeable (I was told by the SA that Bobbi Brown designed the color after the flushed look of skiiers coming off the slopes in Telluride). With another coat, it becomes a deeper rosewood (or maybe mulberry), which can be built up even further to a vampy dark red. Given its versatility, I think it would look flattering on a variety of skin tones -- particularly since, at base, it's a neutral; it leans neither warm nor cool. I highly recommend checking this shade out -- it is definitely one of the most interesting colors I have ever seen (and I am very particular)! The only caveat is that it is a bit drying; I highly recommend using balm underneath.

For reference: NW5-10, NARS Siberia.

When it comes to lipstick two criteria strike me as most important, color and texture in terms of whether or not it is drying or not. This color is a beautiful plummy burgundy red and on me there is no hint of brown. I saw that one of the reviewer's of this color is an Asian woman who said she had read that the Bobbi Brown product line has some of the best colors for Asians. I had read the same thing so while I am not Asian I do have a yellow undertone so I thought perhaps BBrown would have some becoming lipstick colors for me. Well Raisin was too brown for me, Slopes is a great color which I think would suit a lot of people. As I prefer a stained look I blot my lipstick, re-apply and blot again so I avoid a "lipsticky" look. For some reason the color seems to last longer when I apply it this way. I think this color would suit fair skinned to dark skinned women, it is in my opinion what I would classify as a "dark neutral." Also, as I blot it it doesn't feel drying.

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

This is a very nice reddish/brown color that livens up my face, without being too overpowering. Bobbi Brown's colors seem to work well for Asian complexions like mine, and also seem to work well for warm undertones (in fact a long time ago some Asian beauty magazine picked Bobbi as some of the best makeup colors for Asians). It's perhaps not as moisturizing as I'd like, but it does last a long time and I like that it doesn't bleed. It's a keeper!