Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.6

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 9/29/2016 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I thought nothing would ever budge my hyperpigmentation. It's a combination of sun damage and melasma that used to be so light that I honestly never really noticed it. If I squint super hard while looking at old photos taken up close in just the right lighting, I can see the outline of what would eventually become these dark spots. An ill advised BBL session brought them out in full force. Perhaps having more BBL would have eventually lifted the pigment away. But 3 dermatologists warned me that any more light treatments might make it darker and harder to treat. So I went the topical route, but it was waylaid by the fact that I got pregnant and then breastfed for 5 months and couldn't use a lot of ingredients during that entire time.

I went from having skin that others would describe as peaches and cream to having a spotted freckled face. I can't tell you how sad this made me. It destroyed my self confidence and consumed my thoughts. My entire appearance changed for the worse in the span of a week and it was impossible to come to terms with. What I saw in my reflection was not me. Not to mention I was dealing with full on adult acne from coming off the pill. So I had brown spots all over and every kind of acne you can imagine. I was spotted and lumpy. I couldn't decide if I hated the acne or the discoloration more. Age spots have been shown to visually add more years to your face than wrinkles, and I'm proof of that. I spent 1.5+ years avoiding mirrors and cameras. The spots were always so visible in photos!! There's only a handful of photos of me with my first born up to age 8 months bc I was still dealing with very dark pigmentation and I truly hated every photo I saw of myself.

I read so much about melasma and tried all the things that are supposed to help it. Finacea, Tazorac, vitamin C, hydroquinone, lactic acid peels, Mandelic peels, TCA 15%, B3, etc.

I avoided glycolic bc I'd had bad experiences when I was younger of it breaking me out, and everything I read said stuff like lactic acid was better for hyperpigmentation.

I'm not sure what inspired me to order and try MUAC 30% glycolic, but I did. And oh my god. After one 4 min peel, the spots were lighter. I could not believe my eyes. I've done 4 peels since then, about 5-7 days apart, and things keep getting lighter.

Maybe this would not have worked as well if I had not stripped my skin down with all that other stuff I've been trying since Feb 2016. I don't know. All I can tell you is that stuff diff not budge these spots one bit. This stuff did.

They are not gone by any means but I'll keep using this at least once a week and tell you how it's going. They are light enough at this point that I let someone take a photo of me and my son up close the other day. And I did not hate the photo.

This is also helping me clear up some really problematic pores, closed comedones that just would not go away. This is helping to get them gone, in conjunction with Paula's Choice BHA liquid and Taz gel.

2 months ago I pre paid for a mini melanage peel, and I plan to do it in early Nov. I am hopeful that will really get rid of all the spots for good and give me a clean slate going forward. But even though I'm doing a big guns peel, I 100% plan to keep using this peel for upkeep at least once a month, forever.

Praise the powers that be, there is hope for stubborn sun and melasma spots. Give this stuff a try. Use it weekly for a long time before you give up on it. It might just surprise you one day.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've been using MUAC peels for 17 months now and I will never be without them. This is a review for the MUAC peels I have tried, and I've put the review here because I am currently using the 30% glycolic. I had a *horrible* bout of acne a few years ago (read my review on Epiduo if you want to know the gory details) and undoubtedly, these at-home chemical peels helped me recover and get even better skin than before. I'm in my 30's and my skin is better than it was in my 20's- smoother, more even toned, less congested, fewer hormonal cysts during ovulation and PMS. I don't think my skin has improved at all in elasticity, but that's aging for you and superficial peels cannot touch skin structural issues. I've found the peels great at targeting pigmentation, surface textural issues and acne without the risk of serious side effects. So many benefits at a very low cost and time commitment, which is why I will never be without these peels again.

I started slowly with a sample size of the 25% Mandelic. I did a peel every week (sometimes every two weeks) and the bottle lasted months. My acne started resolving and I got brighter skin in general. I was amazed when the Mandelic peel seemed to stop active acne in its tracks-- it's like the bumps would retreat!! Then, I moved on to the sample size of the 40% Lactic Acid, which went to work on genetic hyperpigmentation (asian freckles, like Lucy Liu) and sunspots I've had since my 20's. This sample lasted for months with weekly use. At one point, I realized that both brown and reddish colored marks on my face had faded drastically. I'm not entirely sure why because it is intermediate between mandelic and glycolic in terms of how well it penetrates the skin, but the only peel that has given me tiny abrasions/chemical burns post-peel has been the Lactic.

