The Body Shop White Musk Perfume Oil

The Body Shop White Musk Perfume Oil

4.3

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Parfum (Fragrance), Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde (Fragrance Ingredient), Hexyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone (Fragrance Ingredient), Hydroxycitronellal (Fragrance Ingredient), Coumarin (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Benzoate (Solvent), Isoeugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Benzyl Salicylate (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Evernia prunastri (Oakmoss Extract) (Natural Additive), Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Fragrance Ingredient), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Eugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Amyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Cinnamate (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Cinnamyl Alcohol (Fragrance Ingredient), Farnesol (Fragrance Ingredient), Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient).

I dabble in lots of oils but this has been with me since 1994! i have gone through more bottles of this than anything! other than TBS vanilla perfume oil,this is what i wear most of the time.It is very strong,so i never smell it directly,i apply it to my pulse points and add a bit to my hair when it's wet,after blowdrying it's smells wonderful.It lasts all day,without fail and just gets better throughout the hours.It smells very different than when it is first applied.I have had friends dab it on and say "what is this? ewww,this isn't how you smell!" but then after a few hours they are sniffing themselves saying "oh,i get it now!" i have always recieved compliments on this,especially when it lingers on pillows and such...it's a crisp,clean,sensual scent! the ONLY time i ever got a bad review on this was about 6 months ago when i had a date that went wrong and at the end of the night i asked why he had an issue with our chemistry being 'off' and he said that i smelled like his grandmother! i was angry,but had to laugh! he was a douchebag anyway and i kept my white musk and ditched him.MEN!!!

Do we really need another White Musk review? Probably not but you are getting one anyway. I detested this in my youth, probably because everyone wore either White Musk, Dewberry or Fuzzy Peach and every teenage disco reeked of a fruity musky melange mixed with various other hormonal teenage smells *shudder*. I, of course was difficult and a budding perfumista and wouldn't have been caught dead wearing something so 'common'.

Anyhoo, roll forward twenty years and I am given a mini White Musk set as a gift and low and behold I fall in love with the shower gel. I love the texture, the sudsiness and the subtle scent it leaves on my skin.

This experience led me to swapping for the perfume oil. While pleasant, it just does not capture my fancy quite as much as the shower gel. It has definitely been reformulated in the intervening decades (it no longer possesses the ability to suck all oxygen from the air within a six foot radius) and I believe that is a good thing. It just smells safe and tedious and I really should have trusted my initial juvenile impression.

Oh and what did I wear to the teenage discos? Paloma Picasso of course!!!

on 11/28/2011 12:43:00 PM

I adore this perfume oil. It's so much softer than the edt that makes me cough and smells too much like alcohol. This is a sexy, soft skin scent that everyone I know finds appealing. A little 15 ml bottle I've had for about 5 yeas is still going strong and you only need a tiny amount to make you smell divine. I love this and I would definately be buying again and again and again. I'm just very dissappointed that Body Shop decided to discontinue ALL perfume oils. They discontinued the lovely old vanilla perfume oil that I wore in my early teens and now the white musk that I've been wearing for 5 years. Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with the people at The Body Shop. Don't they want customers? Don't they want to make money? Then why are you discontinuing your best products? Perfume oils were the only reason that kept me going back to them, but no more.

Eyes: Violet

I sought out this perfume based on all the glorious reviews here. I had always loved natural oil scents because they contain fewer chemicals. I am migraine prone so this was the choice for me. I was in love with Alyssa Ashley's White musk oil and I was hoping this would be a replacement. Sadly this fragrance smells heavy and offensive to me. It's nothing like the light white musk oil from alyssa ashley. I had to wipe and wash the sample off my wrist simply because the scent was not tolerable. This scent is not soft feminine at all. It's sharp acrid and almost pungent in heaviness. best for mature demographic or those not sensitive to strong smell. Here is how the manufacturer described this fragrant oil:

It opens with notes of ylang-ylang, galbanum and basil, followed by the heart of jasmine, rose, musk and lily,and settling at the base dominated by musk along with jasmine, rose, iris, amber, patchouli, vetiver, peach, oakmoss and vanilla

those that do not like strong musky ambery may want to stay away from this. I get migraines from amber fragrant.

on 11/12/2013 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm wearing The Body Shop's White Musk oil now, and I've had my little clear round bottle for many years. I've always found it a little scratchy & sharp at first application (moreso than Jovan White Musk, which is softer start-to-finish). It's clean, fresh & crisp at first -- but after it has melded into skin, it becomes considerably softer & warmer -- very sensuous. It's strong -- you only need a small dab -- and it lasts and lasts.

I once smelled it on 2 other women, and I didn't recognize it as "white" musk on them -- I thought it was one of the more golden brown varieties, since it smelled warm -- but after asking, it turned out to be this one, and I was surprised.

I still remember those 2 whiffs -- one was from a young teen cashier at TJ Maxx -- and the other from a 20-something cashier at Lowes Foods. Both times, as I approached their registers, their wafts were pretty strong -- I could smell their musks from a couple feet away, as I approached -- they had a little scent cloud around them. But they both smelled *delicious* -- obviously wearing some sort of musk, but I would have guessed Coty Wild, Jovan, or something else on the ambery side, colored brown, since they smelled so warm and sensuous.

