Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.5

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This, in conjunction with other MUAC peels like the Mandelic/Salicylic and the 40% lactic acid, have done a 360 degree of change in my skin. However, as I have informed myself and have become aware of chemistry, skin responses and effects, and how my skin maintenance products function, I truly believe this is the star of the show. Before this, the peels I used previously did work, but I constantly had to depend on them (and thus be open to future skin resistance and perhaps sensibility) which I did not desire. Also, the results would not last long and the problems would persist, namely that I had problems finding appropriate skin maintenance products and my skin wouldn't cooperate with any moisturizer, regardless of price, texture, or an ingredient omitted. To me is the Assistant Director in the film production that is my skin care routine. The Hulk in my Avengers. The bread in my PB&J. It has made everything make sense and function seamlessly. It resolves that which the others cannot in a timely and efficient manner. ALWAYS.

After each use my skin looks refined, pristine, and radiant, like a baby's tushie. My skin care products actually work now and I've had no more problems with finding a moisturizer. I no longer increase the time I leave it on as the weeks progress, as my skin doesn't react well to that method. I only leave it on for 4-6 minutes, never more. This method does leave me with a nice, subtle but marked radiance to my skin, despite it not promising so. No purging, no peeling, just an overall refreshment. Doesn't help with clogged pores on nose unfortunately. I look forward to using it every time. Along with the Mandelic/Salicylic, a big and enthusiastic 5/5. If I had to pick, I'd pick this one wholeheartedly(since it does refine the skin and it is less evident. The salicylic/mandelic eradicates hormonal acne almost immediately) but please, focus on your main concern first then go from there.

on 5/12/2015 4:49:00 PM

this is my first review ever! through being a massive lover of makeup alley and finding this product on here i decided to buy a few MUAC products.
I'm 22 and have had acne for 2 years and its progressively got worse, I've never suffered with acne through my teen years my skin was beautiful now it is a complete mess, i have active acne ALWAYS and the scarring on my face is ridiuclus. i have spots on my cheeks that have been there for YEARS! NO JOKE.
i bought this peel and the tca so hopefully il be able to use that in the coming months once my skin gets used to this,
I've only used this once and the results already are ridiculously good. my face overall is so shiny ( i have dry skin so wow ) the spots i have have decreased massively and the scars i had on my cheeks along with the acne are literally starting to disappear already.
I've only used it once so maybe this review is premature but wow.
I've heard only good things about muac I'm so excited to use the rest of their line ( it cost me 50 to be delivered and customs to uk ) I've tried absolutely everything there is to try trust me, the amount of products i have is silly.
so excited to carry on this peel I'm guna make it a weekly thing!
I've only give it a 4/5 just because I've only used it once so I'm sure il be back with the results in a few weeks ! :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Another good peel from MUAC. Nothing unclogs pores like a good peel. I tried another brand. Big mistake. I'm back to MUAC and not switching. This brand is gentle and effective, without a nasty burn. Increase usage time gradually and follow the instructions.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I started using MUAC 30% Glycolic Acid peels after a life-time of disappointment in acne treatment.

I've used dozens of skin care lines, OCM, Retin-A in cream and gel form, internal suppliments, professional facials (sometimes with peels), anti-biotics, and sulphur masks.

[Mini Rant/Word to the wise: Research your actives before plunking down an obscene amount of money for a product. If a ingredient is not in the INCI, then it's likely marketing maurading around in a lab coat. Also, I don't trust research that isn't peer reviewed, or is sponsored by the company hawking the product.]

My skin before I started using the peel:

Oily
Active acne that wouldn't budge. I've had some of these spots for YEARS.
Lots of scars
Sallow complexion
Lots of huge pores

I started using the peel once a week, each week adding a minute until I hit the max reccomended time.

I've been using this peel now for about 8 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic improvement. The first couple of weeks I still had active acne, but my complexion looked almost dewy and I noticed a few shallow lines start to disappear.

By week 3 a noticable decrease in active acne was noted, and my pores had started to become less noticable.

Week 8 was during my cycle and instead of the vicious breakout that signals the start of my period, I only had THREE! count them THREE! smallish pimples that cleared up in a couple of days. I'm so happy I could tap dance!

Sometimes I will be a teeny bit pink and tender the day after I peel, but nothing serious. I also have not experienced any visable peeling (which I wasn't expecting since this particular peel at this strength is considered a chemical exfoliation and not a true skin peel).

This week I did my first TCA 12.5% peel, and I'm waiting for the peeling to finish before I can gauge if there is any initial improvement.

On top of that I've changed my daily routine to:

AM: Skin Actives: Salicylic wash (very gentle) Vitamin C in the AM, UNT tinted sunscreen
PM: Skin Actives Salicylic wash, and "Let's Make Collegen" serum

I still have damage to repair, but my active acne has slowed down to a couple of minor pimples per month and clear up quickly, and the fine lines I was starting to see are slowly vanishing. I can live with that!

A word of caution. I've seen a lot of folks on the internet saying they started bang out the gate with 50% Glycolic or 30% TCA with no former peel experince, and seemingly very little knowlege about the chemistry of their skin, the mechanism of what they are doing, or why a chemical peel is able to do what it does.

Please do your research.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and a current chem student, which gives me a bit of a unique perspective. When done properly, there is no reason why anyone (who's skin condition is suitable for this treatment) can't benefit from doing a home chemical peel.

Do a skin test prior to any unknown peel type (this includes changing brands), or change in strength. If I have a bad reaction to XYZ peel type/brand at 8%; I can't imagine what it would be at 18%.

