MAC Veluxe Pearl - Expensive Pink

MAC Veluxe Pearl - Expensive Pink

4.3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Gorgeous frosty golden melon color. 'Expensive Pink' looks great with green eyes, red lips, peach blush, pinks, golds. Wearing this on a naked eye will make any pale, green-eyed girl look as young and invigorated as a 14-year-old Russian gymnast from the neck up.

on 1/19/2009 3:00:00 AM

oh veluxe pearl eyeshadows -- if i had enough talent to write a love sonnet dedicated to how much i love all of you, i would. id even recite it while strumming a mandolin and wearing what craig ferguson referred to as shakespearean pantaloons during an interview with james mcavoy. the scottish charm was too much, i think i may have passed out from all the bantering, but im pretty sure shakespearean pantaloons were mentioned. but i digress from my love of veluxe pearl eyeshadows.

that being said, expensive pink is not my favorite of the bunch (that honor goes to all that glitters) simply because i dont find myself reaching for it too often. expensive pink, true to its name, is a neutral pink that has an undertone of a very warm gold that could almost be mistaken for a very, very light copper color (the undertone, not the eyeshadow itself, if that makes sense). as a result, it goes well with other eyeshadows with gold, copper, or bronze undertones (MAC woodwinked and bronze are two favorites), as well as with colors in the pink or plum categories. the texture is to die for, the staying power is wonderful. continued >>

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I wouldn't buy this product again because I'll probably never need to! This is a very pretty pink sheen that compliments a wide variety of skin tones, though I wouldn't recommend it for darker skin tones, since it won't show much. The MAC MUA said she uses "expensive pink" a lot on brides, and after using it I can see why. It's not a true pink, because it has a little bit of everything in it, which allows it to pick up on your natural skin hues to compliment them. You can wear it by itself or you can get really creative and go brown, bronze, or even charcoal with this color, depending on the look your going for. It's one of those multi-tasking colors that works great for the office/daytime but it can easily become sultry if you smoke it out for the evening.

on 10/26/2009 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

another ES which I have hit pan on a few times! This is not pink as the name implies.. it is a golden/pinky/bronzy shade which is fantastic on brown eyes, hazel eyes, green eyes and last but not least, blue eyes. In short, it is a great ES which works well with most eye colors.

I have applied this to women with dark complexions, with tan complexions, and to very light PPP's.

It is one of my staples for personal and client use.

love it and always have my back up on hand.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I would have never in a million years thought that I could wear this because of how garrish it looks in the pan! Other reviewers have described this perfectly: a cotton candy/melon pink with gold shimmer. I initally thought that I could have worn something like this when I was in my 20's, but it actually looks flattering and age appropriate on me paired with Star Violet in the crease and Scene in the outer V, lined with Print. It also looks great as one of the other reviewers stated, with Embark as a liner. Don't dismiss this color if it seems way too over the top because it's very flattering on.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love Expensive Pink, in fact, my sister is out right now buying a new one!

COLOR: medium peachy, copper-gold pink (it's multidimensional)
TEXTURE: it's a veluxe pearl so the formula is very smooth and applies wonderfully like my favorite eyeshadows (Lancome Color Design). Definitely not at all like some of the drier MAC shadows.
WEAR: it does last a fairly long time, but I do notice it starts to crease towards the very end of the day, but it's not too bad.

_____________________________________________________________

I'm medium tan (NC42) and this looks great on my skintone, even better in the summer.
How I use 'Expensive Pink':
(1) as an all-over lid shade for a natural look [on my summer skintone. It looks more intense in the winter and it would on lighter skintones]
(2) all over the lid with black blended in the outer corner for a more dramatic look that isn't too over the top. You could do this for a night out but it's definitely subtle enough for the day
(3) all over the lid with a dark brown shadow blended in the outer corner. This is a softer look than the one I mentioned above. This is a subtle smokey look that looks great on those with olive/warm undertones, light or dark. I love doing this to add some more definition when using this color.

_____________________________________________________________

This is a very beautiful, versatile shade that's easy to work with and would look good on just about every skin color from the lightest to the darkest! Mine shattered, which was unfortunate and odd since I have never had this happen with another MAC eyeshadow. I had to crush up the remaining with the back of a brush and apply it like a pigment - inconvenient but it worked well enough given the texture of this shadow. Will definitely continue to repurchase.

on 7/18/2010 5:26:00 AM

I think this is one of the most versatile eyeshadows from MAC that i own. I did an entire look with it as an eyeshadow, a highlight for the cheek (cause of the golden shimmer) and i dabbed it on top of my lipgloss for a nice pinky golden glow (looks kind of like sandy b lipstick actually).

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Expensive Pink is a medium salmon pink shade with a very noticeable golden duochrome. it is a truly unique eyeshadow! it has so much dimension and is just a 'glowing from within' kind of colour. i never often wear the same colours every day, but this one is definitely making me break my own rules.
thanks to it being a Veluxe Pearl, the pigmentation and consistency is a dream. for best results, i like to place this on my mobile lid, and also above, about half way to my brow. that way it lights up any crease colours that i put over it and has maximum impact. (i favour matte brows if anyone's interested) i also tried this over different eyeshadow bases, different browns, pinks and golds, but no, this to me, works best solo. it is just an untouchable colour! it got me some compliments as well!
for reference, i am fair mediterranean with brown eyes and brunette hair that is dyed a dark red colour. and this colour just fits me like a glove - but i really believe that this is universally flattering, though definitely test it out at MAC if you are unsure. if you are ordering online, filter the reviews for this colour to your skintone/hair/eye colour.
i am going to try this tomorrow with MAC Minted eye kohl in the waterline, as i think that will really nicely contrast with the pink and make it stand out even more.
this also really reminds me of 'All That Glitters' eyeshadow as well. if you just imagine the champagne colour in that, replaced with pink. then that's basically Expensive Pink! i swatched them both on my hand side by side and they both have that salmony gold finish. i uploaded a photo so you can see. hopefully it will help somehow!

on 4/6/2011 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I think this e/s should have been called Expensive CORAL because it is far more coral than pink. If NARS Orgasm or Benefit Coralista blush were to make an eyeshadow baby, this would be it. It is very high quality and very finely milled. There are tiny micro particles of gold that give this a golden duo-chrome effect. I love this shade in the summer. It is beautiful paired with gold eyeshadow with warm browns to darken the crease (like Embark). A definite must-have for MAC collectors!

on 1/24/2011 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Why do I continuously buy pink eye shadows? I know they make me look tired. I know they never suit me. I know they make me look like I have an eye infection. Expensive Pink is no exception (that rhymed!). However, for what it is, it is a nice color with good payoff. It just does not work with my skintone.