Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.1

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 5/12/2015 4:49:00 PM

this is my first review ever! through being a massive lover of makeup alley and finding this product on here i decided to buy a few MUAC products.
I'm 22 and have had acne for 2 years and its progressively got worse, I've never suffered with acne through my teen years my skin was beautiful now it is a complete mess, i have active acne ALWAYS and the scarring on my face is ridiuclus. i have spots on my cheeks that have been there for YEARS! NO JOKE.
i bought this peel and the tca so hopefully il be able to use that in the coming months once my skin gets used to this,
I've only used this once and the results already are ridiculously good. my face overall is so shiny ( i have dry skin so wow ) the spots i have have decreased massively and the scars i had on my cheeks along with the acne are literally starting to disappear already.
I've only used it once so maybe this review is premature but wow.
I've heard only good things about muac I'm so excited to use the rest of their line ( it cost me 50 to be delivered and customs to uk ) I've tried absolutely everything there is to try trust me, the amount of products i have is silly.
so excited to carry on this peel I'm guna make it a weekly thing!
I've only give it a 4/5 just because I've only used it once so I'm sure il be back with the results in a few weeks ! :)

on 5/26/2013 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Just to give you a bit of info on my skin. I have vitiligo, moderate acne (thanks to a hormonal IUD), sun spots. I'm also an obsessive skin picker, so that moderate acne looks swollen, red, and scabby all the time. I hate my skin to a point I sometimes hide at home because my skin is just that bad.
My cheeks are GLOWING and soft and gorgeous.
So, i left it on for about 4 minutes. I washed my face with Aveeno Positively Radiant Brigtening Cleanser (I think it's important to use a gentle cleanser before any peel). Then I applied rubbing alcohol to my face (and no I don't recommend doing this normally, I just wanted to remove all oils from my face). Then I used the included PH prep (which is just witch hazel, don't repurchase this, not worth it), allowed it to air dry completely. I applied a thin layer (really, the peel itself is so watery you can't apply a very thick layer anyway) of the peel on my face. It stung more than the lactic acid peel, but nothing scary. What did make me nervous was how red parts of my face got, but this went away about an hour once I'd removed the peel. I left it on for about four minutes, then rinsed it off with only water and an included honey and oatmeal soap sample they included.
I love this, it's already an HG for me.
UPDATE: Still loving this. Acne hyperpigmentation is a thing of the past, and if I feel a pimple growing under my skin, I just use this peel, seems to fix it.
UPDATE #2: This is AMAZING for BACK ACNE and scarring! Like AMAZEBALLS. I've suffered from cystic back acne (long story) for about three years now, I thought I was condemned to a life of sleeves and no tube tops... NOPE. Put this on my back (for 12 mins, since I figured skin there is tougher), same process as above... I'm getting COMPLIMENTS from coworkers, my husband, etc, about how my back has cleared up in about three week's time. I literally feel NO new pimples growing under my skin. This is an official all around HG for me.
UPDATE #3: SKIN SAVER, but to give more details... this peel takes time. I'll compare if with the lactic acid peel as I used both of these most often. The lactic acid peel gives you a more immediate difference, but it did little for my acne and acne hyperpigmentation, and overall, after a while, my skin stopped improving and the acne came back with a vengeance. Not so with the glycolic peel; even though it doesn't give you such strong "glowiness" immediately post peel as with the lactic acid, your skin keeps improving for weeks, and it doesn't burn your skin. As I write this, my face that started with about 36 strong acne hyperpigmentation marks and a plethora of other pimples, I now have two acne marks, and just one tiny forehead pimple, and my last peel was three weeks ago. I don't have to "keep up" with the constant peels to feel the effects of this acid, so, I overall recommend this one more. For sun spots though, the lactic acid is better.

on 4/2/2012 5:27:00 PM

After having this done in a salon as a birthday treat to myself last year I went online looking for more information and found the at home peel. After reading all of the reviews I decided to give it a shot. I'm on week 5 and decided to write this review after a slight reaction. Weeks 1-4 were fine and I usually went a minute or two longer. The tingling is what I'd call a cool stinging sensation and not painful. I just fan myself with a magazine for a little cool air. About day 2 after each application my skin starts to 'purge' (nothing major just some blemishes) but then clears up within a day leaving my skin feeling nice and I think it looks 'fresher'. Week 5 I got brave and went right from 8 minutes to 12. 2 days go by and I wake up with little bumps scattered across my cheeks and forehead. They were so small you couldn't even see them unless you were staring at my face 2 inches away (which I made my husband do). They did not itch and were not red or painful, I just learned my lesson, skipped this week and will resume at the 8 minute mark next week. Will withhold final Overall Rating until I'm done with sample size.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

