MAC Cleanse Off Oil

No Image

4.3

Cetyl Ethylhexanoate,Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Squalane, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Germ Oil, Tocopherol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Water / Aqua / Eau, Rosa Canina (Rose) Fruit Oil, Limonene

• MAC  Cleanse Off Oil

$25.60

Buy now
    Wrong Product?

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I recently ran out of my holy grail cleanser (Clinique take the day of cleansing balm), and decided to try something new. And since I had a gift card to a place that sells MAC, I decided to go for this one. I prefer oil and balm cleansers over makeup wipes and micellar water, because I feel like they are way more gentle to skin and eyes. This comes with a pump, that has a twist function so you can close it. I would like it more if there was a cap on top, because it can easily twist itself and when traveling that would be a mess. Also i don't like the way it squirts the product out.

I pump a few pumps into my hands and massage it allover my face (and eyes). And this does take ALL of my makeup off! It also doesn't irritate my quite sensitive eyes at all. Smells fine. Wouldn't buy again, simply because I like the Clinique one better, but if you prefer oil cleansers this is really good!

on 5/20/2017 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I recently bought a CC cream that reached Holy Grail status for me but it came with a slight problem - my Lancome Bifacil AND Bioderma couldn't take it off completely (the cotton pads still had cc cream coming on it after the 3rd cleanse). I went into MAC and asked for the strongest makeup remover that they have, and was recommended this. I didn't have much hope, I mean if my HG make up remover Lancome Bifacil couldn't take it off what would? But I was so wrong.

I pumped two pumps into my hand and gently massaged the oil onto my face for a good minute. I then washed it off with water and my face didn't feel oily the way it does with other cleansing oils. I normally wear waterproof mascara and eyeshadow, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that this took all the eye make up off too without stinging my eyes (which the Bifacil/baby oil did). To be completely sure I saturated a cotton pad with some Bioderma and there was no cc cream left on the pad!

For years I've been buying two different types of make up remover for my eye make up and face make up and this does both!! I won't need to buy cotton pads anymore either and I like that using my fingers is enough for this because that is so much gentler for the skin! The only thing is at $37aud for 150ml this isn't exactly that cheap, but I read online that with daily use it lasts most people 6 months and I'm happy to pay a bit more for something that works so well (plus I won't need to buy anything else for make up removing!).

Make sure your hands and face are completely dry though - otherwise water activates the oil into that milky white water that makes it easy to wash off but probably does zero in terms of make up removal.

Tl;dr
Works great for both waterproof eye makeup and face makeup removal. Make sure your hands and face are not wet before use. Didn't sting or irritate eye/skin. No harsh scrubbing needed. Slight fragrance.

This is the only cleansing oil I've used so far that didn't make me break out or clog my pores. It's a good product. It has a very thin, liquidy consistency, removes makeup pretty well, doesn't leave a greasy residue. My mom also used it when I visited her- liked it a lot, and bought a bottle for herself. We would both repurchase.
Overall I prefer foaming cleansers, but I can use it as a first step in my cleansing routine.
Only con- I used up this oil very quickly.

on 3/27/2017 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I've bought cleansing oils from Shu Uemura, SKII, ReVive, La Mer, Josie Maran, Amore Pacific, Laneige, Clinique, Philosophy and cleansing oils from Target, this oil from MAC is very drying (over time).

It's very lightweight/runny and it'll get into your eyes, no matter how hard you close them. It will irritate and cloud your vision for a bit, even after rinsing well. Product rinses makeup and waterproof mascara away easily with a bit of circular rubbing, and seems to rinse clean. I didn't feel an oily residue. I have sensitive skin and don't like any cleansers with essential oils and fragrance in them. Over time, it irritates my skin.

I think you could find something comparable at drugstores.

on 7/15/2016 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I always look at makeup alley reviews before buying a product however I never left reviews. I discovered something while using this oil and I wanted to share it. My boyfriend got me the small cleanse off oil and I loved it. When I ran out I went ahead and bought a big bottle. When the weather changed my skin got really dry and flaky so one night out of frustration I used the cleanse off oil as a moisturiser. In the morning I was surprised to see a lot of my scars looked lighter and my skin looked more bright and not flaky anymore. I started using this more frequently as a moisturiser and my friends and family have been complimenting me on how good my skin looks. I used to have really bad blocked pores with little bumps like milia. After I started using this oil they cleared. I still get few pimples occasionally but they aren't as bad as before. If anyone else has had this experience I'd like to know.

on 6/7/2016 9:13:00 PM

I bought bc Tati raved over it.