After I finished the Lactic acid sample, I moved onto the 30% Glycolic acid. By this time, after a year of the peels, I no longer need to wear foundation because the scars from my bout of acne have completely faded (I mostly had PIH) and my skin is even toned. I have noticed that the tiny capillaries around my nose have either gotten slightly worse or perhaps the rest of my skin has gotten so even that my reddish caps are more prominent in contrast! The coarseness of texture/enlarged pores under my eyes and next to my nose from aging also looks much better. When I got about a month and half into my glycolic acid peel regime (about three months before today), I stopped getting the hormonal PMS cyst (or two) on my chin that I was still getting with the lactic. If you have icepick acne scarring, I'd definitely work up to and try the glycolic acid-- I had one such pitted scar on my cheek, from a pimple I got years back. While the mandelic or lactic never improved it, the glycolic has made it shallower and markedly less noticeable! Amazing!

To echo what others have said, it's true that lactic acid is better for hyperpigmentation issues and glycolic is better for treating/preventing acne. The glycolic seems to be the only one that improves more severe scarring and it's been the best at keeping my most congested pores clean, however... be careful with this one-- even though I'd been using peels for a good year before I started it, I could only tolerate leaving it on for 30 seconds at first. It felt like the tingling you get after you snap a rubber band onto your skin. After about two 30-second peels, my skin got acclimated and now I can leave it on for 7-10 minutes. Let me tell you, the day after my first 7 minute glycolic peel, the stubborn pores on my nose were completely cleared of their dark colored gunk.

Try these peels! Follow the directions to a T, stop retinoids 48 hours before each peel, wait 24 hours to resume retinoids, start at the lowest %, least penetrative acid, and you might just end up with the best skin of your life!

PS try using Cerave PM after the peels-- I wake up with baby-butt-face: so supple and plump, not a flake in sight. ;)

on 4/27/2013 2:36:00 AM

My experience with this peel-- I used it yesterday and it was the first time I ever used a home peel!
I was very very nervous to try it but I was also excited because I wanted to see how my face would like after.
I also bought the Lactic Acid 40% peel.

Yesterday morning I did patch tests (on both of my cheekbones where usually I have dry skin) with both of the peels to use how do they feel like and if I would have a red dinosaur or so on my face.
At first I noticed that the Glycolic peel burned a bit.
I left both peels as they say in the Instructions.

In the evening, I've seen that everything was fine so I was thinking to try the Glycolic...I just didn't have anymore patience to wait until today.

I washed my face, wiped my face with the Ph solution, put the Glycolic acid on my fingers, put it on my skin and then I put my phone cronom. on 30 sec.
After 30 sec. I was fine (bit stinging but nothing serious, I could handle it) and I waited until 1 minute.
I quickly washed my face with a lot of water.
I pat my skin with fresh, clean towel.

I let my skin free for 3 hours and before going to bed I put Macadamia Oil (my new love) and went to bed.

What I noticed after the peel: my face was a bit pink, taught, no weird sensation that would worry me, dewy, and few small pimples were already on my forehead (these little pimples have been there for few weeks already but I just let them sit there), my nose was a bit oily and a bit dry on the nose wings (nothing serious).
The dry patches that I had on my forehead, cheeks and cheeksbones are smoother.

Now, in the morning, my skin is softer, it is not dry or red or burned. My small pimples on my forehead are still there but you don't really see them unless you touch my skin and you feel some bumps. No problem. Maybe it was just the acid that took them out and I am happy about it. My skin has a clear tone. My pores a bit smaller (nothing major).

I can't wait for the next peel!

My skin is used to Retin A, Azelaic acid, AHA and BHA and other stuffs. I have combination skin, acne marks on my chin, very clog prone and from time to time I have pimples. Sensitive. Dry patches on my forehead and cheeks from Retin A that I used few months ago.

Caution:
- do a patch test and wait 24 hr (I waited 9 hrs but this is just me being impatient and my face used to other acids but you never know how your skin may react)
- don't let the peel on the skin longer that it is writen in the Instructions
- take care of your skin after peel- don't use harsh products, no scrubs or acids for the next 2 days ( again you never know how your skin may react so don't take the chance).

I hoped this helped someone who is thinking to have a first time home peel.

I will update when I will have my next peel.

EDIT- I used this peel 3 times in total. The advantages: my skin is clearer, my pores are smallar and they are not blocked as they used to be. My scars are fading.
Disadvantages: my skin is very dry and peeling (I had dry skin prior to suing this peel but it wasn't that bad as it is now). So use with caution is you have dry skin, it will make it drier.
My scars are fading but nothing major but still it is OK.
I can see an overall improvement and I will continue to use it but I will make sure to pamper my dry skin areas.