Increase the strength of your peels SLOWLY, and be sure to use sunscreen every single day - whether you leave the house or not.

on 1/22/2012 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

After always reading reviews before to make any cosmetic purchase I feel I do have to let others know about my experience. I am just saying that because is my first time making a product review and I hope it will help anybody on making the decision on getting the product or no. I am on my lates 20'. I do suffer from ocassional acne, which is good for me after what I had to go through when I was 23, my face was full of blemishes that left my face with scars. I do not count with the money to have expensives treatment that may or may not work on me, however after reading the reviews for this chemical peels I decided to give it a try and so far so good. I am on my forth week, I did the test pach the morning I got the peel, which was very fast shipping! And the same night after not getting any skin reaction I applied it all over my face for a minute and half. It sting just a little and I neutralize it with just water. The day after I did not see much of a difference just I notice my face was a little more moisture. The second week I left the peel for four minutes and the next day same result. On the third week I left it for six minutes, I applied a lot more of the peel, next day my skin was glowing, my discolorations seems to be less noticeable because concealer make them almos gone. I am very positive that by the eight week this percentage of glycolic will make my skin look more even. I will update. When I finish with it I want to go for the lactic acid 55% to finally see what happen with the tca 12.5%. If you want to ask me I am going with it just let me know.

I ordered a few peels from MAUA over the past year and have had great results with this one controlling my hyper pigmented, acne prone, blotchy uneven skin. For years I have been striving for skin perfection using any and every product from Sephora down to Wal-Mart.
When you try this peel @ 30% concentration only use it once a week. I got a little crazy over the past few weeks and was using it 2-3 times a week and my skin looked as if I had truly suffered a major chemical burn along my jawline. I have been using the MUAC Pomegranate Green Tea Cleanser and Toner, followed by the MUAC Argan Oil. These have helped soothe my skin back into normalcy.
I would also recommend using it as a spot treatment more frequently in tiny areas in between peels to really lift the layers of skin in that area causing trouble.

So I've been struggling with acne for as long as I can remember. I saw a couple dermatologists and nothing they ever gave me to take or put on my skin helped. Most time it actually made it worse! So a friend of my husbands married a dermatologist, she recommended that I buy a G peel off line and use it. She suggested the 60% for my skin (my skin was horrible could not put a finger on my skin with out touching a pimple) Also suggested that I may be allergic to salicylic acid. So I'm using Cetaphil soap cause it so gentle. The first time she showed me how to apply it (the peel), then I took over from then on. The first time I did it it didn't burn or anything. Then after my skin I broke out even more. Then for 2 months I did a peel every 2 weeks. As i did the peels I only saw minimal peeling, every time I would do a peel it would pull out everything in my skin (seemed a never ending) bringing everything to a head. Sometimes scabbing over. But slowly my skin is healing and clearing. Now 4 months later i do one peel a month and my skin is all most completely clear (to me its beautiful because of how it was before) Also every time I did it I would leave it on for 6 mins, after the first time it did start burning you want to scratch your skin! Then I'd wash off with my soap. It was trying, a lot of days not aloud to wear makeup, with a red face, of peeling skin... But for me it was worth it.
*** I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THE 60% UNLESS DIRECTED BY A DOCTOR, AS I WAS.***
If the products your using dont work or make it worse you may consider you may be allergic. I would reccomend the Cetaphil! Just because you have acne doesn't mean only "acne products" will work.

on 10/25/2010 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hi...This is more of a warning to others than a review...I have oily, acne prone skin and it's not very sensitive...Ive used this about 5 times with no problem upto 10 minutes..Been using Retin A for the past 2 weeks and didnt even think to check on interaction...Well I used it again and this time, got a few nice burns....So warning to any other dummies out there, if youve recently introduced retin a, dont use this, at least not for 10 minutes. I didnt even feel the burning until afterwards... The retin A thins your skin I guess, which I should have known, Ive been on accutane twice...but again didnt even realize....so just keep that in mind!
Also as a side note, I didnt get all the wonderful benefits others have gotten from this...My skin is really stubborn acne prone skin and dont know what will work on it :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

So far so good with this product! Here is my story: I was experiencing the worst breakout I have ever had on my lower cheeks of deep cystic acne that my normal routine would not touch. What was worse was that the pimples were very swollen and left terrible hyperpigmentation behind so even when the pimples cleared my skin still looked like a disaster. I have been using it for a week and have done 3 peels (one every 3 or 4 days for 10 minutes) and this has reduced the amount of pimples by probably 40%! It has also greatly reduced the new hyperpigmentation, though old marks remain. I also got their 12.5% TCA peel which I am planning on using in the upcoming week to deal with old marks.

I have been experiencing some new pimples due to the "deep cleansing" process as described by MUAC but they heal very quickly. I did experience some dryness and flaking the day after the 2nd peel but this is probably because I am using it twice as often as suggested. My most recent peel I had no dryness.

*Note* My normal routine includes a 10% glycolic acid lotion and I have deep olive and fairly thick skin so I would not recommend my way of using this peel to those with sensitive, thin skin or people who do not use glycolic acid regularly. Instead follow MUAC's directions.

on 7/1/2008 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I used the 30% peel for the first time last night. I am currently using MD Forte glycolic products so I think my skin was able to tolerate this peel better. I cleansed my face and applied the PH toner (that comes with the peel) and the used 2 cotton buds to apply the peel. ONLY apply a thin layer and I didn't re-soak the buds. One application was enough as I applied it to one cheek first and then left it on for about 38 seconds and removed with water. After this, I applied to my other cheek. I wanted to be sure I am careful. There is a video on youtube 'how to apply a peel' I found that useful and then I practiced this with cotton buds and water. I also purchased the MUAC Aloe vera gel. This was nice to apply after the peel, however it was quite runny and not a gel form. Make sure to use spf 25 everyday after the peel.