It's pretty average. I used to use baby oil way back in the day and this works basically the same. It's runny like baby oil. And after using it to remove my eye makeup I can't see for like a good 15-20 mins .... Again just like baby oil.

I'll return to my ponds cold cream after using this up..

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I got back into researching ingredients for a DIY product I'm experimenting with and I randomly remembered my experience using MAC Cleanse Off Oil. Sure enough, I did not review it. I used this back when I was new to removing make up with oil. It does work a lot better than the oil-free make up remover formulas I bought from Sephora. But any oil can do that, baby oil included.

My problem with this oil is mainly the fragrance. I remember wincing everytime I'd wash my face because it'd somehow migrate into my eyes. IT STUNG LIKE HELL. I know the bitter orange peel in it stung, but I have a feeling the lavender oil was the main culprit. Lavender oil is a huge irritant for many, myself included. The wheat germ oil in this is listed on acne.org's comedogenic list so if you're acne prone, beware. I also know for me personally that tocopherol = massive break outs as it comes from vitamin e.

I've found much better formulated products for a fraction of the price. I will not be repurchasing. Here is the ingredient list:
Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Squalane, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Germ Oil, Tocopherol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Water, Rosa Canina (Rose) Fruit Oil, Limonene

on 5/4/2016 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Ok - so, some of the bad reviews I've read seem to be as a result of using this incorrectly. This works differenty than any other oil or cream-based eye makeup removers, etc. that you typically use with a cotton pad/ball/whatever to wipe the makeup off.

I LOVE this stuff, and this is how I use it:
Start with dry hands and dry face, pump some of this into your palm, and then rub it over your skin/eyes to break up and remove even waterproof mascaras/liners/etc. Once you have done that, THEN you use water to rinse it all off your face.

The thing about this product that makes it so great is that it is formulated to first work like an oil-cleanser to break down/remove even waterproof makeup formulas (fans of cleansing "balms" might really like this stuff too.) But, once water is applied, the oil suddenly transforms and rinses off clean just like a non-oil/balm cleanser would. So, this means that unlike traditional oil-based cleansers, you can rinse your skin clean (no layer of oil or residue left behind.)

My personal suggestions - to experience the awesomeness of this product, keep in mind a few things:

Use your fingers to rub it in and leave out the cotton pad/ball/whatever. And make sure you are using DRY fingers and face to start - if water is in the picture at all, it is going to transform into its rinse-able form - and, it's the original "oil" form that actually does the job of gathering up all that makeup that you are eventually going rinse right off.

Of course, this still won't be for everyone - but if you are a fan of using oil-based makeup removers and balms, this product gives you the benefits of what you are already using - PLUS, you get to just rinse it all clean off your skin like magic.

Additional "plus" points:
-the bottle lasts for quite a while
-I think (not 100% sure - you'd want to double check if this is something you want/require) - I THINK that the original formula is scent-free (at the very least it doesn't have a noticeable scent of any kind)... but, if you kind of dig the scented stuff like I do, they also make this "Twilight" version that smells quite nice. :)

on 5/3/2016 12:22:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

One of the few products I like from mac but it is far too expensive for full size so i buy the to go and get samples of this. Anyway it does remove makeup very well does not cause irritation nor does it burn the eyes like most removers and it has improved my undereye area it gave it a lil lift and I want the full size but not wanting to shell out the money for it but other than this the only Mac products ill buy from now on is the concealer in the small tube select cover up and captive lipstick and the orange corrector that is all because a lot of their products are not worth the money and lipsticks are being duped left n right so macs really aren't special anymore same ol colors kinda dated if you ask me...

on 4/6/2016 5:51:00 AM

I was so excited when I received this product, I had heard so many good reviews online and in store.
I used this with oval cotton pads and use very little and it took every bit of make up off which obviously I was amazed by. BUT it left a very greasy very weird residue on my face which i was half expecting because it was an oil. I washed this off with my Liz Earle cleanse and polish (used for years).
Went to bed and woke up with my skin looking the worst it had looked.. well ever!
I was mortified!!!
huge spots all over my forehead and my chin, red bumps all around the side of my cheeks.
It was so painful and the annoying part was I don't really have sensitive skin so I can pretty much use anything and everything without any irritation. but not this!

so disappointed since it really did remove everything!