Paul Mitchell Foaming Pommade

Paul Mitchell Foaming Pommade

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Disodium Cocamido MIPA Sulfosuccinate, Pentane, Amino Methyl Propanol, Polyquaternium 7, Dimethicone Bisamino Hydroxypropyl/Algae/Aloe Barbadensis/Chamomite, Henna, Jojoba, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary), Dimethicone Copolyol (Silica), Imidazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 8/14/2017 2:02:00 PM

I do not like this. It makes my hair very greasy and weighed-down, even when I use the tiniest amount. There's a lot of added shine, but it's a greasy shine. Doesn't look good. I've tried using this on damp hair, dry hair, it just doesn't work for me.

For reference my hair is thick, dry, wavy-textured, color-treated and I heat style it regularly. So it's important that I take care of it with the right products. I always use some type of leave-in, and this one wasn't a winner for me.

Wouldn't buy it again.

on 5/11/2017 12:09:00 PM

I have used this stuff for FOREVER. When my husband I met back in 2000, I found out he used this stuff and so did I... it was clearly meant to be. He's black, I'm white. We have two daughters. We haven't found a hair type that this stuff doesn't like... a small amount, dime-sized, rub between both hands and it foams up. A light hand, throughout your hair, gets rid of the frizzies and adds a glorious shine.

on 2/22/2015 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This product has become my go to. After having sat in my cabinet for goodness knows how long I decided to give it another try. Not sure why I stopped using it in the first place. I have 3b/3c/4b hair. Go figure! As stated in the previous reviews you can overload on it. A little goes a long way. I am transitioning. With that I'm just past 2 yrs. i don't wear my hair out and haven't used heat in over 15 yrs. so I would say that my hair is pretty healthy. The Natural Hair community would frown upon the mineral oil for very valid reasons. Bearing that in mind, I monitor usage but it just works so well it's hard to ignore it's benefits. My hair curls on the edges and the Pommade just makes them pop! I get so many compliments on my little curls. I'll continue to use but be mindful of how much and how often I use it. And yes for it to lather your hair must be damp/wet.

Update to my initial review- In researching Mineral Oil and it's effects I've found it to be rather enriching to the conditioning of hair. According to my findings there has been no scientific proof to the contrary. As such, I will continue using without limitation.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

To all those people that have trouble getting the product to foam: I was instructed by an SA that you have to add a little bit of water to it to help it emuslify. That said, I've used it both ways but definitely prefer it with a bit of water added, it just makes it easier to work through wet hair. My hair is dry and curly with a 3A/3B texture. I had trouble using this product because I would use too much and looked quite greasy and my hair was stiff, causing me to have to shampoo/condition my hair all over again. I don't like that the majority of this product is mineral oil. I could just dump baby oil on my head and get a similar effect. But, after adding a bit of water to very little product (maybe two drops), it's easier to eek out a manageable, not greasy, style. I like to use it on days when my hair is frizzy, bone dry and just washed - it's perfect as a setting lotion for pincurls!

The bottle has lasted me for YEARS using it this way (when I finally figured out how to use it and how little I needed) so I doubt I'd ever need to buy another. If I see it in the store again after running out (and it's on sale!), I might squint at it.

on 12/8/2012 11:32:00 AM

Hair: Other, Relaxed, Fine

This is a good, albeit expensive product. You really do need to know how to use this though. After dispensing a small (and I do mean small) amount of the product into your hands you need to rub your palms together well. If you wait a few seconds you will see that it does actually foam but it's not exactly very noticeable. You should apply the pomade to the ends only. I might apply a little of the excess on the rest of my hair. It gives a beautiful sheen to curls and is a lovely finishing product for flat ironed hair.

A bottle will last a long time too, I've had mine for18 months and there's plenty left. My only gripe with this is that it contains mineral oil.

Right off the bat I want to say it doesn't foam. I couldn't care less but why in the world do they call it foaming pomade?
I'm a guy with a lot of hair that is stick straight and baby fine. I know this is made for coarse hair, but I like it for when I want a high shine look. It has low hold so it's good for undone looks or a mad men style super groomed look.
I'm not wild about the smell, but it does what it does better than anything else I've tried and you can't beat the price. And I can totally see how this could be a HG item for coarse/ethnic hair.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

After shampooing, I wrap my relaxed hair using the Paul Mitchell foaming pommade with wrap strips. It doesn't foam, but it works well. It left my hair straight and smooth without drying it out.

on 3/10/2010 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is good for anyone who perms or colors their hair, as well as ladies with coarse hair. I'm a pale Irish chick, but my hair gets dry from blow-drying and I hate getting frizzies. This is a really good, moisturizing, smoothing polish for dry hair and for taming split ends. The key is not to overdo it - this does contain oils that can make hair look too oily if you aren't careful. The name is misleading because it doesn't really foam. Just don't expect it to foam and that won't bother you. :-) I bought this in a travel size and used it up. Now I am going to buy another bottle, because I don't want to be without it!

on 10/16/2009 9:42:00 PM

So far, this is really a wonderful product. I am amazed that it takes the frizz and dullness out of my hair, keeping it looking and feeling super soft and smooth. I was afraid that it might weigh my hair down and or cause it to feel crunchy, so I picked up the trial size bottle. I am SO GLAD that PM offers most of its products in travel sizes; try before you buy type deal. I really didn't expect much from this, but sometimes it's when you least expect a product to perform wonderfully, you pick up something that really surprises you. So far so good.

If this product foams like it claims, it has yet to do so for me. I bought a bottle the other day and took it back and exchanged it for another one since it wasn't foaming. I thought maybe I had bought an old bottle that was so out of date the products were deactivated. But no - the newer bottle doesn't foam, either. ???

That having been said, it still does a nice job of smoothing my hair and making it shiny. But does it texturize? Only the tiniest bit.

I would purchase again since it does a nice job of making my thick, color treated hair smooth and shiny. And the price is right (9 bucks).

Popular Styling Products