Murad Acne Complex©

Murad Acne Complex©

2.3

Acne Complex® Introductory Kit Clarifying Cleanser Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid (1.5%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Methyl Gluceth-20, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Silver Citrate, Menthol, PEG-150 Distearate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch Octenylsuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 80, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Leaf Oil, Cymbopogon Nardus (Citronella) Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Fragrance (Parfum) Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid (1.0%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat, Glycolic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Salicylic Acid, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Triclosan, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Zinc Sulfate, Linoleic Acid, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide Skin Perfecting Lotion Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Maleate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sorbitan Stearate, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Phytonadione, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Epilobium Angustifolium Extract, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Flour, Spiraea Ulmaria Extract, Honey Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Squalane, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Talc, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Glycolipids, Hyaluronic Acid, Panthenol, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Algae Extract, Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Propylene Glycol, Allantoin Sclerotium Gum, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA Clarifying Mask Active Ingredient: Sulfur (4.0%) Other Ingredients:Water (Aqua), Kaolin, Bentonite, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Polysorbate 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Zinc Oxide, Talc, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Salicylic Acid, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Allantoin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Camphor, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil Acne Spot Treatment Active Ingredient: Sulfur (3.0%) Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Glycolic Acid, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Sclerotium Gum, Zinc Oxide, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Ceteareth-20, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Salicylic Acid Lecithin, Tocopherol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyltrimonium, Amylopectin/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Allantoin, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought the murad acne starter kit from sephora for black friday because it was such a good deal. I don't have severe acne, I just breakout a couple times a month on my cheeks and the pimpled leave marks that last like a month longer. I have slightly oily skin. I hate having a single pimple because I feel like it's all anyone notices when they look at me. So far, I've been using it for two weeks. The tubes were a lot smaller than i thought they would be, but the tubes were good at xontrolling how much came out. I started using the cleanser and acne clearing solution when I started breaking out before my period and then used the mask at the end of the week. The cleanser made my face feel cool and refreshed, and wasn't overly drying. Im currently moisturizing using aveeno cream because its winter and my face gets dry patches in some areas. The acne clearing lotion doesn't sting, and it helps minimize the look of pimples overnight. The mask was my favorite, although the sulfur smells bad, I could really feel it cleansing out my pores. It left my skin less red and soft. I only used a little on my cheeks where I break out the most. The oil mattifying cream is okay, it is kind of just matte sunscreen and I don't want to use it all up. It is a bit too thick of consistency. Overall, my skin is looking pretty clear although there are one or two pimples. I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of the marks though. I would definitely buy this kit again if I could get it for such a good price again, but its quite pricey so I might not buy it at full price.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Thank GOD I'm not the only one who absolutely hates this skincare system! I had previously been using the Mario Badescu acne system and though I liked it a lot (it was very gentle and smelled great except for the mask), it was doing absolutely nothing for my skin. I had a minor breakout at the time, and the MB wasn't doing anything to make it better, but also did nothing to make it worse. Back in January, I decided to get some Murad, as my friend who has severe cystic acne uses it and his face has cleared up a lot. So as you can imagine, I had some high hopes and expectations for this product. Within three days, the purging began, and my chin and one cheek were absolutely COVERED in zits. These weren't just run of the mill zits; these little suckers throbbed and ached like crazy, and if anything touched my face, the pain was excruciating. I was absolutely miserable, but as a long time user of acne systems, I knew that purging was normal and that it should clear up in a week or so. Hmmmm... Nope! The clear areas of my face were the only parts that looked better and healthier, that is, before the inevitable new crop of zits that I would get. Now, it's almost April, and though I'm still on the system in hopes of it clearing up, my other cheek is now host to about five unsightly zits, and my chin has completely cleared up, save for the scars that now line the right side of my chin and the pitted, yes, PITTED scars that the throbbers left behind. Although it has slightly helped, the Murad system has done me more harm than good. I'm going back to Proactiv, which has worked wonders for my skin. I guess Murad is successful to some people, and more power to them, but almost four months of little to no improvement in my skin has cemented in me the harsh opinion I have of it.

To Read all 260 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/20/2015 11:22:00 AM

DO NOT BUY THIS. PLEASE. I have never had bad skin, just the odd annoying spot that is very painful. I had heard Dr Murad products were supposed to be amazing. After two days, I am completely housebound my face is COVERED in spots, it's so dry it's flaking off and it also burns like mad. It's so hard deciding whether to buy a product or not when there is mixed reviews, some people have said it's great and you always focus on the positive comments. But please, do not learn the hard way, don't waste your money...my face is in agony and I am so embarrassed to even leave the house :(

on 12/29/2014 7:00:00 PM

So I'm going to say this to start: apparently your skin doesn't purge, like so many reviews say. According to a doctor about the 'your skin goes through a purging phase when trying a new product': "According to Dr. Anne Chapas, this theory is false. 'The skin's job is to keep things out, not to release impurities from the body. That's why we have a liver and kidneysthey are the organs responsible for detox,' she explains."
I guess it has to do more with your skin's equilibrium being thrown off and trying to readjust.

Just thought I'd put that there.