EDIT 30.08.2013. Updated to 5 stars.
I used it yesterday for 5 mins. It still stings a bit but nothing major. After I washed it off my skin was a bit pink and quite sensitive even when I washed with clean water. Again, nothing major.
Results next morning: skin very smooth, pores veeery small, very old scars are getting less visible, I had 2 cysts lurking for a week and nothing helped (not even my beloved Skinoren!!) and now they are light purple and not so bumpy and angry.
I love this peel and I will continue using it!!

EDIT: 01.06.2014
I have been using this peel once a month because my skin has been dry in the winter months and I didn't want to stress it. It still leave my skin soft for few days, my pores look smaller and cleaner. It leaves my face dewy. I still have to use my Macadamia oil because I have dry cheeks but I like this peel a lot and I will continue to use it once a month.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I started using MUAC 30% Glycolic Acid peels after a life-time of disappointment in acne treatment.

I've used dozens of skin care lines, OCM, Retin-A in cream and gel form, internal suppliments, professional facials (sometimes with peels), anti-biotics, and sulphur masks.

[Mini Rant/Word to the wise: Research your actives before plunking down an obscene amount of money for a product. If a ingredient is not in the INCI, then it's likely marketing maurading around in a lab coat. Also, I don't trust research that isn't peer reviewed, or is sponsored by the company hawking the product.]

My skin before I started using the peel:

Oily
Active acne that wouldn't budge. I've had some of these spots for YEARS.
Lots of scars
Sallow complexion
Lots of huge pores

I started using the peel once a week, each week adding a minute until I hit the max reccomended time.

I've been using this peel now for about 8 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic improvement. The first couple of weeks I still had active acne, but my complexion looked almost dewy and I noticed a few shallow lines start to disappear.

By week 3 a noticable decrease in active acne was noted, and my pores had started to become less noticable.

Week 8 was during my cycle and instead of the vicious breakout that signals the start of my period, I only had THREE! count them THREE! smallish pimples that cleared up in a couple of days. I'm so happy I could tap dance!

Sometimes I will be a teeny bit pink and tender the day after I peel, but nothing serious. I also have not experienced any visable peeling (which I wasn't expecting since this particular peel at this strength is considered a chemical exfoliation and not a true skin peel).

This week I did my first TCA 12.5% peel, and I'm waiting for the peeling to finish before I can gauge if there is any initial improvement.

On top of that I've changed my daily routine to:

AM: Skin Actives: Salicylic wash (very gentle) Vitamin C in the AM, UNT tinted sunscreen
PM: Skin Actives Salicylic wash, and "Let's Make Collegen" serum

I still have damage to repair, but my active acne has slowed down to a couple of minor pimples per month and clear up quickly, and the fine lines I was starting to see are slowly vanishing. I can live with that!

A word of caution. I've seen a lot of folks on the internet saying they started bang out the gate with 50% Glycolic or 30% TCA with no former peel experince, and seemingly very little knowlege about the chemistry of their skin, the mechanism of what they are doing, or why a chemical peel is able to do what it does.

Please do your research.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and a current chem student, which gives me a bit of a unique perspective. When done properly, there is no reason why anyone (who's skin condition is suitable for this treatment) can't benefit from doing a home chemical peel.

Do a skin test prior to any unknown peel type (this includes changing brands), or change in strength. If I have a bad reaction to XYZ peel type/brand at 8%; I can't imagine what it would be at 18%.

Increase the strength of your peels SLOWLY, and be sure to use sunscreen every single day - whether you leave the house or not.

I ordered a few peels from MAUA over the past year and have had great results with this one controlling my hyper pigmented, acne prone, blotchy uneven skin. For years I have been striving for skin perfection using any and every product from Sephora down to Wal-Mart.
When you try this peel @ 30% concentration only use it once a week. I got a little crazy over the past few weeks and was using it 2-3 times a week and my skin looked as if I had truly suffered a major chemical burn along my jawline. I have been using the MUAC Pomegranate Green Tea Cleanser and Toner, followed by the MUAC Argan Oil. These have helped soothe my skin back into normalcy.
I would also recommend using it as a spot treatment more frequently in tiny areas in between peels to really lift the layers of skin in that area causing trouble.

