Chanel Aqualumieres #48 Antigua

4.4

on 9/8/2009 7:46:00 AM

I love Antigua by Chanel, the number must have changed because mine reads #32, not #48. At any rate this is a lovely rose frost on me, doesn't turn blue or brown (yuck, hate brown lippies). It's sophisticated and understated. It's the one I reach for again and again. Not an HG but it's still great. I pair it with Nars "Nico" and it gives a polished look.

As a product - One of Chanel's aqualumieres - hence it is soft and balmy and soft. The staying power is decent to good ( a few hours without eating/drinking), and the elegant tube is always fun to whip out in public :) The rosewater-esque scent is extremely faint. Retails for around $25.

As a color - Antigua is a ever-so-slightly cool toned medium pink. It has a slight bit of shimmer and is pigmented enough to cover my semi-pigmented lips.

As a whole - No gripes on the texture/packaging, etc...and the color is very pretty in the tube but when applied is simply too cool for my NC20 skin; although it doesn't clash, I prefer distinctly warm lipsticks.

Complementary products - Shimmery white shadow (i.e. MAC shroom) and a pink-berry cheek (i.e. NARS outlaw or MAC desert rose)

To Read all 12 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/19/2007 2:03:00 PM

I like this well enough to consider keeping it. RIS from a lovely MUAer

Pros: wonderful texture, smooth, almost creamy, but glossy at the same time. Sheer but pigmented. Shimmery but not glittery. I like the smooth square tube better than my MAC bullet tubes. Gorgeous shimmery rosy pink color. Bright enough to show up, but a fresh baby-lips, just-bitten pink.

Cons: this did not pass the "10 minute test" for me & started to turn brighter pink on me. NOT 80's neon pink, or garish bright fushia, but this did end up a darker/brighter pink that it started out when 1st applied. Don't know if I'll keep it yet - as a redhead I usually can't pull off brighter pink... we'll see

UPDATE: ended swapping this away, just not the right color for me

on 6/19/2007 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous semi-sheer neutral slightly berry medium pink..If berries turn fuschia on you which they do on me,have no fear,this won't.Perfect summer color.Also very moisturizing.Completely worth the $25

on 5/23/2007 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I remember I bought this once back in 2003 along with Waikiki, Tijuana, Bora bora (DC), other 3 DC shades that I can't remember... Those were my first lipsticks from Chanel and I really love the shades! It's like a gloss in a lipstick form but a bit drier though.. My favorite is Antigua and Bora Bora. This is a perfect shade of Pink with shimmers for me during that time. I just hate the fact that it has a little fragrance in it because it bothers me. I've used the shades I had for about 2 weeks and noticed that my lips are getting darker and drier. (NOTE:I do take care of my lips; lipbalms with SPF, exfoliate, lipbalm before bed).. This happened to me with Dior lipstick that has fragrance in it too.. I assume that it's because of the fragrance that's why I get discoloration on my lips.. So, I sent all the lipsticks back to Chanel and kept the Antigua coz I realllllyyy love this shade.. I told myself I wanna try it again and stopped wearing any other lipsticks for another week and used only ANTIGUA, but guess what, it still gave me the same side effect! I hate to return it and I guess the ingredients are too strong for me. I had no choice but return the Antigua :( I wasn't aware that there's MUA at that point, btw.

TIP:I've used this also with Ovation Glossimer on top for a while and it emphasized the shimmers on Antigua even more, makes it more beautiful! C40-NC42, Chanel Contour 80, Black hair, Brown Eyes.
This time I prefer wearing glossimers and Rouge Allures and hopefully one day I can find a shade close to Antigua from RA.

on 4/12/2007 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is the lipstick I get complimented on again and again! I love this for spring/summer months. The color is best described as a shimmery watermelon. Texture is just like others in this line - very smooth, silky and moist.

I love the smooth texture of this lipstick, it's moisturizing and wonderfully sheer and pigmtented at the same time. You can apply a thin layer for a sheer look or layer it up for more color. Love the sleek black case, very classy! :) It also helps that it has SPF 15.

on 1/15/2006 12:23:00 PM

On my complexion (PPP, redhead, bl/gr, pink undertones) i find this to be a medium pink with strong coral undertones and gold shimmer. Originally I though this would look horrid, but it surprisingly brightened up my whole face....i think it willbe my go to for Spring....

This was my first Chanel lipstick and I am glad I bought a tester at half price online. I have seen nothing but rave reviews for this product but all in all it was pretty bleh. The color was a decent neutral pink/red/copper but I found the texture too annoyingly slippery. Even with full lipliner underneath it had little hold. Where is my complicated gorgeous color? Yoinks.

on 1/29/2005 11:51:00 PM

My new HG lipstick. Great for daytime or for a more natural, casual evening look. Doesn't dry out my lips, no real smell. Looks good wih Chanel nude liner. Got this off ebay, but will definitely repurchase.