Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Filtered by hair type : Other
Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.8

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 2/15/2014 9:28:00 AM

This was the next strongest in the MUAC products for me after the Fade Peel, the 25%, The Triple Enzyme. As always I followed the directions to the letter - use a mild cleanser, never apply to irritated skin, do a patch test first, use as directed. I use a washcloth to remove surface oils and apply the PH Prep, which I have just learned is Witchhazel, allowed it to dry, did not rinse off.

I used a timer for this because 30% is a lot for me (sensitive skin) and I am a big chicken when it comes to applying acids to my skin! I did a patch test and waited for the "tingle" but there really was not any discomfort - maybe because I've been off strong cleansers ever since I started using these products - there's really no need for them anymore unless I want to give my skin a quick little treat.

I started at 30 seconds and then slowly progressed to 10 minutes with very little discomfort. My skin was slightly pink and sensitive afterwards and within a few hours I started to notice how soft and clean - read deep down clean - my skin felt. So now the 30% is a weekly treatment for me. I'm not sure if I need anything stronger at this point. This journey for me worked best with weekly applications of peel left on 1 minute longer each time.

It took several months for ALL of my pores to get clear. It's gross, but it must be said - my skin was so clogged from years of gunk that I could never get completely out that I really believe my skin went into some sort of shock and I broke out a bit first before my skin responded and the pores just became more amd more clear each week - especially the pores on my nose. I check my skin every day and night in a magnifying mirror (called the mirror of truth) to see what's going on and I am thrilled to report that I believe I got everything out. I truly believe that I will be foundation optional within the first half of this year. I am overjoyed.

on 5/26/2013 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Just to give you a bit of info on my skin. I have vitiligo, moderate acne (thanks to a hormonal IUD), sun spots. I'm also an obsessive skin picker, so that moderate acne looks swollen, red, and scabby all the time. I hate my skin to a point I sometimes hide at home because my skin is just that bad.
My cheeks are GLOWING and soft and gorgeous.
So, i left it on for about 4 minutes. I washed my face with Aveeno Positively Radiant Brigtening Cleanser (I think it's important to use a gentle cleanser before any peel). Then I applied rubbing alcohol to my face (and no I don't recommend doing this normally, I just wanted to remove all oils from my face). Then I used the included PH prep (which is just witch hazel, don't repurchase this, not worth it), allowed it to air dry completely. I applied a thin layer (really, the peel itself is so watery you can't apply a very thick layer anyway) of the peel on my face. It stung more than the lactic acid peel, but nothing scary. What did make me nervous was how red parts of my face got, but this went away about an hour once I'd removed the peel. I left it on for about four minutes, then rinsed it off with only water and an included honey and oatmeal soap sample they included.
I love this, it's already an HG for me.
UPDATE: Still loving this. Acne hyperpigmentation is a thing of the past, and if I feel a pimple growing under my skin, I just use this peel, seems to fix it.
UPDATE #2: This is AMAZING for BACK ACNE and scarring! Like AMAZEBALLS. I've suffered from cystic back acne (long story) for about three years now, I thought I was condemned to a life of sleeves and no tube tops... NOPE. Put this on my back (for 12 mins, since I figured skin there is tougher), same process as above... I'm getting COMPLIMENTS from coworkers, my husband, etc, about how my back has cleared up in about three week's time. I literally feel NO new pimples growing under my skin. This is an official all around HG for me.
UPDATE #3: SKIN SAVER, but to give more details... this peel takes time. I'll compare if with the lactic acid peel as I used both of these most often. The lactic acid peel gives you a more immediate difference, but it did little for my acne and acne hyperpigmentation, and overall, after a while, my skin stopped improving and the acne came back with a vengeance. Not so with the glycolic peel; even though it doesn't give you such strong "glowiness" immediately post peel as with the lactic acid, your skin keeps improving for weeks, and it doesn't burn your skin. As I write this, my face that started with about 36 strong acne hyperpigmentation marks and a plethora of other pimples, I now have two acne marks, and just one tiny forehead pimple, and my last peel was three weeks ago. I don't have to "keep up" with the constant peels to feel the effects of this acid, so, I overall recommend this one more. For sun spots though, the lactic acid is better.

I've been using this for only about 3 weeks now, so I'll have to come back and update if anything changes, but so far I'm extremely satisfied. It's really not too expensive considering how powerful the product is, especially when you compare it to cost of going to a salon or doctor for a peel. I got the 1 oz. size, and I've used maybe 1/8 so far - I would estimate there are about 20 uses in a 1 oz. kit. It came with a little bar of green tea soap, which I like (except for the soapy smell) - it's gentle and cleans thoroughly.