That being said, I had a very negative reaction to this kit, too. I used it for a couple of days and it made my face red, sensitive, and very dry. It also made the acne I already had more inflamed and bright red. I sort of had a feeling that washing your face with that gel and immediately applying the toner seemed way too drying, but whatever. I developed red blotches on my face and it was so awful. I did not feel good after washing my face with those products. And like many others on here, I started developing acne in places where I never have before (for me, my cheeks). The stupid wash even broke my forehead out, and my forehead is usually very compatible with most face washes. And the spot treatment did absolutely nothing at all, just made the zits that I carefully applied it to angrier. I pitched the kit and I only regret the damage it did to my face. The only lucky thing was, is my sister bought it for me for my birthday so I at least didn't waste any money.

on 10/14/2014 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

After the skincare line that I had been previously using reformulated their products, my skin took a turn for the worse and I started to develop mild adult acne. I panicked and saw this kit at Sephora. I tried it without doing any research and I wish I never had. I had high hopes, but I had a bad reaction to the products and after a week of using it, developed more pimples in spots that were never a problem to me. I specifically developed about 30 whiteheads all around my nose, which was horrifying. I immediately stopped using it, and the whiteheads went away, but my other acne problems persisted. The only thing in this kit that was useable was the lotion, but it wasn't very moisturizing and had a "glue" smell, but is good as a primer for an oily T zone.

I love this stuff,I had a sample and it cleared up all my acne in only 3 days! I bought the full bottle and I love it! The first day I used it I noticed a big difference the day after,most of my acne was cleared up!

I really wanted this to work. I've tried Proactiv in the past and it maybe helps...a little. But my skin isn't horrible (just occasional really bad, long lasting acne sores) so I don't always need anything. After a review from a blogger I follow who LOVES this stuff, I went to my local Sephora and bought it.

Huge mistake. After 2 days of use, no results. After 3 days I had a horrible reaction. My face was on fire, itchy, burning and I developed new bumps....huge blackheads....I tried for one more day when my mother (who did not know I was using a new product) told me, kindly, that maybe I should take a trip to the doctor because my face looked so bad. I've stopped using it but my face is taking a long time to heal.

If you have sensitive skin at all, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! In fact I highly recommend you ONLY BUY THIS PRODUCT UNDER RECOMMENDATION FROM A DOCTOR. I wish I could turn back the last two weeks and not apply this product.

on 7/15/2014 9:22:00 PM

Let me start off by saying that I used to have pretty bad acne, which became worse in my late teens/early twenties (now 26). With that said I have tried my fair share of acne treatments from OTC, TV infomercials (Proactive and Murad), and prescriptions such as Differin and finally Acutane. I remember using Murad and I couldn't recall why I stopped using it, other than I had super acne that just wouldn't die...honestly all the treatments became a blur. It wasn't until I saw an Endocrinologist (who put me on a specific type of birth control), and a dermatologist that perscribed me Acutane that my skin finally seemed to calm down. I think age helped too, I still have hormonal breakouts...which brings me to my review and why I decided to try Murad again.

I recently had a bad hormonal breakout and bought the Murad Acne Complex Starter Kit at my local BX, which includes the: clarifying cleanser, acne clearing system, spot treatment, and oil control mattifying SPF 15. I also purchased another Murad kit which included the exfoliating serum and sulfur mask. The first day of using it was okay, the cleanser felt tingly and refreshing. I then did one of the treatments (products labeled 2), and the lotion. The next day I noticed my acne was drying up a little, yay! That was short-lived, by the end of the day into the next day I had some more pimples appear. I understand when you start a new treatment that will happen. I've seen and read enough to know that a treatment will sometimes bring baby pimples not yet seen to the naked eye to the surface, what many people call "purging". What I didn't understand is why my face felt so dry and itchy! Luckily it didn't look half as dry as it felt, I guess you could call that lucky. It just continued to get worse the next day, so that night I used a different cleanser and lotion...and even put a wet towel on my face to relieve the pain and drank lots of water. The next day my face felt much better, still dry but at least my face didn't feel like it had been attacked by sandpaper!

I am remembering why I did not continue with Murad, it is just too harsh for me. I know my skin is not super sensitive, I've tried prescription medications such as Acutane and Differin gel (and also OTC persa gel) but they never caused that kind of reaction. They did make my skin a little dry in the beginning, but not painfully dry as with Murad. Since I was using the kit, it is kind of hard to pin point it on one specific product. If I had to guess the main culprit I'd say either the clarifying cleanser or the exfoliating serum. I don't think the lotion is all that great either, obviously didn't help with the dryness. I also don't like it when acne products put SPF in their lotion, but this lotion at least is not oily like some SPF products can be.

The reason I rated it a three is because I think the kit has potential to be used individually and I do like the mask. Using them altogether may just be too much! It also seems like a lot of people have had success with Murad, so I don't want to discourage against the product completely...just be cautious! I recommend purchasing the starter kit like I did if you really want to try it, they are sample sizes and will run around $30 for the whole kit vs. spending $30 on just one of their regular size products; which could go to waste if you feel it's not right for you.

on 7/1/2014 8:17:00 PM

I was super excited to start this acne kit so that I can get rid of the few extra blemishes I did have. After one night of using this stuff, the next day I took a look in the mirror and all hell had broken lose. I had acne in places where I NEVER get acne. I mean like huge clusters of bumps that hurt so bad! I will be returning this kit. And I would warn you not to use this stuff. Now I'm on the hunt to find something to clear these blemishes..smh

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Ive been using this for years and am clear. It took about two months to clear my skin completly. BEWARE THOUGH theres a new murad acne complex that contains Benzoyl Peroxide known to cause chemical burns and severe eye swelling allergic reactions. Too bad because i loved the old kit.

STILL USING THIS. *****11/21/2014*******

Love Murad. I am still using it DAILY IN THE A.M. AND P.M. only because it works for me, that's why I don't stray from it.

Just for your info, I also added an antibiotic topical toner called clindamycin to my murad and Vanicream moisturizing night cream for the winter weather.

Popular Face Skincare Products