So I've been struggling with acne for as long as I can remember. I saw a couple dermatologists and nothing they ever gave me to take or put on my skin helped. Most time it actually made it worse! So a friend of my husbands married a dermatologist, she recommended that I buy a G peel off line and use it. She suggested the 60% for my skin (my skin was horrible could not put a finger on my skin with out touching a pimple) Also suggested that I may be allergic to salicylic acid. So I'm using Cetaphil soap cause it so gentle. The first time she showed me how to apply it (the peel), then I took over from then on. The first time I did it it didn't burn or anything. Then after my skin I broke out even more. Then for 2 months I did a peel every 2 weeks. As i did the peels I only saw minimal peeling, every time I would do a peel it would pull out everything in my skin (seemed a never ending) bringing everything to a head. Sometimes scabbing over. But slowly my skin is healing and clearing. Now 4 months later i do one peel a month and my skin is all most completely clear (to me its beautiful because of how it was before) Also every time I did it I would leave it on for 6 mins, after the first time it did start burning you want to scratch your skin! Then I'd wash off with my soap. It was trying, a lot of days not aloud to wear makeup, with a red face, of peeling skin... But for me it was worth it.
*** I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THE 60% UNLESS DIRECTED BY A DOCTOR, AS I WAS.***
If the products your using dont work or make it worse you may consider you may be allergic. I would reccomend the Cetaphil! Just because you have acne doesn't mean only "acne products" will work.

on 3/21/2011 7:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Glycolic Peel is the best for treating mild to moderate acne, rejuvenating skin and reducing under eye circles!!
I had been going through a stressful time and a messy sleeping schedule due to which I got mild acne on my cheeks! it started about 6 months back after which i decided to get it treated...i consulted a dermatologist and she recommended that i should get about 6-8 sessions of this peel! though here it says that it's a home kit but i was really skeptical to purchase and use it myself since it was the first time i ever heard of a chemical peel! Which is why i decided to get it treated and it wasn't that costly! I am done with 5 sessions (have one more to go)... this peel is awesome! not only does it give you fresh youthful glow but also treats acne and acne scars very well....the pimples are gone and now i am left with few scars! I would strongly recommend everyone to go for this instead of a facial at a salon/spa! And also under the supervision of a dermatologist! usually what they do is increase the concentration each passing session....they start off with 5% and go on till 30% or 50% depending on the skin!

I've been using this for only about 3 weeks now, so I'll have to come back and update if anything changes, but so far I'm extremely satisfied. It's really not too expensive considering how powerful the product is, especially when you compare it to cost of going to a salon or doctor for a peel. I got the 1 oz. size, and I've used maybe 1/8 so far - I would estimate there are about 20 uses in a 1 oz. kit. It came with a little bar of green tea soap, which I like (except for the soapy smell) - it's gentle and cleans thoroughly.

My experience so far has been that it takes almost a week for my skin to completely recover and start really improving in appearance. The first few days after I do a peel, it looks worse than it did before - splotchy, dull, pale, oily in the morning, red spots very prominent - so I wouldn't recommend doing this less than a week before a big date or event of some kind. My skin tends to be oily anyways, so it doesn't get too flaky.

After about 5 days, it starts looking better every day: my pores are much less noticeable; the texture of my skin is much smoother; redness is isolated to a few small, stubborn spots; and my skin looks bright and glowing. No breakouts yet (FYI, I'm also on Solodyn to prevent acne). I can't wait to see how this will continue to improve my skin.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Very good once-a-week exfoliation product. I always use at night and leave on the full 12 minutes with no problem at all. Stings for the few minute or so, but then it is fine. I bought the sample size and finished that, and now I am using the sample size of the 40 percent. I do get a little more oily than usual for a day or two after, but it keeps my skin glowing. The price is outstanding. I think it is an amazing product for maintaining fresh, young-looking skin in between tca peels. :)

on 2/19/2009 9:59:00 PM

I actually went straight to the 50% glycolic when I saw that the website carried concentrations as high as 70%. My skin is pretty tolerant and I do not feel any stinging unless I happen to get some into an open pimple.
I am not sure if it is making a tremendous difference. Sometimes it seems that my skin is smoother, sometime ???? I am giving it 4 lippies since all the research shows glycolic acids to be very effective. My only peeve - they give you equal size bottles of Ph Prep sol'n and the acid but you have to use twice as much prep since you have to apply it before AND after the glycolic so end up with an empty prep and 1/3 of the bottle of glycolic. Can you buy te Ph Prep separately?