Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.1

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 9/29/2016 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I thought nothing would ever budge my hyperpigmentation. It's a combination of sun damage and melasma that used to be so light that I honestly never really noticed it. If I squint super hard while looking at old photos taken up close in just the right lighting, I can see the outline of what would eventually become these dark spots. An ill advised BBL session brought them out in full force. Perhaps having more BBL would have eventually lifted the pigment away. But 3 dermatologists warned me that any more light treatments might make it darker and harder to treat. So I went the topical route, but it was waylaid by the fact that I got pregnant and then breastfed for 5 months and couldn't use a lot of ingredients during that entire time.

I went from having skin that others would describe as peaches and cream to having a spotted freckled face. I can't tell you how sad this made me. It destroyed my self confidence and consumed my thoughts. My entire appearance changed for the worse in the span of a week and it was impossible to come to terms with. What I saw in my reflection was not me. Not to mention I was dealing with full on adult acne from coming off the pill. So I had brown spots all over and every kind of acne you can imagine. I was spotted and lumpy. I couldn't decide if I hated the acne or the discoloration more. Age spots have been shown to visually add more years to your face than wrinkles, and I'm proof of that. I spent 1.5+ years avoiding mirrors and cameras. The spots were always so visible in photos!! There's only a handful of photos of me with my first born up to age 8 months bc I was still dealing with very dark pigmentation and I truly hated every photo I saw of myself.

I read so much about melasma and tried all the things that are supposed to help it. Finacea, Tazorac, vitamin C, hydroquinone, lactic acid peels, Mandelic peels, TCA 15%, B3, etc.

I avoided glycolic bc I'd had bad experiences when I was younger of it breaking me out, and everything I read said stuff like lactic acid was better for hyperpigmentation.

I'm not sure what inspired me to order and try MUAC 30% glycolic, but I did. And oh my god. After one 4 min peel, the spots were lighter. I could not believe my eyes. I've done 4 peels since then, about 5-7 days apart, and things keep getting lighter.

Maybe this would not have worked as well if I had not stripped my skin down with all that other stuff I've been trying since Feb 2016. I don't know. All I can tell you is that stuff diff not budge these spots one bit. This stuff did.

They are not gone by any means but I'll keep using this at least once a week and tell you how it's going. They are light enough at this point that I let someone take a photo of me and my son up close the other day. And I did not hate the photo.

This is also helping me clear up some really problematic pores, closed comedones that just would not go away. This is helping to get them gone, in conjunction with Paula's Choice BHA liquid and Taz gel.

2 months ago I pre paid for a mini melanage peel, and I plan to do it in early Nov. I am hopeful that will really get rid of all the spots for good and give me a clean slate going forward. But even though I'm doing a big guns peel, I 100% plan to keep using this peel for upkeep at least once a month, forever.

Praise the powers that be, there is hope for stubborn sun and melasma spots. Give this stuff a try. Use it weekly for a long time before you give up on it. It might just surprise you one day.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've been using MUAC peels for 17 months now and I will never be without them. This is a review for the MUAC peels I have tried, and I've put the review here because I am currently using the 30% glycolic. I had a *horrible* bout of acne a few years ago (read my review on Epiduo if you want to know the gory details) and undoubtedly, these at-home chemical peels helped me recover and get even better skin than before. I'm in my 30's and my skin is better than it was in my 20's- smoother, more even toned, less congested, fewer hormonal cysts during ovulation and PMS. I don't think my skin has improved at all in elasticity, but that's aging for you and superficial peels cannot touch skin structural issues. I've found the peels great at targeting pigmentation, surface textural issues and acne without the risk of serious side effects. So many benefits at a very low cost and time commitment, which is why I will never be without these peels again.

I started slowly with a sample size of the 25% Mandelic. I did a peel every week (sometimes every two weeks) and the bottle lasted months. My acne started resolving and I got brighter skin in general. I was amazed when the Mandelic peel seemed to stop active acne in its tracks-- it's like the bumps would retreat!! Then, I moved on to the sample size of the 40% Lactic Acid, which went to work on genetic hyperpigmentation (asian freckles, like Lucy Liu) and sunspots I've had since my 20's. This sample lasted for months with weekly use. At one point, I realized that both brown and reddish colored marks on my face had faded drastically. I'm not entirely sure why because it is intermediate between mandelic and glycolic in terms of how well it penetrates the skin, but the only peel that has given me tiny abrasions/chemical burns post-peel has been the Lactic.

