Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.3

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 2/2/2010 9:13:00 AM

I am on my 5th week of this peel and I use it along with MUAC's Gly-Luronic serum (anyone with cystic acne needs to try this). I have brand new skin!!!! I had tried the Lactic Acid 40% first and it was nice, but I didn't notice any results that addressed my skin concerns. I am 35 and have suffered with cystic acne since I was a teenager. I am also sensitive so most acne treatments make me flake or are just too harsh. Now that I am older, I am getting some fine lines and sun damage is starting to show a bit.

When I was about 19 I had such a bad outbreak of cystic acne, that I have some medium pock scars on the left side of my face. Compared to my right, my left side had a very bad texture. And once I started to get older, the damage seemed to show up more. I was very depressed about it.

So this is where the peel comes in WOW!!!!!! I see about 60 percent improvement inthe icepick scar. In fact, some days I will look in the mirror and think I am wearing foundation and I'm not! But everything is so even and such a good texture, that I can get away with just wearing sunscreen and a little powder. The really fine lines are gone and the deeper ones are softening up. I do still get a couple of break outs but they are different. Instead of really deep cystic pimples that last for months. They are just normal pimples that dry up in a couple of days (which is FINE compared to what I usually have to deal with). The first week I did have a couple of massive cysts which could have been just brought to the surface by the glycolic acid or could have been developing for months and it was just their time. So be ready, Because you are not going to be clear the first week. But what I did notice was the skin around the break out was glowing and glood and better textured.

I do this peel one a week. I stopped using the prep solution, because I found I didn't really need it. I found that if you exfoliate before using something like Clinique seven day scrub or Origins Modern Friction, youll get a much deeper peel with a more dramatic result. I do notice that my skin is quite sensitive (the sensitivity has increased with the number of peels. the first one i didnt notice much at all) and I have to protect it more with sunscreen and moisture but I have never flaked with this.

My skin care routine is this:

Morning:

Origins Platindote Cleanser (great for sensitive skin but doesnt remove MU)
MUAC Gly-Luronic Serum (exfoliates and gives a glow under makup. My skin is getting sensitive so I use it every other day now)
Origins Platindote Serum (calms reddness and gives moisture)
Clinque City Block SPF 45

Night:
MAC Cleanse-Off oil (takes off all my makeup and sunscreen. doesnt break me out)
Origins Plantidote Toner (very calming)
Orignins Starting Over Oil- Free with Mimosa (night creme for lines)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've been using MUAC peels for 17 months now and I will never be without them. This is a review for the MUAC peels I have tried, and I've put the review here because I am currently using the 30% glycolic. I had a *horrible* bout of acne a few years ago (read my review on Epiduo if you want to know the gory details) and undoubtedly, these at-home chemical peels helped me recover and get even better skin than before. I'm in my 30's and my skin is better than it was in my 20's- smoother, more even toned, less congested, fewer hormonal cysts during ovulation and PMS. I don't think my skin has improved at all in elasticity, but that's aging for you and superficial peels cannot touch skin structural issues. I've found the peels great at targeting pigmentation, surface textural issues and acne without the risk of serious side effects. So many benefits at a very low cost and time commitment, which is why I will never be without these peels again.

I started slowly with a sample size of the 25% Mandelic. I did a peel every week (sometimes every two weeks) and the bottle lasted months. My acne started resolving and I got brighter skin in general. I was amazed when the Mandelic peel seemed to stop active acne in its tracks-- it's like the bumps would retreat!! Then, I moved on to the sample size of the 40% Lactic Acid, which went to work on genetic hyperpigmentation (asian freckles, like Lucy Liu) and sunspots I've had since my 20's. This sample lasted for months with weekly use. At one point, I realized that both brown and reddish colored marks on my face had faded drastically. I'm not entirely sure why because it is intermediate between mandelic and glycolic in terms of how well it penetrates the skin, but the only peel that has given me tiny abrasions/chemical burns post-peel has been the Lactic.

After I finished the Lactic acid sample, I moved onto the 30% Glycolic acid. By this time, after a year of the peels, I no longer need to wear foundation because the scars from my bout of acne have completely faded (I mostly had PIH) and my skin is even toned. I have noticed that the tiny capillaries around my nose have either gotten slightly worse or perhaps the rest of my skin has gotten so even that my reddish caps are more prominent in contrast! The coarseness of texture/enlarged pores under my eyes and next to my nose from aging also looks much better. When I got about a month and half into my glycolic acid peel regime (about three months before today), I stopped getting the hormonal PMS cyst (or two) on my chin that I was still getting with the lactic. If you have icepick acne scarring, I'd definitely work up to and try the glycolic acid-- I had one such pitted scar on my cheek, from a pimple I got years back. While the mandelic or lactic never improved it, the glycolic has made it shallower and markedly less noticeable! Amazing!

To echo what others have said, it's true that lactic acid is better for hyperpigmentation issues and glycolic is better for treating/preventing acne. The glycolic seems to be the only one that improves more severe scarring and it's been the best at keeping my most congested pores clean, however... be careful with this one-- even though I'd been using peels for a good year before I started it, I could only tolerate leaving it on for 30 seconds at first. It felt like the tingling you get after you snap a rubber band onto your skin. After about two 30-second peels, my skin got acclimated and now I can leave it on for 7-10 minutes. Let me tell you, the day after my first 7 minute glycolic peel, the stubborn pores on my nose were completely cleared of their dark colored gunk.

