Laura Biagiotti - Roma

Laura Biagiotti - Roma

4.1

on 5/22/2017 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wore almost a full bottle of this when it first came out. It's a warm citrus tinged amber, somewhat sweet, with vanilla, but totally different than a sugar vanilla scent today. Not gourmand. Although it has some mint, I never detected any when I wore it, and I am surprised, reading the notes today, that it is there. Back then, I often wore men's fragrance, and this was one of those that was in between. (I also liked vintage Karl Lagerfeld for men, another warm toned amber). I have since moved away from Amber and somewhat away from floral orientals.

I am a fan of vintage fragrance and if you are interested in this, I would recommend seeking out a vintage sample from a reputable source. I am not familiar with modern versions (reformulated to comply with current rules). Some reviewers comment that it's a mature perfume. I would point out that it was mature when it came out. I think people gravitated toward it because it was confident, quiet and comforting. . . Suitable for an office or a signature scent for almost all seasons and every day. This makes me think of EStee launder spellbound (the amber juice, not the reformulations) not because they are similar, but because Spellbound elicited the same kind of complimentary remarks in reviews due to its warm, ambery and cuddly nature. Spellbound is not gourmand either.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

As a perfume junkie with 80+ bottles of perfume, I rarely buy a second bottle of the same perfume--except Roma. I'm on my 3rd bottle (with a 4th in storage--Roma has been discontinued--oh why oh why?). As for the scent--on me I smell spicy powdery with hint of orange. I've smelled nothing quite like it, so I guess when the 4th bottle gets used up...:-(

on 10/20/2011 4:29:00 AM

I wish we could use half-lippies -- I'd actually give Roma a 3 1/2. Roma is your basic amber, of the powdery amber variety. It's got a little more ballooning in the base of the resinous and subtle vanilla notes. There's also a distinct citric/herbal spine that keeps the fragrance from getting too sweet.

But in the end, it is an amber variant, much like a lighter, drier Moschino. You could do much worse. The harshest thing I can say about Roma is that it didn't hit me as wildly original. Still, it's very pleasant to wear, and smell on others. Like most of the powdery ambers, if it's on too strong, it can be cloying, suffocating, and irritating as anything. But with a careful hand,subtle and very nice, with a pretty, lasting, girly powder. If it had to be a choice, I like this better than Moschino - softer, with a snugglier feel. Moschino is more leather and bitter flowers - sort of the difference between a lip-softening, matte, pale red lipstick and a dark, dark, shiny, vampire red lipstick-laquer - both "red lipstick" but worlds apart in effect.

on 9/10/2011 11:33:00 AM

Well, hm, not too sure about this one. I got it in Austria for around E24 so I thought I would take a punt at it. the notes are bergamot/vanilla/myrhh. I don't get much of the bergamot and the drydown reminds me of something else, maybe a Lauder perfume. still and all it is no bad. A pretty oriental fragrance with fairly good staying power. I like but don't love. Would possibly purchase again as the price is good and it is quite pleasant.

on 5/19/2011 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I just got my bottle of Roma which I have bought unsniffed, primarly because of the comments on MUA! I took my first spritz last night and the verdict is "unsure". More anon!

Update: this fragrance is NOT for me!! I reduced the rating. PLEASE let me know if anyone wants to swap. Please!

on 4/17/2010 4:39:00 PM

I discovered this wonderful scent a couple of years ago and have been in love with it ever since. I never grow tired of its warm, sunny personality, which makes it stand out in a crowd.

This is a perfume for exuberant, confident women.

My favourite parts are the minty, citrussy opening ( which always fills me with "joie de vivre") and the sublime, balsmic/vanilla drydown.

I often get complimented when I wear this Italian gem. Such a travesty it was discontinued along with Venezia. Who makes these decisions?

on 10/26/2007 3:58:00 AM

I am impressed by the quality of the fragrance reviews on MUA. Some sound like real perfume buffs. I'm afraid I can't go into the fine details of the ingredients of the perfume - I just know if I like it or not. And I like this one, a lot. I have been wearing it on and off for many years. To me the scent is sort of fresh and floral (sorry that's as technical as I can get). Another reviewer commented that she though this pefume smelt "old" - well that puts me in my place! Funnily enough, a young colleague (who happens to be Italian) complemented me on my fragrance and then spoilt it by saying that it reminded me of her mother! (To be fair, her mother and I are probably quite close in age). Funnily enough, I have commented here that I find Joy an old-fashioned and old lady fragrance, but I don't see it with Roma.
I just love it. The only reason I don't wear it all the time is that I have only been able to find it in very large bottles. I love the look of the Grecian column but the glass is very thick and it weights down my handbag, as I like to carry my perfume with me.

on 2/3/2007 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This Laura Biagiotti fragrance is a gem. It starts out with herbal, minty citrus topnotes which I love. They are not too sharp though. It settles down to a soft floral amber vanilla that is not too sweet and retains a hint of the topnotes. It is completely well blended and smooth. Very easy to wear - could easily be an everyday fragrance. It is aptly named - just has a very Italian feel to it. It may be discontinued but there is alot of ths available at VERY low prices. I really think this is a better crafted fragrance than Venezia. I will always have this one around.

on 1/18/2007 9:57:00 PM

Roma has gotten me more compliments that any other fragrance ... and I own a bunch. One man I worked with would walk by my desk in the morning to get "his Roma fix," and called me from a department store to confirm the name so that he could buy it for his wife. I've had friends who don't wear any fragrance go out and buy it because they loved it so much. One friend who wore Ysatis, exclusively, and had no use for other fragrances, actually complimented me on Roma. The compliments just keep coming! I guess Roma "works for me."

on 5/11/2006 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

Just arrived yesterday. First sniff, I thought I had made a mistake. Seemed powdery and non-descript. Then as it began to dry down (about an hour or more), I started to smell a lovely, soft, feminine scent - not a floral, nor a green or an oriental, but just a warm skin - clean and dressed up... black pantsuit with a lacy camisole scent. VERY appealing. Will be a favorite for work.

I also noticed this morning that it was to be found at a very reasonable price at Overstock.com

Wish I'd seen THAT a bit sooner.

SpinDiva