During my high school years, I totally suffered from deep, underground, cystic acne. It made my life a living hell. Well, not really, but I was SO embarassed of it! The trials and tribulations of suffering with acne in high school is absolutely the main reason why I am so obsessed with makeup and skincare today. Well, high school came and went, and so did my acne... but I was left with not-so-even, blotchy skin with all different kinds of scars. I have ALWAYS had to wear foundation. I mean, I won't even get the mail without putting on "my face". It sucks!

I personally do not have the money to spend to go to a doctor to get professional glycolic peels and laser treatments. So I searched up and down for something that would help fade the scars and get rid of the blotchiness. I've even accepted the fact that I'll probably never NOT wear makeup at all, but I would LOVE to get away with just a tinted moisturizer!
When I found the MUAC site, I was STOKED. All these amazing products, and for so cheap! I bought a 2oz size of the 30% glycolic peel kit.

Let me start by saying that you do NOT want to leave this stuff on longer than it's directed. My friends and I got a little too tipsy one "peel party" night and she DEMANDED to leave it on for 30 minutes instead of the normal 10 we usually do. Well, her face freaked out and she had little red bumps all over for like a week. She never did it again.

If you follow the directions, make sure your skin is absolutely clean and dry before you use it, and use the proper products after, then this stuff CAN and WILL make a difference!

My pores appear so much smaller, the blotchiness has faded by a LOt, I have virtually ZERO freckles, the fine lines around my mouth from smiling are gone, and little by little it has totally helped to smoothen out even the deeper scars on my face. I don't even really notice them when I look in the mirror anymore. (I've done about 10-12 peels over the course of a year.) I'm totally happy and I plan to keep on using this for a long time. It won't melt your face off with one use, so don't expect it to get rid of ice pick scars overnight. You might not even really peel that much. I don't, but I attribute that to the fact that I have pretty oily skin still. If I do peel, it's generally like 2 days after the treatment, and it's about the same as having flaky dry skin for a day. During that time, you DO NOT want to pick at it. That's like, bringing you back to ground zero. Don't use anything abrasive on your face, let it fall off naturally. When I do the peel, I do it when I won't have to apply makeup for at least a few hours.

A little note, I started with the 30% peel, and have been at that level for this past year. I still feel the tingly burning so I know it's working, but I'm thinking pretty soon I'll jump it up to the next level and see if that does anything dramatic.

All in all, this stuff is amazing. It definitely doesn't smell all that great, but it works, and I'm really loving the results over time. Especially for the price! I still have half a bottle and my friends tap into it whenever they can get their grimy hands on it. I'm thinking maybe I should start charging, ha!

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE BEFORE/AFTER PICS PLEEEEEEEEASE LET ME SEE! I took some but then I lost my phone before I backed it up, so I lost all my pics. I'd love to hear from you pretty girls ! <3 Thanks and good luck!

on 10/25/2010 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hi...This is more of a warning to others than a review...I have oily, acne prone skin and it's not very sensitive...Ive used this about 5 times with no problem upto 10 minutes..Been using Retin A for the past 2 weeks and didnt even think to check on interaction...Well I used it again and this time, got a few nice burns....So warning to any other dummies out there, if youve recently introduced retin a, dont use this, at least not for 10 minutes. I didnt even feel the burning until afterwards... The retin A thins your skin I guess, which I should have known, Ive been on accutane twice...but again didnt even realize....so just keep that in mind!
Also as a side note, I didnt get all the wonderful benefits others have gotten from this...My skin is really stubborn acne prone skin and dont know what will work on it :(

on 2/2/2010 9:13:00 AM

I am on my 5th week of this peel and I use it along with MUAC's Gly-Luronic serum (anyone with cystic acne needs to try this). I have brand new skin!!!! I had tried the Lactic Acid 40% first and it was nice, but I didn't notice any results that addressed my skin concerns. I am 35 and have suffered with cystic acne since I was a teenager. I am also sensitive so most acne treatments make me flake or are just too harsh. Now that I am older, I am getting some fine lines and sun damage is starting to show a bit.

