Murad Acne Complex

Murad Acne Complex

2.3

Acne Complex® Introductory Kit Clarifying Cleanser Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid (1.5%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Methyl Gluceth-20, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Silver Citrate, Menthol, PEG-150 Distearate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch Octenylsuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 80, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Leaf Oil, Cymbopogon Nardus (Citronella) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Fragrance (Parfum) Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid (1.0%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat, Glycolic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Salicylic Acid, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Triclosan, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Zinc Sulfate, Linoleic Acid, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide Skin Perfecting Lotion Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Maleate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sorbitan Stearate, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Phytonadione, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Epilobium Angustifolium Extract, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Flour, Spiraea Ulmaria Extract, Honey Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Squalane, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Talc, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Glycolipids, Hyaluronic Acid, Panthenol, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Algae Extract, Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Propylene Glycol, Allantoin Sclerotium Gum, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA Clarifying Mask Active Ingredient: Sulfur (4.0%) Other Ingredients:Water (Aqua), Kaolin, Bentonite, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Polysorbate 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Zinc Oxide, Talc, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Salicylic Acid, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Allantoin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Camphor, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil Acne Spot Treatment Active Ingredient: Sulfur (3.0%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Glycolic Acid, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Sclerotium Gum, Zinc Oxide, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Ceteareth-20, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Salicylic Acid Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium, Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Allantoin, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Thank GOD I'm not the only one who absolutely hates this skincare system! I had previously been using the Mario Badescu acne system and though I liked it a lot (it was very gentle and smelled great except for the mask), it was doing absolutely nothing for my skin. I had a minor breakout at the time, and the MB wasn't doing anything to make it better, but also did nothing to make it worse. Back in January, I decided to get some Murad, as my friend who has severe cystic acne uses it and his face has cleared up a lot. So as you can imagine, I had some high hopes and expectations for this product. Within three days, the purging began, and my chin and one cheek were absolutely COVERED in zits. These weren't just run of the mill zits; these little suckers throbbed and ached like crazy, and if anything touched my face, the pain was excruciating. I was absolutely miserable, but as a long time user of acne systems, I knew that purging was normal and that it should clear up in a week or so. Hmmmm... Nope! The clear areas of my face were the only parts that looked better and healthier, that is, before the inevitable new crop of zits that I would get. Now, it's almost April, and though I'm still on the system in hopes of it clearing up, my other cheek is now host to about five unsightly zits, and my chin has completely cleared up, save for the scars that now line the right side of my chin and the pitted, yes, PITTED scars that the throbbers left behind. Although it has slightly helped, the Murad system has done me more harm than good. I'm going back to Proactiv, which has worked wonders for my skin. I guess Murad is successful to some people, and more power to them, but almost four months of little to no improvement in my skin has cemented in me the harsh opinion I have of it.

on 3/20/2015 11:22:00 AM

DO NOT BUY THIS. PLEASE. I have never had bad skin, just the odd annoying spot that is very painful. I had heard Dr Murad products were supposed to be amazing. After two days, I am completely housebound my face is COVERED in spots, it's so dry it's flaking off and it also burns like mad. It's so hard deciding whether to buy a product or not when there is mixed reviews, some people have said it's great and you always focus on the positive comments. But please, do not learn the hard way, don't waste your money...my face is in agony and I am so embarrassed to even leave the house :(

on 12/29/2014 7:00:00 PM

So I'm going to say this to start: apparently your skin doesn't purge, like so many reviews say. According to a doctor about the 'your skin goes through a purging phase when trying a new product': "According to Dr. Anne Chapas, this theory is false. 'The skin's job is to keep things out, not to release impurities from the body. That's why we have a liver and kidneysthey are the organs responsible for detox,' she explains."
I guess it has to do more with your skin's equilibrium being thrown off and trying to readjust.

Just thought I'd put that there.

That being said, I had a very negative reaction to this kit, too. I used it for a couple of days and it made my face red, sensitive, and very dry. It also made the acne I already had more inflamed and bright red. I sort of had a feeling that washing your face with that gel and immediately applying the toner seemed way too drying, but whatever. I developed red blotches on my face and it was so awful. I did not feel good after washing my face with those products. And like many others on here, I started developing acne in places where I never have before (for me, my cheeks). The stupid wash even broke my forehead out, and my forehead is usually very compatible with most face washes. And the spot treatment did absolutely nothing at all, just made the zits that I carefully applied it to angrier. I pitched the kit and I only regret the damage it did to my face. The only lucky thing was, is my sister bought it for me for my birthday so I at least didn't waste any money.

on 10/14/2014 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

After the skincare line that I had been previously using reformulated their products, my skin took a turn for the worse and I started to develop mild adult acne. I panicked and saw this kit at Sephora. I tried it without doing any research and I wish I never had. I had high hopes, but I had a bad reaction to the products and after a week of using it, developed more pimples in spots that were never a problem to me. I specifically developed about 30 whiteheads all around my nose, which was horrifying. I immediately stopped using it, and the whiteheads went away, but my other acne problems persisted. The only thing in this kit that was useable was the lotion, but it wasn't very moisturizing and had a "glue" smell, but is good as a primer for an oily T zone.

