MAC So Chaud

MAC So Chaud

4.5

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I don't know WHAT made me buy this product, but it wasn't for me! I love to buy products that have cool names and meanings. In this case, So Chaud = So Hot ;) I don't know if it was a red-orange lipstick trend that led me to buy this, but it's really orange! I'm so focused on how the color looked on me, I don't even remember anything else about it!

To my tan/Asian ladies: DON'T BUY THIS, unless you're going for a BOLD look!

on 12/22/2010 2:56:00 AM

For me, with my brown hair/eyes and NC15 skintone, this l/s was incredibly garish. Admittedly, it is a nice colour, but when I put it on...urgh! More orange than red, I think it would work better on slightly darker skintones than mine. The formula is nice, so thats a bonus. But for me, this was unworkable.

on 10/31/2010 9:24:00 AM

Ok so i bought this because i loved the colour and thought that if i tried hard enough, it would work for me. Fail, fail, fail. Im somewhere between NC15-20 and this looks really awful on me. Its an orangy-red matte lipstick. Like most MAC mattes, this one is drying. Wish I could pull it off, but a waste of money for me im afraid!

on 2/15/2016 8:41:00 PM

So similar to lady danger but a not as bright its a deeper orange and somewhat dull in color so if you can't pull off lady danger than go for this one.I have both but prefer lady danger and dangerous is similar as well but that one has the same dull transparent texture as relentlessly red and I won't tepurchase any of those three I'll stick with lady danger of all the orangey reds.

I really like the color of so chaud, is a bright orange but not so light as morangue. My problem with it is that I feel that it doesn't look matte on my lips and also that sometimes when I apply it looks really lumpy.

My sister has told me more than once that for her it looks very similar to ruby woo, but I must disagree, I think so chaud is much more yellow than ruby woo and not half as matte.

I do like the color but it's so temperamental with me that I don't think I would get it again.

Of all my mac lipsticks this is the only one that I feel like the formula has change since I bought it, and also, it's the only one that acts different every time I use it.

on 4/18/2012 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

MAC calls this color "intense reddish-orange" but it is definitely more red. It is nothing like Morange or Neon Orange which are much more true orange shades. This is not a shade for the meek. You can tone it down with a gloss but I love the full-throttle color by itself.
I don't reach for this one too often, I wish it was more orange. If you love vintage orange-y red lips, this is a good pick for you. So Chaud is nice because it has the warm kick I want without it looking like I dipped my lips in Tang. Definitely not a repurchase, I'll go for Morange next time.

on 10/3/2010 1:00:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

LOVE this lipstick.
first of all, the red is yellow-based, which suits my asian yellow-toned skin nicely.
I wanted a red lipstick that can be used as a light stain and a bold POP of color and both still looking somewhat natural and not tacky.
This is just right :) and since it is more of a burnt orange than red, it looks very modern and trendy.
love this!
Update: A couple of days ago I just realized how yellow this orangey red color made my teeth. Not so in love with this color anymore. I prefer Ruby Woo; a red that is much more sophisticated too. bringing this lipstick down to 3 lippies now.

on 9/17/2007 5:24:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

So Chaud is a matte formula and the MAC site describes is as "an intense reddish-orange (matte)."

Well, it is intense - in a very sharp, saturated way. It isn't muted in the least, more of a clear tone. But it also doesn't read on my skin as intense reddish-orange so much as it does an intense 50s style orangey-pink. Highly tropical!

Well, I wanted a "serious color" lipstick, and it don't get much more serious than this. However, I usually do better in shades that are a bit muted, and I really try to avoid high pitched pinks at all costs, so I'll be sending this one back.

However, I do think it would be gorgeous on a fair to medium olive skinned brunette - sort of Sophia Loren/Gina Lollabrigida in coloring and style. Really vamp it up with a one piece bathing suit all ruffles and curves and Esther Williams boy legs. Add a curvy platform peep-toe slide and a large brimmed hat and bring the boys to their knees!

(I, on the other hand, am more of an Irish Colleen, red hair, freckles and such. I could wear this color successfully with some work, but I'd not be physically comfortable in it.)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Great red/orange colour. It looks like a warm red in low lighting but in daylight, it's a very vibrant orange. Absolutely love the colour.

The only downside is how drying it is but that's just how it is with matte lipsticks.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Let me start by saying this is the perfect red lipstick for my NC40 skintone. That being said, it's not an actual red...lol. It's actually a very vivid orange red that just looks gorgeous on warm toned gals who have a hard time wearing the typical "true reds" that are blue based and tend to make warm tones look sick and/or washed out. The color payoff is excellent. But since it is a very vivid intense color I could maybe see where this color isn't for everyone but if you're NC30 or above and have a hard time finding a red lippie I suggest trying this. This is my signature red lippie and I always feel super sexy and sophisticated when I wear it.