Laura Biagiotti - Roma

Filtered by skin type : Combination
 Laura Biagiotti - Roma

on 5/22/2017 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wore almost a full bottle of this when it first came out. It's a warm citrus tinged amber, somewhat sweet, with vanilla, but totally different than a sugar vanilla scent today. Not gourmand. Although it has some mint, I never detected any when I wore it, and I am surprised, reading the notes today, that it is there. Back then, I often wore men's fragrance, and this was one of those that was in between. (I also liked vintage Karl Lagerfeld for men, another warm toned amber). I have since moved away from Amber and somewhat away from floral orientals.

I am a fan of vintage fragrance and if you are interested in this, I would recommend seeking out a vintage sample from a reputable source. I am not familiar with modern versions (reformulated to comply with current rules). Some reviewers comment that it's a mature perfume. I would point out that it was mature when it came out. I think people gravitated toward it because it was confident, quiet and comforting. . . Suitable for an office or a signature scent for almost all seasons and every day. This makes me think of EStee launder spellbound (the amber juice, not the reformulations) not because they are similar, but because Spellbound elicited the same kind of complimentary remarks in reviews due to its warm, ambery and cuddly nature. Spellbound is not gourmand either.

on 4/28/2016 6:59:00 PM

I'm in love with this perfume, its my favorite

on 10/20/2011 4:29:00 AM

I wish we could use half-lippies -- I'd actually give Roma a 3 1/2. Roma is your basic amber, of the powdery amber variety. It's got a little more ballooning in the base of the resinous and subtle vanilla notes. There's also a distinct citric/herbal spine that keeps the fragrance from getting too sweet.

But in the end, it is an amber variant, much like a lighter, drier Moschino. You could do much worse. The harshest thing I can say about Roma is that it didn't hit me as wildly original. Still, it's very pleasant to wear, and smell on others. Like most of the powdery ambers, if it's on too strong, it can be cloying, suffocating, and irritating as anything. But with a careful hand,subtle and very nice, with a pretty, lasting, girly powder. If it had to be a choice, I like this better than Moschino - softer, with a snugglier feel. Moschino is more leather and bitter flowers - sort of the difference between a lip-softening, matte, pale red lipstick and a dark, dark, shiny, vampire red lipstick-laquer - both "red lipstick" but worlds apart in effect.

on 9/10/2011 11:33:00 AM

Well, hm, not too sure about this one. I got it in Austria for around E24 so I thought I would take a punt at it. the notes are bergamot/vanilla/myrhh. I don't get much of the bergamot and the drydown reminds me of something else, maybe a Lauder perfume. still and all it is no bad. A pretty oriental fragrance with fairly good staying power. I like but don't love. Would possibly purchase again as the price is good and it is quite pleasant.

on 5/19/2011 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I just got my bottle of Roma which I have bought unsniffed, primarly because of the comments on MUA! I took my first spritz last night and the verdict is "unsure". More anon!

Update: this fragrance is NOT for me!! I reduced the rating. PLEASE let me know if anyone wants to swap. Please!

on 4/17/2010 4:39:00 PM

I discovered this wonderful scent a couple of years ago and have been in love with it ever since. I never grow tired of its warm, sunny personality, which makes it stand out in a crowd.

This is a perfume for exuberant, confident women.

My favourite parts are the minty, citrussy opening ( which always fills me with "joie de vivre") and the sublime, balsmic/vanilla drydown.

I often get complimented when I wear this Italian gem. Such a travesty it was discontinued along with Venezia. Who makes these decisions?

on 2/17/2008 10:41:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I get no mint whatsoever. What I do get is very strong Black Currant. As it wears on, this fades down to a lovely oriental base with a slight powdered feel, which accounts for some reviewers opinions that it smells 'old.' It definitely has a vintage feel and smells like nothing that's come out in the last ten years. I get no fresh floral, no bright sunshiney Rome, but I do get a softly elegant understated Lady, capital "L" with that black currant showing up now and again to keep things interesting. I may not buy a full bottle, but I wouldn't be wasting my money if I did. Very nice, very pretty, and no, not for little girls. This is confident class all the way.

on 10/26/2007 3:58:00 AM

I am impressed by the quality of the fragrance reviews on MUA. Some sound like real perfume buffs. I'm afraid I can't go into the fine details of the ingredients of the perfume - I just know if I like it or not. And I like this one, a lot. I have been wearing it on and off for many years. To me the scent is sort of fresh and floral (sorry that's as technical as I can get). Another reviewer commented that she though this pefume smelt "old" - well that puts me in my place! Funnily enough, a young colleague (who happens to be Italian) complemented me on my fragrance and then spoilt it by saying that it reminded me of her mother! (To be fair, her mother and I are probably quite close in age). Funnily enough, I have commented here that I find Joy an old-fashioned and old lady fragrance, but I don't see it with Roma.
I just love it. The only reason I don't wear it all the time is that I have only been able to find it in very large bottles. I love the look of the Grecian column but the glass is very thick and it weights down my handbag, as I like to carry my perfume with me.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Laura Biagiotti Roma reminds me of very much Guerlain's Jicky EdT. However, rather than a blast of lavendar in the opening you get a blast of pine/mint; then in the drydown there's a lovely soft amber, rather than a typical Guerlain vanilla drydown. I like both; they're similar but different. Roma is truly delightfully pleasant and easy to wear. I think I'll be looking for a bottle to add to my collection. It's FBW; and now that it's discontinued in the U.S., Roma is an inexpensive find. A European MUAer informed me recently that throughtout Europe -- LB Roma is still available in all forms. Enjoy!

First sniff from the bottle i purchased on ebay....old, 70's (actually the 80's I believe). But i went for it and wore it out to our favorite sports bar & grill. something about it faintly reminded me of Fifi...a spice maybe...but I later compared notes and they have nothing in common. Then there is the mint. I think I'm diggin' mint in a fragrance, because I get the same reaction when my BF wears Very Irresistible for Men, which also has mint leaves. Its not a note that is there all the time, but catching that occassional whiff of mint brings my attention back to the fragrance as a whole. Hmmm...an interesting wear...I think I like it :)

Popular Fragrances