I really wanted this to work. I've tried Proactiv in the past and it maybe helps...a little. But my skin isn't horrible (just occasional really bad, long lasting acne sores) so I don't always need anything. After a review from a blogger I follow who LOVES this stuff, I went to my local Sephora and bought it.

Huge mistake. After 2 days of use, no results. After 3 days I had a horrible reaction. My face was on fire, itchy, burning and I developed new bumps....huge blackheads....I tried for one more day when my mother (who did not know I was using a new product) told me, kindly, that maybe I should take a trip to the doctor because my face looked so bad. I've stopped using it but my face is taking a long time to heal.

If you have sensitive skin at all, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! In fact I highly recommend you ONLY BUY THIS PRODUCT UNDER RECOMMENDATION FROM A DOCTOR. I wish I could turn back the last two weeks and not apply this product.

on 7/1/2014 8:17:00 PM

I was super excited to start this acne kit so that I can get rid of the few extra blemishes I did have. After one night of using this stuff, the next day I took a look in the mirror and all hell had broken lose. I had acne in places where I NEVER get acne. I mean like huge clusters of bumps that hurt so bad! I will be returning this kit. And I would warn you not to use this stuff. Now I'm on the hunt to find something to clear these blemishes..smh

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My mum bought this for me as I suffer with breakouts of hormonal cysts. 2 days in of only using once a day, my face is burning. I have tiny itchy pimples all over my face and painful small blisters around my nose. It has completely dried my skin out. I cant risk anymore irritation on my face and so will not be using any of the products again. I have never had a reaction to any products like this, I feel hideous and low. I just hope the reaction is short lived :(

on 11/17/2013 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I started seeing results within the first couple of days that I used this product. Almost all of my little whiteheads were gone and the cystic acne were shrinking. However, after the 5th day my skin started feeling really dry and itchy so I took a break from it, which I planned to do for a day. That was the last time I used it, it is now the 8th day. My skin is still very dry, it itches like crazy and feels like its on fire. If I look closely, my face has tiny bumps, almost like a rash and feels leathery. The skin under my eyes are very wrinkly and has a very "aged" look to it. I don't have pimples, but this reaction is way worse in my opinion. I just returned this today, and I will never try anything from Murad again. It's going to take so long to get my skin back to normal now, if it hasn't been permanently damaged.

on 9/22/2013 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

Returned after a week. My face felt taught and as you guessed: more breakouts... HUGE cystic acne. It's not worth paying $35 to leave more hyper-pigmentation and craters on my face. Ended up exchanging it for the coverFX powder foundation to help cover up my face. TOO DRYING, thus causing more breakouts. Should've listened to my esthetician (been a while who told me to use salicylic acid face wash maybe twice a week. Face wash AND a gel is too much... when your skin becomes dry = more breakouts. For now I'm using the Boscia Black Cleanser with the Clinique Acne Solutions toner (with Salicylic Acid), and so far the breakouts are drying up.

JUST DONT BOTHER!!!!!

on 5/23/2013 9:21:00 AM

(If I could give Murad 0 out of 5 I would)

Unfortunately I only read Murad's official website's reviews which gave this package an average rating of 4.6/5 stars. I naturally pounced at the idea of some miracle formula that everyone was "apparently" benefiting from.

My skin wasn't tooooo bad. not perfect, as I wanted/want it to be. But after using Murad...OHMYGOD. I wish I had read these reviews before to save me from EXTREME discomfort and a face that looks AGED=/ I've never had such a bad reaction!

After the fiirst night's use it seemed fine. I even thought my skin looked better. But after the second all hell broke lose. I noticed a little strange sensations after i put on all the creams (so many btw...and i tried to stick closely to their directions but even so it seems a little confusing given the amount of stuff you have to put on and over). The next day my eyes were super swollen and I think my whole face slightly puffier, my face was also red and the driest it has ever been. I had to buy anti histamines to calm the swelling and was told to not put anything on my face- including moisturisers and aloe vera (despite my skins cravings for something soothing).

Three days after this horror- my skin is still terrible. I actually have wrinkles under my eyes that I have never had before (I AM ONLY 22 !?!) , my eyes just generally now seem...weird? i dont know, like duller. and red all the time, and very noticeably dry. Even my liquid eyeliner is now flaking/fading off towards the end of the day due to my skins lack of any moisture, which it never did before.

I'm also getting new spots in places on my face I usually didn't. I had a few bumps on my forehead (small ones), which turned a lotttt bigger- thank friggen GOD i have a thick fringe.

I noticed a few very similar posts in regards to reactions. And i realise that some others may have had a really good experience with Murad (i dont know how=s?). But I would suggest new tryers of Murad think very very very carefully about venturing into it. I very very much regret it. i only had it on my face two times and now am spending more and more money trying to find things to now fix my WORSE OFF skin :(

Not too mention the starter kit was quite pricey in itself.

I would also really appreciate any advice or comments in regards to others like me, that maybe have managed to rectify their skin after using Murad?

*sighhhh* this is a lesson to be learnt from. Do more research!! And don't underestimate your skin's sensitivity >.<

Popular Face Skincare Products