Laura Biagiotti - Roma

Laura Biagiotti - Roma

4.3

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I am an absolute perfume junkie....to an extent that instead of wine i keep my perfume in my wine cellar....
I go from season to season, mood to mood, day to night - always change....i don't stick to flowers or citrusy smells, woody or amber....it is all about feelings for me - not names or ingredients.....

This is one of those.....where i smelled a men's one on a friend of mine and thought the house that created the mens one so delicate and sweet yet fresh and masculine cannot make a mistake with a women's one....ordered a miniature off ebay and fell in love...it starts with a playful grapefruit note, going into a more settle soapy and feminine smell....what can i say...i am in love with Rome:)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Roma is my new summer love... one of the best fragrances I've had the privilege of smelling! It has left an impression on me. It's a very suitable perfume for wandering around a city like Roma. :) It's very womanly, but not very strong. However, it won't go unnoticed. It has a confident vibe about it and it sparkles with bergamot. I'm definitely getting some animalistic notes from this that are a little too strong, but softens up as it dries down. It's beautifully blended and great for dry summer weather. I agree, it has class! At first I bought a mini, and as soon as I received the mini I set sail to buy a full bottle. I use it more than any other fragrance in my collection now. When I wear it, I do have flashbacks of my memories growing up in Italy. Not particularly Rome, but it also captures the essence of other large cities in Italy. When I first wore Roma, I was a bit taken back; the first spray reminded me of - to put it honestly - cat piss. I'm going to assume it's the mix of sharp grapefruit note with sharp mint note, but at least that sharp smell goes away in a flash. After it settles for a minute, the true beauty of Roma is revealed with a minty, slightly powdery jasmine. There is definitely a lot of musk or civet, or something animalistic that is very dominant, but not overpowering. After a while, you can smell the vanilla, too. It's just a gorgeous perfume. To me it seems to be a very sophisticated, feminine fragrance, and a confident luxurious one at that. Refreshing and assuring. I'll be buying it over and over again!

Notes as mentioned on fragrantica:
Top notes are pink grapefruit, sicilian bergamot, and fresh mint, hyacinth. Middle notes are jasmine, rose, lily of the valley with base notes of animalistic notes, vanilla, sandal wood, amber, musk, and civet.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have just bought a mini size of the EDT based on reviews here (got it at sasa.com). I'm giving it 5 because I think it's one of the most unique fragrances I've owned. I am not great at describing fragrance notes but on first application I get a gorgeous hit of citrus - it's not too sharp though. It is tempered by other fragrance notes (I think it's probably jasmine and vanilla). Not all perfumes start out so welcoming but this one really does! It eventually fades into a lovely sort of "floriental" but I can still detect that beautiful grapefruitiness that sucked me in at the beginning. Some may find it dries down a bit powdery but I really like it. It's sublte enough for the office and suits springtime in my mind. It makes me think of sunshine and oranges. Would love to get my hands on a parfum version!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

As a perfume junkie with 80+ bottles of perfume, I rarely buy a second bottle of the same perfume--except Roma. I'm on my 3rd bottle (with a 4th in storage--Roma has been discontinued--oh why oh why?). As for the scent--on me I smell spicy powdery with hint of orange. I've smelled nothing quite like it, so I guess when the 4th bottle gets used up...:-(

Roma is a recent favorite. I first tried this in a mini form last year; I was attracted by the name and the bottle, frankly. As an old Latinist, I figured I really ought to keep this in my collection, so I eventually bit and bought a full bottle. Roma opens with a bracing shot of grapefruit, black currant bud, and mint. The mint can be pretty strong, but it's something that I like the more I smell it. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it has grown on me considerably. As it develops on the skin, Roma seems to go through a classical drydown. There is a balsamic blend that hovers in the background, adding a subtle complexity to this scent, very reminiscent of the sensual balsamic accord in Shalimar. According to Laura Biagiotti, Roma's balsamic blend, which contains N African myrrh, Siamese ambergris and vanilla, is similar to a mixture actually used by ancient Roman women. When I wear Roma, I really can imagine I'm wending my way to the Colosseum all lit up at night, or feeling the coolness of the Pantheon's interior on a clear spring day. Roma reflects the invigorating excitement and opulence of the eternally ancient city whose name it shares. Brava, Ms Biagiotti!

on 10/20/2011 4:29:00 AM

I wish we could use half-lippies -- I'd actually give Roma a 3 1/2. Roma is your basic amber, of the powdery amber variety. It's got a little more ballooning in the base of the resinous and subtle vanilla notes. There's also a distinct citric/herbal spine that keeps the fragrance from getting too sweet.

But in the end, it is an amber variant, much like a lighter, drier Moschino. You could do much worse. The harshest thing I can say about Roma is that it didn't hit me as wildly original. Still, it's very pleasant to wear, and smell on others. Like most of the powdery ambers, if it's on too strong, it can be cloying, suffocating, and irritating as anything. But with a careful hand,subtle and very nice, with a pretty, lasting, girly powder. If it had to be a choice, I like this better than Moschino - softer, with a snugglier feel. Moschino is more leather and bitter flowers - sort of the difference between a lip-softening, matte, pale red lipstick and a dark, dark, shiny, vampire red lipstick-laquer - both "red lipstick" but worlds apart in effect.

on 6/3/2008 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Along with a couple of other great fragrances, Roma has been my favourite since it first appeared on the market almost 20 years ago. Whenever I wear this perfume I get tons of compliments. Unique and different, strong but not overpowering, it's a perfect summer fragrance as someone pointed out, although, it can be worn any time of the year. I have repurchased this perfume probably 10-15 times in the last 20 or so years and I never grew out of it.

Quite possibly my most unexpected scent love ever, since it seems to be composed of elements that I usually abhor -- bergamot, grapefruit (the two black sheep of the citrus family imo), jasmine, patchoulli, etc.. This scent opens up with a blast of sharp, zesty bergamot and mint and dries to a bed of spicy, soft, grapefruit heaven. I can't explain why exactly (perhaps its that vanilla) but this is incredibly soft, comforting, cuddly and addictive. A travesty that it was discontinued.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am not exactly sure why I barely hear raves about Roma especially since it is a gorgeous ambery, oriental with a beautiful powdery drydown. I'm very thankful to a kindhearted and lovely MUA'er, who shared a decant of this with me. Otherwise, I would never have found out about this wonderful scent! Perfect for evenings and is definitely suited for fall and winter.
For those of you looking for a great bargain, I've seen this deeply discounted at scentiments.com.
Top notes:bergamot, black currant and mint.
Middle notes: carnation, jasmine and rose
Base notes: civet, patchouli and vanilla.
continued >>

A very happy discovery at an airport duty-free (of all places), where it was on sale. I'd heard good things about Ms. Biagiotti, and so tried Roma. In my harried state, it instantly reminded me of La Perla Eclix, but that initial impression was way too simple. Roma could be mistaken for a gourmand, but it's also many other things: an oriental (vanilla, amber), a chypre (oakmoss), a fruity-floral (grapefruit, blackcurrant/carnation, jasmine). The heart note of mint gives it an unusual coolness, almost like mint toothpaste on my chemistry, but have no fear... that quickly warms up into the comforting powder everyone below is raving about. Roma is being discounted to an amazing value online. Snag it now before this hidden gem disappears forever!

Popular Fragrances