After I finished the Lactic acid sample, I moved onto the 30% Glycolic acid. By this time, after a year of the peels, I no longer need to wear foundation because the scars from my bout of acne have completely faded (I mostly had PIH) and my skin is even toned. I have noticed that the tiny capillaries around my nose have either gotten slightly worse or perhaps the rest of my skin has gotten so even that my reddish caps are more prominent in contrast! The coarseness of texture/enlarged pores under my eyes and next to my nose from aging also looks much better. When I got about a month and half into my glycolic acid peel regime (about three months before today), I stopped getting the hormonal PMS cyst (or two) on my chin that I was still getting with the lactic. If you have icepick acne scarring, I'd definitely work up to and try the glycolic acid-- I had one such pitted scar on my cheek, from a pimple I got years back. While the mandelic or lactic never improved it, the glycolic has made it shallower and markedly less noticeable! Amazing!

To echo what others have said, it's true that lactic acid is better for hyperpigmentation issues and glycolic is better for treating/preventing acne. The glycolic seems to be the only one that improves more severe scarring and it's been the best at keeping my most congested pores clean, however... be careful with this one-- even though I'd been using peels for a good year before I started it, I could only tolerate leaving it on for 30 seconds at first. It felt like the tingling you get after you snap a rubber band onto your skin. After about two 30-second peels, my skin got acclimated and now I can leave it on for 7-10 minutes. Let me tell you, the day after my first 7 minute glycolic peel, the stubborn pores on my nose were completely cleared of their dark colored gunk.

Try these peels! Follow the directions to a T, stop retinoids 48 hours before each peel, wait 24 hours to resume retinoids, start at the lowest %, least penetrative acid, and you might just end up with the best skin of your life!

PS try using Cerave PM after the peels-- I wake up with baby-butt-face: so supple and plump, not a flake in sight. ;)

on 4/27/2013 2:36:00 AM

My experience with this peel-- I used it yesterday and it was the first time I ever used a home peel!
I was very very nervous to try it but I was also excited because I wanted to see how my face would like after.
I also bought the Lactic Acid 40% peel.

Yesterday morning I did patch tests (on both of my cheekbones where usually I have dry skin) with both of the peels to use how do they feel like and if I would have a red dinosaur or so on my face.
At first I noticed that the Glycolic peel burned a bit.
I left both peels as they say in the Instructions.

In the evening, I've seen that everything was fine so I was thinking to try the Glycolic...I just didn't have anymore patience to wait until today.

I washed my face, wiped my face with the Ph solution, put the Glycolic acid on my fingers, put it on my skin and then I put my phone cronom. on 30 sec.
After 30 sec. I was fine (bit stinging but nothing serious, I could handle it) and I waited until 1 minute.
I quickly washed my face with a lot of water.
I pat my skin with fresh, clean towel.

I let my skin free for 3 hours and before going to bed I put Macadamia Oil (my new love) and went to bed.

What I noticed after the peel: my face was a bit pink, taught, no weird sensation that would worry me, dewy, and few small pimples were already on my forehead (these little pimples have been there for few weeks already but I just let them sit there), my nose was a bit oily and a bit dry on the nose wings (nothing serious).
The dry patches that I had on my forehead, cheeks and cheeksbones are smoother.

Now, in the morning, my skin is softer, it is not dry or red or burned. My small pimples on my forehead are still there but you don't really see them unless you touch my skin and you feel some bumps. No problem. Maybe it was just the acid that took them out and I am happy about it. My skin has a clear tone. My pores a bit smaller (nothing major).

I can't wait for the next peel!

My skin is used to Retin A, Azelaic acid, AHA and BHA and other stuffs. I have combination skin, acne marks on my chin, very clog prone and from time to time I have pimples. Sensitive. Dry patches on my forehead and cheeks from Retin A that I used few months ago.

Caution:
- do a patch test and wait 24 hr (I waited 9 hrs but this is just me being impatient and my face used to other acids but you never know how your skin may react)
- don't let the peel on the skin longer that it is writen in the Instructions
- take care of your skin after peel- don't use harsh products, no scrubs or acids for the next 2 days ( again you never know how your skin may react so don't take the chance).

I hoped this helped someone who is thinking to have a first time home peel.

I will update when I will have my next peel.