My experience so far has been that it takes almost a week for my skin to completely recover and start really improving in appearance. The first few days after I do a peel, it looks worse than it did before - splotchy, dull, pale, oily in the morning, red spots very prominent - so I wouldn't recommend doing this less than a week before a big date or event of some kind. My skin tends to be oily anyways, so it doesn't get too flaky.

After about 5 days, it starts looking better every day: my pores are much less noticeable; the texture of my skin is much smoother; redness is isolated to a few small, stubborn spots; and my skin looks bright and glowing. No breakouts yet (FYI, I'm also on Solodyn to prevent acne). I can't wait to see how this will continue to improve my skin.

on 2/2/2010 9:13:00 AM

I am on my 5th week of this peel and I use it along with MUAC's Gly-Luronic serum (anyone with cystic acne needs to try this). I have brand new skin!!!! I had tried the Lactic Acid 40% first and it was nice, but I didn't notice any results that addressed my skin concerns. I am 35 and have suffered with cystic acne since I was a teenager. I am also sensitive so most acne treatments make me flake or are just too harsh. Now that I am older, I am getting some fine lines and sun damage is starting to show a bit.

When I was about 19 I had such a bad outbreak of cystic acne, that I have some medium pock scars on the left side of my face. Compared to my right, my left side had a very bad texture. And once I started to get older, the damage seemed to show up more. I was very depressed about it.

So this is where the peel comes in WOW!!!!!! I see about 60 percent improvement inthe icepick scar. In fact, some days I will look in the mirror and think I am wearing foundation and I'm not! But everything is so even and such a good texture, that I can get away with just wearing sunscreen and a little powder. The really fine lines are gone and the deeper ones are softening up. I do still get a couple of break outs but they are different. Instead of really deep cystic pimples that last for months. They are just normal pimples that dry up in a couple of days (which is FINE compared to what I usually have to deal with). The first week I did have a couple of massive cysts which could have been just brought to the surface by the glycolic acid or could have been developing for months and it was just their time. So be ready, Because you are not going to be clear the first week. But what I did notice was the skin around the break out was glowing and glood and better textured.

I do this peel one a week. I stopped using the prep solution, because I found I didn't really need it. I found that if you exfoliate before using something like Clinique seven day scrub or Origins Modern Friction, youll get a much deeper peel with a more dramatic result. I do notice that my skin is quite sensitive (the sensitivity has increased with the number of peels. the first one i didnt notice much at all) and I have to protect it more with sunscreen and moisture but I have never flaked with this.

My skin care routine is this:

Morning:

Origins Platindote Cleanser (great for sensitive skin but doesnt remove MU)
MUAC Gly-Luronic Serum (exfoliates and gives a glow under makup. My skin is getting sensitive so I use it every other day now)
Origins Platindote Serum (calms reddness and gives moisture)
Clinque City Block SPF 45

Night:
MAC Cleanse-Off oil (takes off all my makeup and sunscreen. doesnt break me out)
Origins Plantidote Toner (very calming)
Orignins Starting Over Oil- Free with Mimosa (night creme for lines)

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Very good once-a-week exfoliation product. I always use at night and leave on the full 12 minutes with no problem at all. Stings for the few minute or so, but then it is fine. I bought the sample size and finished that, and now I am using the sample size of the 40 percent. I do get a little more oily than usual for a day or two after, but it keeps my skin glowing. The price is outstanding. I think it is an amazing product for maintaining fresh, young-looking skin in between tca peels. :)

on 10/24/2009 5:18:00 PM

good for oily skin, stronger than the 40% lactic- i liked it. i use it now once a month. cleans out my pores .

on 2/19/2009 9:59:00 PM

I actually went straight to the 50% glycolic when I saw that the website carried concentrations as high as 70%. My skin is pretty tolerant and I do not feel any stinging unless I happen to get some into an open pimple.
I am not sure if it is making a tremendous difference. Sometimes it seems that my skin is smoother, sometime ???? I am giving it 4 lippies since all the research shows glycolic acids to be very effective. My only peeve - they give you equal size bottles of Ph Prep sol'n and the acid but you have to use twice as much prep since you have to apply it before AND after the glycolic so end up with an empty prep and 1/3 of the bottle of glycolic. Can you buy te Ph Prep separately?

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Wow, this is surprisingly effective! I was unsure when ordering, but I've been pleased with the results. I started out doing a peel every week, now I sometimes lag to every other week. But my skin looks so much smoother and more even toned when I do this. It helps with clogged pores, rough skin texture, fine lines to an extent as well. It is a good value as opposed to having this done at a day spa or the like.