When I was about 19 I had such a bad outbreak of cystic acne, that I have some medium pock scars on the left side of my face. Compared to my right, my left side had a very bad texture. And once I started to get older, the damage seemed to show up more. I was very depressed about it.

So this is where the peel comes in WOW!!!!!! I see about 60 percent improvement inthe icepick scar. In fact, some days I will look in the mirror and think I am wearing foundation and I'm not! But everything is so even and such a good texture, that I can get away with just wearing sunscreen and a little powder. The really fine lines are gone and the deeper ones are softening up. I do still get a couple of break outs but they are different. Instead of really deep cystic pimples that last for months. They are just normal pimples that dry up in a couple of days (which is FINE compared to what I usually have to deal with). The first week I did have a couple of massive cysts which could have been just brought to the surface by the glycolic acid or could have been developing for months and it was just their time. So be ready, Because you are not going to be clear the first week. But what I did notice was the skin around the break out was glowing and glood and better textured.

I do this peel one a week. I stopped using the prep solution, because I found I didn't really need it. I found that if you exfoliate before using something like Clinique seven day scrub or Origins Modern Friction, youll get a much deeper peel with a more dramatic result. I do notice that my skin is quite sensitive (the sensitivity has increased with the number of peels. the first one i didnt notice much at all) and I have to protect it more with sunscreen and moisture but I have never flaked with this.

My skin care routine is this:

Morning:

Origins Platindote Cleanser (great for sensitive skin but doesnt remove MU)
MUAC Gly-Luronic Serum (exfoliates and gives a glow under makup. My skin is getting sensitive so I use it every other day now)
Origins Platindote Serum (calms reddness and gives moisture)
Clinque City Block SPF 45

Night:
MAC Cleanse-Off oil (takes off all my makeup and sunscreen. doesnt break me out)
Origins Plantidote Toner (very calming)
Orignins Starting Over Oil- Free with Mimosa (night creme for lines)

I love this peel. I did my second one (one each week) and so far am pleased with the results. I followed the directions exactly on the packaging. Your kit comes with the peel, prep, and green tea soap. The first treatment I did I only did the 30 seconds as recommended and it stung very little and barely left a pink tone to my skin. The following week I left it on for 1 full minute and had the same results, slight warmth and very faint pinkness that went away in about an hour. The first thing I noticed was my skintone already looks more even (less ruddiness). I have a TON of clogged pores on my chin (has been like that since I was little) and I've noticed some patches of clarity. I've had a couple of small breakouts near my cheeks but they cleared up as quickly as they came (litterly the next day the bump was gone leaving only a red spot and then the following day the redness was gone too). The green tea soap is WONDERFUL! It leaves my skin feeling tight but not flaky. On my next purchase I'm going to buy a bar on it's own. Since I've been using my peel my makeup has also been going on much smoother. I think a lot of it has to do with skin being less ruddy that my makeup just looks better since I don't have to apply quite as much. I'm anxious to do longer treatments and bump up to a 40 or 50% treatment but I am determined to be patient and use the treatments as they are intended so I don't have to worry about damaging my skin, so I will finish my 30% peel and then move up to the next percentage. ETA: I just had to add. My son, who is 7 years old developed some pimples along his hairline (really angry looking ones too!). Last night I brushed back his bangs (which I think are the source of the problem!) and took a warm cloth with a little bit of the green tea soap and wipe along his brow. LITERALLY the next day the pimples are almost ALL gone! I kid you not! I wish I took a before/after shot! I am buying a full sized bar of this soap ASAP!

I have been using various strengths of this for a few months now. Unfortunately, I tend to break out the day after application, but I think the overall results are well worth it. I am sold.

Just make sure you apply evenly and steadily. You can easily burn yourself!

I got the sample size and it worked really well for the first month. On my fifth time using it, I accidently put on too much in certain spot, and i got burned. my skin got brown (like it was sunburned) and then peeled over the next three days on the spot when i was burned by the acid. Due to that bad experience, i stopped using the peel. For future users, please be careful of burning your skin.