EDIT- I used this peel 3 times in total. The advantages: my skin is clearer, my pores are smallar and they are not blocked as they used to be. My scars are fading.
Disadvantages: my skin is very dry and peeling (I had dry skin prior to suing this peel but it wasn't that bad as it is now). So use with caution is you have dry skin, it will make it drier.
My scars are fading but nothing major but still it is OK.
I can see an overall improvement and I will continue to use it but I will make sure to pamper my dry skin areas.

EDIT 30.08.2013. Updated to 5 stars.
I used it yesterday for 5 mins. It still stings a bit but nothing major. After I washed it off my skin was a bit pink and quite sensitive even when I washed with clean water. Again, nothing major.
Results next morning: skin very smooth, pores veeery small, very old scars are getting less visible, I had 2 cysts lurking for a week and nothing helped (not even my beloved Skinoren!!) and now they are light purple and not so bumpy and angry.
I love this peel and I will continue using it!!

EDIT: 01.06.2014
I have been using this peel once a month because my skin has been dry in the winter months and I didn't want to stress it. It still leave my skin soft for few days, my pores look smaller and cleaner. It leaves my face dewy. I still have to use my Macadamia oil because I have dry cheeks but I like this peel a lot and I will continue to use it once a month.

on 10/20/2012 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Helps smooth out skin but didn't help with hyperpigmentation. My skin tolerated the 30% very well so I would do this every 5 days and leave it on for 10-12 mins. I finished the bottle but wasn't satisfied with the results. Now moving on to the 50%

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I started using MUAC 30% Glycolic Acid peels after a life-time of disappointment in acne treatment.

I've used dozens of skin care lines, OCM, Retin-A in cream and gel form, internal suppliments, professional facials (sometimes with peels), anti-biotics, and sulphur masks.

[Mini Rant/Word to the wise: Research your actives before plunking down an obscene amount of money for a product. If a ingredient is not in the INCI, then it's likely marketing maurading around in a lab coat. Also, I don't trust research that isn't peer reviewed, or is sponsored by the company hawking the product.]

My skin before I started using the peel:

Oily
Active acne that wouldn't budge. I've had some of these spots for YEARS.
Lots of scars
Sallow complexion
Lots of huge pores

I started using the peel once a week, each week adding a minute until I hit the max reccomended time.

I've been using this peel now for about 8 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic improvement. The first couple of weeks I still had active acne, but my complexion looked almost dewy and I noticed a few shallow lines start to disappear.

By week 3 a noticable decrease in active acne was noted, and my pores had started to become less noticable.

Week 8 was during my cycle and instead of the vicious breakout that signals the start of my period, I only had THREE! count them THREE! smallish pimples that cleared up in a couple of days. I'm so happy I could tap dance!

Sometimes I will be a teeny bit pink and tender the day after I peel, but nothing serious. I also have not experienced any visable peeling (which I wasn't expecting since this particular peel at this strength is considered a chemical exfoliation and not a true skin peel).

This week I did my first TCA 12.5% peel, and I'm waiting for the peeling to finish before I can gauge if there is any initial improvement.

On top of that I've changed my daily routine to:

AM: Skin Actives: Salicylic wash (very gentle) Vitamin C in the AM, UNT tinted sunscreen
PM: Skin Actives Salicylic wash, and "Let's Make Collegen" serum

I still have damage to repair, but my active acne has slowed down to a couple of minor pimples per month and clear up quickly, and the fine lines I was starting to see are slowly vanishing. I can live with that!

A word of caution. I've seen a lot of folks on the internet saying they started bang out the gate with 50% Glycolic or 30% TCA with no former peel experince, and seemingly very little knowlege about the chemistry of their skin, the mechanism of what they are doing, or why a chemical peel is able to do what it does.

Please do your research.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and a current chem student, which gives me a bit of a unique perspective. When done properly, there is no reason why anyone (who's skin condition is suitable for this treatment) can't benefit from doing a home chemical peel.

Do a skin test prior to any unknown peel type (this includes changing brands), or change in strength. If I have a bad reaction to XYZ peel type/brand at 8%; I can't imagine what it would be at 18%.

