Yves Saint Laurent Cinema

3.8

on 11/30/2016 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Classy...Sophisticated...A little bold and a whole lot confident.

To me, this can be a little heavy, so one spray from as far away as my arm can hold the bottle is plenty, and lasts all day for me. Not an everyday fragrance for me, but for special nights out, special events, fancy weddings, that sort of thing. This opens for me warm, I definitely detect the amber and the clementine, and a slight SLIGHT HINT of musk--if straining my nose.

On the opening, I do not find this to be sweet (which is a welcome change, as everything seems to be sweet anymore), just warm and inviting. On the dry down however I get a boatload of vanilla and sweetness, but still in a warm way. I wish the opening notes held on for more than the very short time that they do for me. But even the sweetness and vanilla is still warm and inviting. I think I read somewhere that this is like an expensive version of B&BW Warm Vanilla Sugar, and after the dry-down, I agree with that. But this has a classy feel to it, even on the sweet dry down. B&BW smells more generic, this smells more sophisticated. This is more of a grown/older woman's scent, imho.

I do like and appreciate that this is a timeless scent (to me), and not another overly sweet cloying fruity sugar bomb that seems to be everywhere these days. What I especially like about this is that it is warm, but not in the traditional warm-scented-fragrance way. Not overloaded with patchouli or musk like most warm fragrances. A soft warmth. In fact, ther eis no patchouli in this, and musk is way down in the notes, not even detectable itself, but cleverly blended with the other notes to provide the background subtle inviting warmth.

I enjoy this, and I can see the bottle lasting me a very long time, being I spray once, twice max, and only on special occasions. So I will have this a long time. Having said that, I doubt I would repurchase. This is nice enough and all, just does not totally 'wow' me and the sweetness is still so very prevalent once this dries down for me to repurchase this. But I will enjoy it on an occasional special event.

Cinema is very easy to wear and so versatile. When I want to smell good and not offend people then this is my go-to scent of choice. That is not to say it is boring - it isn't!

I feel a warm and fuzzy glow when I spray this little beauty on (5 spritzes is about right) and it is definitely a cooler weather scent. On a hot summer's day it might be too cloying.

I love the cyclamen and other florals that Jacques Cavalier mixes with mimosa, vanilla and benzoin to create a mellow/yellow kind of scent. It always makes me feel happy and cosseted, when I apply it to my skin and scarves.

This is one of the few perfumes I have replaced more than three times(Rive Gauche being the other.)

This is a solidly good perfume - basically I've been through 3 bottles of this, and at first I was as enamoured with it as some other reviewers here.

I found the blast of creamy orange and vanilla really comforting and sunny, and just delicious. It was exactly what I wanted - definitely sweet, but in a classy way, unlike Black Opium, Armani Si or bascially any other frgarance on the market at the moment.

The jasmine is smooth and not jarring in the drydown, and the almond and vanilla just add a beautiful, attractive, inoffensive and entirely elegant and warm finish to it. Really a very admirable fragrance. I wore it everyday for about a year, and grew a bit tired of it and complacent about how well it is done, although this has to do with me rather than the product itself.

Now I find myself buying another bottle after 6 months without it as I'm looking for its lovely sunny scent for my everyday/ work fragrance, and I spot a giant 90ml bottle for €50 . . . not too bad considering it will last me for at least 1 year if not 2! It is also something that men seem to like, and I would happily wear this on weekends too. It has enough depth and glamour and character to sustain itself outside of hours too - in a bar or on weekends. I cannot bear overly fresh/ cool/ shower gel-ish smelling scents . . . and this definitely doesn't smell like that. It does seem to melt into your skin, is noticeable at the end of the day, and is just gorgeous.

