Murad Acne Complex

Murad Acne Complex

2.3

Acne Complex® Introductory Kit Clarifying Cleanser Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid (1.5%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Methyl Gluceth-20, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Silver Citrate, Menthol, PEG-150 Distearate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch Octenylsuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 80, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Leaf Oil, Cymbopogon Nardus (Citronella) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Fragrance (Parfum) Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid (1.0%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat, Glycolic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Salicylic Acid, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Triclosan, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Zinc Sulfate, Linoleic Acid, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide Skin Perfecting Lotion Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Maleate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sorbitan Stearate, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Phytonadione, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Epilobium Angustifolium Extract, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Flour, Spiraea Ulmaria Extract, Honey Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Squalane, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Talc, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Glycolipids, Hyaluronic Acid, Panthenol, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Algae Extract, Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Propylene Glycol, Allantoin Sclerotium Gum, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA Clarifying Mask Active Ingredient: Sulfur (4.0%) Other Ingredients:Water (Aqua), Kaolin, Bentonite, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Polysorbate 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Zinc Oxide, Talc, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Salicylic Acid, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Allantoin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Camphor, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil Acne Spot Treatment Active Ingredient: Sulfur (3.0%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Glycolic Acid, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Sclerotium Gum, Zinc Oxide, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Ceteareth-20, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Salicylic Acid Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium, Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Allantoin, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 8/20/2004 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This kit consists of the Clarifying Cleanser, Clarifying Mask, Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel, Acne Spot Treatment, Skin Perfecting Lotion. I'm not sure what the others with similar names are - possibly different kits. ProActiv (and the drugstore clones) broke me out massively and immediately, with no signs of healing, even after weeks. So, I decided to try this one, after the commercial said it works well for people that are intolerant to benzoyl-peroxide-based formulas.

One by one, the products aren't impressive, and the Skin Perfecting Lotion stinks to high heaven, but after only a couple of days, my existing blemishes are healing nicely, including a helpless giant cystic pimple I had, which is basically healed to new skin. The mask left my the huge pores in my skin looking flatter, although it would be extremely drying to use too often. I will post an update in about a month, to see how it's working long-term, after the purging period has passed. In the meantime, my skin has a nice glow about it, even if everything isn't healed up yet. 11/19/04 Update: Well, nothing improved, I'm sorry to say. This kit seemed to work for me in fits and starts, with no consistent improvement. I was still breaking out as frequently as ever, despite adding the Murad Acne Vitamins to my repertoire. I'm now seeing very positive results with the Neutrogena Acne Therapy Kit, at a much lower cost to myself!11/30/04 Update: This kit flat out stopped working on me. Hate to say it, but after all that $$$ spent, Neutrogena's Acne Kit is far superior, with lasting results. So, for now, the Murad is shelved. It's gentler than the Neutrogena, but I broke out worse than ever WHILE using the Murad. So, nothing special, but I'll eventually use it up. continued >>

on 9/1/2004 2:05:00 PM

I have been using Murad's Acne Complex kit every day for 2 months now, and I have to say I don't see any difference in my skin AT ALL. My kit included the clarifying cleanser, exfoliating acne treatment gel, skin perfecting lotion & acne spot treatment - all for $60 for about 3-4 months worth of products. Morning & night I washed my face w/the clarifying cleanser, then when it was dry I used the exfoliating acne gel & skin perfecting lotion, and during the day I also used Murad's oil-free tinted sunblock spf 15. I used the acne spot treatment only on blemishes. The salicylic acid in the cleanser & exfoliating acne treatment gel is supposed to clear the skin while the skin perfecting lotion calms it. After 2 weeks of use, my skin looked great. But after a month of use (which was also when I was about to get my period), my skin broke out like crazy, with big painful pimples, which hadn't happened in years. Why would I use anti-acne products that cause acne??? I know they say sometimes the products bring the bacteria to the surface of the skin & you have to keep using them to really clear up your skin. So I did. But now, after 2 months of use, my combination skin which had some blackheads & a few pimples before I started using the Acne Complex kit is exactly the same as before. So I think this was a big waste of $$$. I will keep using these products 'til they're finished - I've only used about half the bottles after 2 months - and update you then.
Update: Definitely NOT worth the money. The products did nothing for my skin - it looks exactly as it did before. Maybe it would work for someone else? The only Murad product I still use is the oil-free tinted sunscreen SPF 15.