Increase the strength of your peels SLOWLY, and be sure to use sunscreen every single day - whether you leave the house or not.

on 1/22/2012 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

After always reading reviews before to make any cosmetic purchase I feel I do have to let others know about my experience. I am just saying that because is my first time making a product review and I hope it will help anybody on making the decision on getting the product or no. I am on my lates 20'. I do suffer from ocassional acne, which is good for me after what I had to go through when I was 23, my face was full of blemishes that left my face with scars. I do not count with the money to have expensives treatment that may or may not work on me, however after reading the reviews for this chemical peels I decided to give it a try and so far so good. I am on my forth week, I did the test pach the morning I got the peel, which was very fast shipping! And the same night after not getting any skin reaction I applied it all over my face for a minute and half. It sting just a little and I neutralize it with just water. The day after I did not see much of a difference just I notice my face was a little more moisture. The second week I left the peel for four minutes and the next day same result. On the third week I left it for six minutes, I applied a lot more of the peel, next day my skin was glowing, my discolorations seems to be less noticeable because concealer make them almos gone. I am very positive that by the eight week this percentage of glycolic will make my skin look more even. I will update. When I finish with it I want to go for the lactic acid 55% to finally see what happen with the tca 12.5%. If you want to ask me I am going with it just let me know.

on 3/21/2011 7:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Glycolic Peel is the best for treating mild to moderate acne, rejuvenating skin and reducing under eye circles!!
I had been going through a stressful time and a messy sleeping schedule due to which I got mild acne on my cheeks! it started about 6 months back after which i decided to get it treated...i consulted a dermatologist and she recommended that i should get about 6-8 sessions of this peel! though here it says that it's a home kit but i was really skeptical to purchase and use it myself since it was the first time i ever heard of a chemical peel! Which is why i decided to get it treated and it wasn't that costly! I am done with 5 sessions (have one more to go)... this peel is awesome! not only does it give you fresh youthful glow but also treats acne and acne scars very well....the pimples are gone and now i am left with few scars! I would strongly recommend everyone to go for this instead of a facial at a salon/spa! And also under the supervision of a dermatologist! usually what they do is increase the concentration each passing session....they start off with 5% and go on till 30% or 50% depending on the skin!

on 10/25/2010 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hi...This is more of a warning to others than a review...I have oily, acne prone skin and it's not very sensitive...Ive used this about 5 times with no problem upto 10 minutes..Been using Retin A for the past 2 weeks and didnt even think to check on interaction...Well I used it again and this time, got a few nice burns....So warning to any other dummies out there, if youve recently introduced retin a, dont use this, at least not for 10 minutes. I didnt even feel the burning until afterwards... The retin A thins your skin I guess, which I should have known, Ive been on accutane twice...but again didnt even realize....so just keep that in mind!
Also as a side note, I didnt get all the wonderful benefits others have gotten from this...My skin is really stubborn acne prone skin and dont know what will work on it :(

I love this peel. I did my second one (one each week) and so far am pleased with the results. I followed the directions exactly on the packaging. Your kit comes with the peel, prep, and green tea soap. The first treatment I did I only did the 30 seconds as recommended and it stung very little and barely left a pink tone to my skin. The following week I left it on for 1 full minute and had the same results, slight warmth and very faint pinkness that went away in about an hour. The first thing I noticed was my skintone already looks more even (less ruddiness). I have a TON of clogged pores on my chin (has been like that since I was little) and I've noticed some patches of clarity. I've had a couple of small breakouts near my cheeks but they cleared up as quickly as they came (litterly the next day the bump was gone leaving only a red spot and then the following day the redness was gone too). The green tea soap is WONDERFUL! It leaves my skin feeling tight but not flaky. On my next purchase I'm going to buy a bar on it's own. Since I've been using my peel my makeup has also been going on much smoother. I think a lot of it has to do with skin being less ruddy that my makeup just looks better since I don't have to apply quite as much. I'm anxious to do longer treatments and bump up to a 40 or 50% treatment but I am determined to be patient and use the treatments as they are intended so I don't have to worry about damaging my skin, so I will finish my 30% peel and then move up to the next percentage. ETA: I just had to add. My son, who is 7 years old developed some pimples along his hairline (really angry looking ones too!). Last night I brushed back his bangs (which I think are the source of the problem!) and took a warm cloth with a little bit of the green tea soap and wipe along his brow. LITERALLY the next day the pimples are almost ALL gone! I kid you not! I wish I took a before/after shot! I am buying a full sized bar of this soap ASAP!

I got the sample size and it worked really well for the first month. On my fifth time using it, I accidently put on too much in certain spot, and i got burned. my skin got brown (like it was sunburned) and then peeled over the next three days on the spot when i was burned by the acid. Due to that bad experience, i stopped using the peel. For future users, please be careful of burning your skin.