DERMAdoctor Picture Porefect Serum

DERMAdoctor Picture Porefect Serum

3.3

Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Glycolic Acid, Sodium Glycolate, Azelaic Acid, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Tartaric Acid, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tree) Leaf Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow Bark) Extract, Polysorbate 20, Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Glycine, Cyclopentasiloxane, Retinol, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Xanthan Gum, Acrylates Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7. 7/21/09

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This product is really poorly named. I wanted it because it is the least expensive, over the counter retinol product that has Azaelic Acid in it (which is really hard to get over the counter for a reasonable price it seems). This will work great to smooth any texture of your skin, with continued use. Since this is a retinol product you do have to be careful to slowly introduce it to your routine (I now use it daily, but it took me months to get to that point). it does have a slightly sticky feel after you apply, but as this product is used at night time it is not too much of a problem.

My only two complaints with this product is that it has a fairly strong licorice smell, which I am not a fan off. Though by the time you are done rubbing the product on your face the smell does dissipate. The other issue, is more of a problem, the packaging is no longer like in the image, it is in a more luxe glass like material bottle. But, the cap it comes with is shorter than how far the pump sticks up. This means that if push the cap all the way down (as their is no stopper for the cap) it will depress the pump and you will waste product.

on 8/17/2015 12:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is not prescription of course, despite the name Dermadoctor, and as an over-the-counter serum, it's formulated to be less potent than a drug you'd get from the pharmacy. However, it does contain, in smaller, non-prescription amounts, things that can help clear acne. It is a good exfoliant.

Retinol, which does stimulate cellular turnover and collagen production, is included, but this product is not as strong as something like Retin-A Micro. Picture Porefect also contains AHAs such as glycolic acid and lactic acid, which are chemical exfoliants that slough dead skin cells. Azelaic acid is present in a strength that is legal to include over-the-counter, which won't be the same dose you get from Finacea or Tazorac. All these ingredients can improve the look and health of acne-prone skin. To prevent irritation, the formula is tempered with some anti-irritants and antioxidants such as green tea and willow bark. Willow bark/salicylic acid/BHA has anti-inflammatory properties and can be used as an exfoliant in the right pH. My skin is very sensitive and I was able to use this successfully, however; I used it once daily instead of the recommended twice daily, and if your skin becomes red and inflamed I would certainly quit using strong serums until it's returned to normal.

I've been on lots of different topical medications for acne over the years from my teens to present. The most effective one was Accutane, which permanently shrinks large oil glands to a size that will still produce oil but not nearly as much. I do occasionally get a few zits, almost always hormonal, and then my skin will clear up in the next phase of my cycle. I've used Retin-A Micro, Finacea (azelaic acid), and antibiotic gels. Those were all prescription.

All in all, if you're not already taking prescription medication for acne, this is a great little serum for exfoliation. It does have a fruit acid smell due to the AHAs in the product, but nothing offensive. The texture is light, spreads easily, and absorbs well enough that I was able to use it under makeup.

I went through a bottle of this over several months, and I didn't immediately rush to get another because my doctor had given me a prescription for Finacea. However, I would buy Picture Porefect again when not under the care of a dermatologist. It did work well for me. In addition to this serum, I was also using a gentle face cleanser and skin-balancing toner from Paula's Choice. I also had, on standby, a bottle of Kate Somerville Anti-Bac which contains benzoyl peroxide, and I only spot-applied that if I saw a zit. If you don't like the results you get from this, I can recommend the 2% BHA gel from Paula's Choice that I'm using now for exfoliating.

Picture Porefect won't permanently shrink pores. It's not a miracle. It's not life-changing. It costs $42 an ounce.

If you're avoiding parabens, I should mention that this product contains parabens.

INGREDIENTS:

Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycolic Acid, Azelaic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Lactic Acid, Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Glycine, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Retinol, Malic Acid, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Citric Acid, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben.

on 11/17/2014 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this serum after it was recommended to me by a Sephora salesperson for my blackheads and large pores. I'm pretty disappointed because I love DERMAdoctor's Wrinkle Revenge products. This stuff SMELLS and doesn't really help my pores at all. I'm going to take a cue from another reviewer and maybe use it as an exfoliator/peel. I really wanted to love this product but the results just aren't there.

I got a generous tube sample from Sephora and looked it up on Beautypedia where it's listed as an AHA. So, I treated it as an exfoliant rather than something only to shrink pores, which I don't have much issue with anyway. I used it rather regularly over 2-3 weeks and feel it did have some exfoliation effect, possibly brightening up my skin just a tad. I have some sun damage that I am always trying to fade or at least even out my skin tone.

It didn't irritate or burn me and I didn't have any itching or peeling. It's a rather runny serum and I used it over my entire face. Didn't notice any effect on pores, but like I said, I don't have an issue there. The full size seems to be in a good air-tight pump so I gave it a good rating for packaging. While I'd be fine with purchasing a full-size based on its performance, the price does put me off at 40 USD per ounce. There are much cheaper AHA options out there that are equally effective.

on 4/27/2013 9:28:00 AM

disappointing product, doesn't do anything that it claims too, pore size not affected by it at all.

I used on my forehead, between my brows and on my nose. zero change.

For the price you'd expect even a small result.

on 9/30/2012 7:38:00 PM

I got a 10ml sample from Sephora, and I only used it on my nose, twice a day, and it lasted for months. Disappointingly, zero effect. The product promised instant as well as long-term results - I got neither. I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it.

on 7/31/2012 2:35:00 PM

I got this product as a 100 point perk from Sephora. While I am not a chemist, I suspect it works by vasodilation, since it warns against use if you are allergic to aspirin or products similar to aspirin. In that regard, I saw shrinkage of pore within 3 small-dose uses, which was pretty amazing. However, it is pricey, and the scent is rather gross--kind of like a bitter petroleum smell. For the price and the smell, I'd rather just work on taking care of my face with other products and using my mineral veil to cover pores, but if you can get it as a perk or sample, it would be a good deal.

on 5/12/2012 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This good for slowly shrinking pores through exfoliation and its unrealistic for reviewers to expect it to work instantly. I was noticing that the pores on my t zone were getting bigger with age so I wanted something to combat that and this is a preferred exfoliant on beautypedia. I have very dry sensitive skin and most AHA or BHA serums are too irritating and drying but this hasnt done either. After about a week, there was visible reduction in pore size. I only use at night so Im not picky about the texture, shine, and whether it works with makeup. Since this is so gentle on my skin it may not be the most effective for someone with very oily skin and/or blemishes but its worked very well with my sensitive skin. I appreciate that it contains potent anti-irritants and is fragrance free.

on 4/11/2011 9:33:00 PM

this expensive little product did nothing for my adult acne, oily skin, or enlarged pores. it's also fairly sticky in consistency, making it difficult to spread before it dries. perhaps it would work for a more moderate case of acne, but i sorta need the big guns. i gave it a 3 because it didn't worsen my problem.

on 4/16/2011 3:48:00 PM

The product did shrink by pores on the cheeks by a lot. They almost can't be seen now after only 2 weeks of slightly inconsistent use.
I only need a really small quantity put on every night and i think it help peel off the upper uneven layer of skin effectively. However I could not use it under makeup since it'd start flaking in 1, 2 hours.