on 11/3/2004 7:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This didn't help nor hinder my breakouts.
It just didn' do anything...and I used it in the entire skincare acne program.
Proactiv is much better.
Some Neutrogena products are better in my opinion

on 11/19/2004 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Adult acne set in at 24 & has haunted me for 2 years. As a skincare freak, I tried everything on the market from Dermafina to Renova to acupuncture. Nothing completely cleared my face of the moderate everyday breakout of acne on my cheeks and chin until now! It took longer than most, 5 weeks of gruesome purging, but in the 6th & 7th week I am seeing clarity! The scarring from the acne is still there but slowly fading. Once the acne stops then I'll start the fading process. But I woke up this morning, looked in the mirror, and saw no NEW red bumps! I have sensitive skin so using all the products together twice a day is overdrying. So a esthetician helped me tweak the program and we are doing great! In the morning I use everything but the Exfoliating treatment gel & then I use that only every other night. Then I only use the acne spot on new blemishes. This has helped tramendously in reducing the overdrying. I am also taking the Clarifying Supplements to attack the acne inside and out! I am very pleased that I stuck with this product. I have bought it again and will continue to use it! *edit: after a few months it stopped working and didnt provide total clarity.*

on 1/2/2005 5:22:00 PM

This did nothing spectacular for my skin. It worked for a little while, then didn't do anything at all as far as clearing up blackheads and whiteheads. It was as if I were just using regular soap to cleanse my skin. The exfoliating gel doesn't exfoliate, and it smells like glue. The only thing that I half-way like is the lotion that comes with it, but I could only use that at night because it doesn't contain any spf. The acne spot treatment was decent, but I've spot treatments from Walmart that work just as good if not better than this one. Will not be repurchasing.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I don't even know where to begin reviewing this kit. My skin isn't TOO bad to begin with, large pores with blackheads on and around my nose, occasional to frequent whiteheads and cysts. The ladies at Sephora insisted this would be my cure. Boy were they wrong. I used the porducts as directed, and The first 3-4 days it really dried up the cysts and they disappeard, but then something terrible happened. My skin began flaking off and becoming very red. It wasn't very dry, just flaky and peely. I think after a month of use, it had clogged up my pores MORE then they were before. I haven't been getting cysts, probably due to the drying sulfur in the spot treatment, but that's all it does- peel and dry. It doesn't even begin to kill the bacteria which is the cause of zits in the first place. I have MORE blackheads and whiteheads than I have ever had in my life, and yes they are easier to cover up than the occasional cyst, but my skin just feel yucky and gross. Not only that, but it seems like my skin is having a hard time healing itself in spots where the blemishes had been. Just redness and more peeling in the place of the zit. I feel like my 21 year old skin is the worst it has ever been, even worse than when I was a pimply faced teenager. I think I would have had better luck rubbing MOTOR OIL on my skin. This is definitely going back to Sephora. Please ladies, let me be the last victim of the horrible "Dr. Murad"- DO NOT BUY THIS KIT, YOUR FACE AND WALLET WILL THANK YOU!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I wanted to wait a few months befor I wrote this review. I'm also going to update it at the end of summer too.

I started this at the beginning of December and it has really cleared my skin. EXCEPT for the one week of the month that my hormones go out of control; which I really didn't expect a topical treatment to control.
My scars are starting to fade and I'm having fewer and fewer breakouts as time goes on. The spot treatment burns when you first apply it but it usually goes away after 15 minutes to a half hour.

My skin isn't as oily as it used to be. However, it is still winter and the true test will be this summer. So I will update this review after August.

I highly recommend this to ppl who are sensitive to BP ( every other acne system that I've looked up has at least on BP component, if anyone finds otherwise please page me).

Well, it is starting to heat up around here and the Murad is still going strong, btw, I'm still on my first 60-day set so this stuff goes a long way.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This system was making my skin pretty clear while i was using it. i especially loved the skin perfecting lotion it moisturized without being all greasy and heavy. the acne spot treatment was just average-it didn't irritate my skin but it also didn't really make my zits dissapear quickly. overall a good product though, and worth a try!

on 5/4/2005 1:48:00 AM

The Murad acne system has gotten rid of my acne. I did not experience drying, redness or irritation, but I do only use the gel once a day at night. Acne will get worse for a couple weeks as the skin purges itself, but afterwards will look great.

on 5/11/2005 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I hated this product. I switched from Clinique ( which was irritating my skin) to this. I applied it sparingly and it seemed to work ok for a week, then I developed cyctic acne on my cheeks. I never had this problem before. The packaging is terrible also. I ent to Walmart and bought a package of 4 makeup containers for $1.50 that were way better quality than what Murad uses. Don't be fooled be the informercial, this stuff is terrible!

Popular Face Skincare Products