MAC Matte - Kinda Sexy

Filtered by skin type : Combination
MAC Matte - Kinda Sexy

4.2

on 5/28/2018 8:44:00 PM

Oh, MAC. During the mid to late 2000s, they were like the most coveted brand for us baby make-up junkies. I'd scrape and save for months just to get my hands on their stuff - this was one of the first things I bought after having it on my wishlist for the longest time. Sadly a lot of their other stuff wasn't as amazing as I'd hoped, but this really was. Good matte lipsticks were difficult to find back in the day, and even mediocre ones in the drugstore were few and far between because everyone wanted glossy lips, which I really didn't suit. I loved this so much that for some time, it was the only lipstick I wore.

I am quite fair, around NW10, neutral-cool undertones. It's too dark on me to be a true nude lip color, but it is perfect as a "my lips but better" kind of shade. It is a dusky coral rose colour with wonderful payoff, goes on creamy and opaque and the colour of the bullet is the colour it appears on your lips. It's not as moisturising as the other formulas like satin and amplified cream, but isn't uncomfortable or too drying, either. It doesn't have the same sort of staying power that some matte liquid lipsticks have when eating and drinking, but it's no trouble at all to reapply, it has a thick velvety cream kind of texture and doesn't bleed or smudge so a quick swipe after eating is all you need. I also don't need to use lip liner to keep it in place, even on hot summer days when I'm even more of an oil slick than usual.

Not using a lip liner and sticking to my own natural lip line is perfect for that natural MLBB look, using a lip liner just slightly above the natural line on the cupid's bow gives a more dramatic look for the evening. I bought this for the first time in my teens and still love it now, must be one of the few items where I managed to bring back the six empty MAC cases for a free gift LOL

I'm not keen on the perfumed vanilla-y scent in this but thankfully it's not really detectable once you're wearing it.

on 1/21/2018 4:34:00 PM

One of my favorite pinky nude MAC lipsticks.. I'm NW25, very neutral, lite brown/reddish hair, brn eyes, and this is very flattering. I didn't think it would look great on me, I do prefer mauve shades in mid tone to darker colors, but stick to peachy nudes when I wear a lighter color..so this was a chance that paid off, and isn't too pink on me. I'm not big on matte lippies, but this one is comfortable enough..MAC and UD make the best non drug store lipsticks in my opinion, and I have tons of each, and will keep purchasing! Definitely recommend.

on 12/21/2017 6:49:00 PM

Kinda Sexy is one of my favourite nude MAC lipsticks. It is one I wear to work often as it adds some colour to my face and warms up my complexion while making me look put together but not over-done. Kinda Sexy is a peachy-coral nude shade, which looks particularly fantastic against many different complexions. It looks particularly nice when I have a strong suntan (bringing me from NC15 to NW20 complexion). It has a matte finish which is comfortable to wear. I don’t find it drying but it does not provide any hydration at all. It doesn’t bleed or sink into lip lines. It applies easily without needing to tug the lips. It has excellent staying power and lasts through eating and drinking - I have worn this through many 10 hours shifts! It is a reliable and nude that every neutral-warm toned person should have in their lipstick wardrobe! Definitely one of my top MAC picks!

on 11/8/2017 5:37:00 PM

I prefer velvet teddy better. This was way too orange on my skin. I am neutral fair nc 20 nw 20 skintone. I need to wear a lipliner with this lipstick to make it less orange. It pulls very peachy on me. Velvet teddy is more brown and just looks more suitable and less loud.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

kinda sexy will always have that special place in my heart
this is my first mac lipstick ever, because red lipstick and any darker lipstick is so intimidating for me back on those days
so i pick this one, the color is so pretty
i keep using this for every occasion for work, hanging out with friends, and others
i almost finish this lipstick, even tho there are tons dupe of this shade
i think i will keep buy this one from mac

Great color on my warm complexion. Looks good with NARS Orgasm gloss on top. Also like it with MAC Melba blush.

on 9/11/2016 6:17:00 PM

First off, the color...this is it! I have finally found my perfect nude lippie. I'm someone who can't normally pull off nudes without looking washed out, this one is not too pale, not too beige/brown, not too peachy, and has a subtle pinkness to it that makes it flattering instead of washing me out. My sister is nc30 and on her it looks great paired with smoky eyes. I'm just completely smitten by this color. Love it, love, love, love. This lipstick pairs great with 'Peachykeen' blush for a fresh and subtle, everyday look. I also tried Velvet Teddy at the same time, it was okay, but the shade is too close to my natural lip and leans is abit more brown, while Kinda Sexy leans abit more peach.

Now the bad: I hate the feeling of this on my lips! It felt okay the first hour, but it was when I touched up with a second coat that I began to feel uncomfortable. It felt thick, heavy and dry on. I'm really quite appalled as I have much cheaper lipsticks that feel more comfortable on my lips and are just as matte, plus last almost as long.
I already purchased it, so I'm going to find a way to make this work. Again, I adore this color! I do wish it came in satin finish. Not repurchasing, and once I find a dupe, I'm going to downgrade my rating to 2 lippies.
So far, I'm not fan-girling over MAC. I love their blushes, own a few, and I love the colors their lipsticks come in, but I'm not impressed with the lipstick formulas themselves, especially matte ones (I am open to trying their frosts and creme finishes though). I'm not a fan of their foundations either. I think the products are overpriced considering the very average quality.

on 5/15/2016 7:36:00 PM

My all time favourite matte shade from Mac!
It's a mid-toned peachy nude which on my fair skintone runs slightly on the pink side. It is a versatile colour which would look amazing will a full smokey eye look but also with simple day time looks!
Can't fault the colour and formula of this lipstick and have already completely used one up.
I will definitely repurchase.

on 3/23/2016 12:09:00 AM

I came upon this lipstick while putting together my bridal makeup look and now it is my #2 go to lipstick for all occasions (day and evening), after Clinique's tenderheart. It is a very pretty pinkish brown and very matte. Only issues with this include 1) not super creamy/smooth 2) comes off super fast/easily.

on 2/8/2016 3:44:00 PM

The only good things about this lipstick is color and packaging.

Looks awful on lips, does not last long, dries out and costs far too much. Drugstore dupes are so much better.