MAC Cedar Lipliner

MAC Cedar Lipliner

3.9

I got this lip pencil with the deep lip back from the Holiday collection 09. This color is described from MAC as a rich, rose-flushed brown, but in my opinion it's more like a rosy pink color. On my hand it's a reddish brown, but on my lips it's way more pink. I like it. It goes on really smooth onto my lips. And the pigmentation is awesome. I used this pencil about five times and the top is still sharp. It really goes a looooooong way. Great.

Cedar is not the name that should be used for this color. It's a rose pink that nearly matches my pigmented lips. It's a bit brighter but in a good way. This should be called rose or something, I cannot understand why Cedar (the color of brown wood) is used for this! MAC liners are my favorite of all liners and they go on smoothly, stay for hours and have a lot of color choices. I use this liner for my more natural/neutral pink lipsticks and glosses, it's a bit too dark and brownish for my brighter pinks. Fabulous color. My first favorite is Spice because I tend to wear more neutral beigey lipsticks but this is a close second for when I want a bit more color.

on 10/22/2007 9:39:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My one and only lipliner. And the only MAC product I buy (I have issues with them, but haven't found an alternative yet). Staple product. Perfect colour, without it being too over the top. I use it as an all over lip colour. Can be drying, hence I slather lip balm over it. Nice glossy finish after that.

on 12/13/2006 7:29:00 PM

I tried Cedar when I was finding Spice a little too orange for some lipsticks. I wanted something that was definitely my lips but better, and while the color description fits the bill (pinkish beige), it didn't work for me - the color payoff on my lips was very minimal. Thank goodness for Whirl. I can see Cedar working on so many, though, particularly those who find Spice too warm and heavy on the orange/peach. This is a beautiful shade, but it just didn't work for me.

on 8/31/2006 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've been buying a lot of mac products lately and this was one of them. I was looking for a liner that wasn't as muddy/lilac on me (NC20) as Whirl did, but not as brown as Spice turned out on me and Cedar is definitly more pink than Spice, and warmer than whirl. I need this since my farley small lips have a dull almost light lilac brown colour to them. Cedar is a great everyday shade for me and I can wear it with both more reddish lipsticks and more pink ones like Profusion from the amplified selection. I aften blend the liner and lipstick together and make the lipline somewhat "blurry", my mouth looks slightly bigger that way. What I don't like with Mac lipliners is that they tend to be a bit drying and they don't come on so evenly on the lip, I know they have a creamier version so next time I buy a liner I will try them instead. Also I find that I have to sharpen them a lot.

on 2/28/2007 11:24:00 PM

This is a fabulous and very natural liner that I can wear anytime I want a minimal makeup look. The shade is very close to my natural lip color, so it's great for outlining my lips to make them fuller, and then filling in and covering with a light gloss. The texture is perfect; it's not too waxy or too creamy, and it has good staying power. My everyday, go-to liner.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is my first MAC lipliner *blush.* My lips are a light pinky beige. On me, Cedar comes up as a reddish beige. I really don't care too much for the color-- more red and less beige, and not very flattering on me. However, it is the only lipliner I have tried that does not break me out with those pesky little pimples around my mouth. Also, the texture is perfect if I use a light lip balm before applying. Thank you for this, MAC. So, when I want to make my lips appear a little plumper, I just line them lightly in Cedar, blend, and swipe on a layer of nude lipstick or gloss. Last night I placed an order on MAC for Subculture, which will hopefully be more pink and less red.

on 3/13/2005 2:48:00 AM

Shade description

From MAC Website: Soft muted pinkish-beige

Me: The description on the MAC website is so inaccurate! :( I'll describe Cedar to be a medium pink with a very subtle dash of reddish-brown. I don't see any beige in this at all.

Comments

I'm truly falling in love with MAC's Lip Pencils. :) They don't break easily, and are so soft and easy to blend!

Cedar is a very beautiful shade, and I can imagine it suiting a very, very wide range of skintones. Wear it lightly for a neutral look, and layer more colour for a more defined lip look. I'll say this is great for both day and night.

Here's how I wear Cedar: what I like to do is to draw a thin lip across my top lip and lower lip. I'll then use a little clear gloss onto the center of my lips to melt, soften, and blend the colour onto the entire lip. Do try that out too!! :)

My coloring

Yellow-beige Chinese Asian NC35 with jet black hair and very dark brown eyes. continued >>

I was looking for something a little more natural than this, but I've made good use of Cedar, which is a reddish/pinkish YLBB (on the bright side) liner. I'm on my second one. MAC does not test on animals.

In my search for the perfect nude liner for a GGG with pigmented lips, I was suggested Cedar by an MA. After using it 3 time, this pencil literally sat in my traincase for months. It was far to red for even my pigmented lips and often gave the appearance that I was biting my lips all day. I liked the idea, just not for me and what I was looking to achieve.