So I asked -- and they each said Body Shop White Musk -- and I was surprised in both cases to find out their musk was "white". It didn't smell crisp, sharp, or floral on them at all -- rather it was very smooth, warm, sensuous, cloudlike, and lovely. Because of its great strength & longevity, The Body Shop's White Musk oil is an excellent value, especially when they have BOGO sales on their website. Lots and lots of bang for your buck, without taking up a lot of space. A good any-time, any-occasion scent.

Launched in 1981, here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Basil, Galbanum, Musk, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes - Jasmine, Lily, Musk, Rose
Base Notes - Amber, Oakmoss, Iris, Musk, Patchouli, Peach, Vanilla, Vetiver

ADDENDUM 11/17/13: I just bought a new 1oz tall purple bottle of the perfume oil (BOGO on their site), and I like it better than my roughly 10-yr-old round clear bottle. While I said above that it was scratchy & harsh at first -- this new bottle isn't -- it's exactly the same scent but smoother and a little sweeter start-to-finish. Which is great -- I like my new bottle better. The flip side is that it doesn't last as long -- it's not as strong & concentrated as my old bottle, so I have to reapply more frequently -- but I don't mind that, since I enjoy the scent better. It's not all lightness & freshness -- it does have some earthiness about it also.

on 10/19/2005 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I must start out by saying I am a total fragrance snob. I use very expensive fragrances from L'artisan, Serge Lutens, Diptyque to Frederic Malle. And I must say that I just love, love, love the white musk oil. It is so sexy so beautiful. When I wear it I feel like I am floating on a big cloud. It is such a comforting, soft musk scent. My first fave is Clair Du Musc and this is a close second. Did I mention it is DIRT CHEAP and lasts on the skin. Every girl should own this wonderful scent. I discovered this scent about 9 years ago when I heard that Kate Moss and some other models love this. So I had to run out and try it. And loved it ever since. You just can't go wrong with this one.

on 4/26/2015 12:24:00 PM

I've been wearing the Body Shop White Musk line maybe since around grade 9. I love it and it's the only scent that makes me feel like myself. Around college I've switched briefly to Lanvin D'Asperge, the only other scent I've ever worn beside White Musk. Now in my house I only have those two. White Musk and D'Asperge. But for me White Musk almost always win. I hardly wear the Lanvin one - although it's also another beautiful smell.

The EDT version of White Musk doesn't last really long. EDP is better. I wear the deodorant as well.

My childhood bf told me, before we were together, he once roamed around the mall trying to find the scent that I wore. Still remember that till this day, bring smile to my face.

Whenever I haven't been myself, I usually wear this just to warm my heart. This line from the Body Shop, it has really become a part of me. Been wearing it for more than 10 years. Maybe reaching 15 years.

on 12/17/2014 5:29:00 AM

Once this oil has melted into your skin, it leaves behind the most soft, powdery, warm and feminine scent trail. It lasts all day on me (I have gotten compliments 6 hours into wearing it!) and is one of very few scents that hasn't been messed with throughout the years. I've been wearing it regularly year round for 26 years and it still smells sexy, warm and clean, in a non-perfumey way. People around me think 'something smells really nice in here', instead of: 'I like your perfume.'

When I wear it, I feel enveloped by its subtle warm powdery softness; it's my number one comfort scent. It's also perfect on days I want to make sure my scent does not overpower someone (dentist, doctor, long car ride, etc.). A little dab goes a long way, so I'm sure my newly purchased bottle will last for ages. Oh, and I prefer the newer purple bottle with the applicator to the smaller transparent one. The latter just feels a bit too 'teeny bopperish' for a grown woman. ;-)

I hope they'll never discontinue this intoxicating oil!

on 1/17/2012 3:44:00 PM

Thank you to MUA folks who reviewed the Serge Lutens Clair de Musc and compared it to this. I liked the Serge Lutens frag a lot, but as I noted in my review of it, I didn't really think it was unique enough to warrant the high price tag. I snagged a bottle of this new 1oz bottle off ebay for 20$, and it's great. The staying power is AMAZING, you need so little of it and it stays all day, unlike the serge lutens perfume that faded quick even after dowsing myself in it. I guess it's discontinued or being discontinued, so I will probably stock up on another bottle soon. I expect it to last a very long time though. I bought some decanting supplies and will transfer some of this to one of the roller ball bottles so I can keep it in my purse. Yay.

on 12/12/2006 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

How delicious! The scent is amazing and the bottle of oil lasts forever; I've had the stuff for several years now and it hasn't gone bad and I still have over half left. The staying power is very good too; I dab some on and even after bathing I can catch a whiff or two if my wrist is near my face. My BF has a cologne that smells a little musky and like this so sometimes I layer it with Marc Jacobs or Alabaster from Banana Republic. The scent is not very floral/traditional feminine, but it's gotten me a lot of compliments. Price is great; 15 bucks for a great perfume!! Just to warn you, if you smell the stuff out of the bottle you'll think it's horrible. I had my doubts but I dabbed a little on my wrist and loved it.

Popular Fragrances