Definitely try it! I wore this in my early 20s and will continue to wear it. It seems pretty timeless, and I love that it's not necessarily 'fashionable' i.e. front and centre in shops, but it's not at ALL old ladyish . . . and frankly calling any fragrance that is shallow and ageist :)

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Tried Cinema by YSL on me today. This fragrance did not last long at all, it evaporated so quickly, it seemed to have lots of alcohol with such a small amount of scent that I couldn't quite decide what it was that I was smelling. I had hoped to at least be able to smell the almond and citrus in this.

on 11/25/2015 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I am mixed race and part indian. This to me smells like a glamourous indian wedding. If you can imagine what pearls, gold and flashy expensive diamonds would smell like, this is it. It isn't sweet in a stereotypical sense. It has a undertone of sweet vanilla, but it is not sickly sweet like a candy perfume - Prada candy. When I sprayed it I initially smelt a crisp citrus smell, not a sickly citrus but more crisp like the smell of store bought clementines. Call me crazy but I smelt a hint of baby powder in it too, sort of like how Chanel has a powdery vibe to their perfume. I smelt hints of almonds and some floral notes, particularly Jasmines.

This is quite mature scent, but any age over 18 can probably pull it off. It is very comforting, I was overwhelmed of memories of when I was a kid sleeping against my grandmother belly wrapped up within the loosely flowing fabric of her scarlet jewel embossed saree. It is in no sense a granny scent, but it sophisticated. I think she must of worn this when I was younger, as it comes to memory. She was a woman of much class, and would wear diamonds and gold. She had the curled hair, pearl clutch, diamonds - sort of classy vibe you see in the movies.

I think this is for special occasions and a night time scent. I would wear it more during the colder days just because it gave me that feeling of warmth and comfort.

on 5/19/2015 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I bought YSL Cinema as a blind buy after reading some favourable reviews online. I'm glad my gamble paid off because it is a gorgeous scent, and I'm a huge fan now. It's a deep, musky floral with a sweet, zesty undertone. It's a very glamorous scent, makes one think of old Hollywood screen sirens. It's mature, intense (but not too heavy) and lasts pretty well on the skin. I absolutely love the bottle, it's so elegant and decadent looking. Really glad I bought it, and would repurchase too if I ever ran out. A definite thumbs up from me.

on 11/1/2014 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

bought it couple of weeks ago not strong enough for me but love the woody smells doesn't last long

on 4/17/2014 8:16:00 AM

It took a while for this to grow on me. It wasn't at all what I expected after reading the fragrance description or the reviews. I don't get any real hints of vanilla from this scent. However, it is a nice, soft, comforting perfume. It is more of a wintery perfume for me. It reminds me a being warm and cozy under a blanket on a cold wintery day!! It is powdery and a little spicy to me.

on 3/18/2014 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Cinema eau de parfum is a lighthearted citrus vanilla-almond perfume. Clean, clear, translucent, and very slightly bitter from the yellow florals, but in the end, the amber benzoin base notes dominate with the almond blossom, leaving the wearer cocooned in a warm, sweet cloud. It feels like you are softly drenched in a feathery golden mist. It is surprisingly versatile and long-lasting, though after the first five minutes, I can not smell it on anymore. However, I know it is there because people are a little more friendly whenever I have it oneven hours after my initial application. Cinema is very well layered atop VS Amber Romance, which slants the perfume more toward a rich ambery gourmand oriental. As an aside, the faceted glass bottle looks like a skyscraper, so it was a great fragrance for my NYC internship last summer. Notes: clementine, almond blossom, amaryllis, cyclamen, jasmine, peony, white musk, amber, vanilla, benzoin.

on 12/28/2013 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Love it!! Cinema is a soft natural golden warm skin-scent that blends so nicely with natural scent -- becomes one with skin. Liquid golden warmth. Not too light, not too heavy -- I'd call it about medium on the oomph scale. More on the light side than heavy -- it does have some freshness.

Contains vanilla & amber, plus some almond, and light florals. Delicious. Soft, mild, smooth, & sensuous - yet tenacious - it lasts very well. Not sharp, not powdery.

Here are notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Clementine, Almond, Cyclamen
Heart Notes: Amaryllis, Jasmine sambac
Base Notes: Amber, Vanilla, White musk

I'd put YSL Cinema in the same general category as Armani Sensi, Lancome Poeme, Allure EDT, D&G The One -- in other words, a golden warm vanilla-based floral. So nice!

Popular Fragrances