Try these peels! Follow the directions to a T, stop retinoids 48 hours before each peel, wait 24 hours to resume retinoids, start at the lowest %, least penetrative acid, and you might just end up with the best skin of your life!

PS try using Cerave PM after the peels-- I wake up with baby-butt-face: so supple and plump, not a flake in sight. ;)

on 5/26/2013 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Just to give you a bit of info on my skin. I have vitiligo, moderate acne (thanks to a hormonal IUD), sun spots. I'm also an obsessive skin picker, so that moderate acne looks swollen, red, and scabby all the time. I hate my skin to a point I sometimes hide at home because my skin is just that bad.
My cheeks are GLOWING and soft and gorgeous.
So, i left it on for about 4 minutes. I washed my face with Aveeno Positively Radiant Brigtening Cleanser (I think it's important to use a gentle cleanser before any peel). Then I applied rubbing alcohol to my face (and no I don't recommend doing this normally, I just wanted to remove all oils from my face). Then I used the included PH prep (which is just witch hazel, don't repurchase this, not worth it), allowed it to air dry completely. I applied a thin layer (really, the peel itself is so watery you can't apply a very thick layer anyway) of the peel on my face. It stung more than the lactic acid peel, but nothing scary. What did make me nervous was how red parts of my face got, but this went away about an hour once I'd removed the peel. I left it on for about four minutes, then rinsed it off with only water and an included honey and oatmeal soap sample they included.
I love this, it's already an HG for me.
UPDATE: Still loving this. Acne hyperpigmentation is a thing of the past, and if I feel a pimple growing under my skin, I just use this peel, seems to fix it.
UPDATE #2: This is AMAZING for BACK ACNE and scarring! Like AMAZEBALLS. I've suffered from cystic back acne (long story) for about three years now, I thought I was condemned to a life of sleeves and no tube tops... NOPE. Put this on my back (for 12 mins, since I figured skin there is tougher), same process as above... I'm getting COMPLIMENTS from coworkers, my husband, etc, about how my back has cleared up in about three week's time. I literally feel NO new pimples growing under my skin. This is an official all around HG for me.
UPDATE #3: SKIN SAVER, but to give more details... this peel takes time. I'll compare if with the lactic acid peel as I used both of these most often. The lactic acid peel gives you a more immediate difference, but it did little for my acne and acne hyperpigmentation, and overall, after a while, my skin stopped improving and the acne came back with a vengeance. Not so with the glycolic peel; even though it doesn't give you such strong "glowiness" immediately post peel as with the lactic acid, your skin keeps improving for weeks, and it doesn't burn your skin. As I write this, my face that started with about 36 strong acne hyperpigmentation marks and a plethora of other pimples, I now have two acne marks, and just one tiny forehead pimple, and my last peel was three weeks ago. I don't have to "keep up" with the constant peels to feel the effects of this acid, so, I overall recommend this one more. For sun spots though, the lactic acid is better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I started using MUAC 30% Glycolic Acid peels after a life-time of disappointment in acne treatment.

I've used dozens of skin care lines, OCM, Retin-A in cream and gel form, internal suppliments, professional facials (sometimes with peels), anti-biotics, and sulphur masks.

[Mini Rant/Word to the wise: Research your actives before plunking down an obscene amount of money for a product. If a ingredient is not in the INCI, then it's likely marketing maurading around in a lab coat. Also, I don't trust research that isn't peer reviewed, or is sponsored by the company hawking the product.]

My skin before I started using the peel:

Oily
Active acne that wouldn't budge. I've had some of these spots for YEARS.
Lots of scars
Sallow complexion
Lots of huge pores

I started using the peel once a week, each week adding a minute until I hit the max reccomended time.

I've been using this peel now for about 8 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic improvement. The first couple of weeks I still had active acne, but my complexion looked almost dewy and I noticed a few shallow lines start to disappear.

By week 3 a noticable decrease in active acne was noted, and my pores had started to become less noticable.

Week 8 was during my cycle and instead of the vicious breakout that signals the start of my period, I only had THREE! count them THREE! smallish pimples that cleared up in a couple of days. I'm so happy I could tap dance!

Sometimes I will be a teeny bit pink and tender the day after I peel, but nothing serious. I also have not experienced any visable peeling (which I wasn't expecting since this particular peel at this strength is considered a chemical exfoliation and not a true skin peel).

This week I did my first TCA 12.5% peel, and I'm waiting for the peeling to finish before I can gauge if there is any initial improvement.

On top of that I've changed my daily routine to:

AM: Skin Actives: Salicylic wash (very gentle) Vitamin C in the AM, UNT tinted sunscreen
PM: Skin Actives Salicylic wash, and "Let's Make Collegen" serum

I still have damage to repair, but my active acne has slowed down to a couple of minor pimples per month and clear up quickly, and the fine lines I was starting to see are slowly vanishing. I can live with that!

A word of caution. I've seen a lot of folks on the internet saying they started bang out the gate with 50% Glycolic or 30% TCA with no former peel experince, and seemingly very little knowlege about the chemistry of their skin, the mechanism of what they are doing, or why a chemical peel is able to do what it does.

Please do your research.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and a current chem student, which gives me a bit of a unique perspective. When done properly, there is no reason why anyone (who's skin condition is suitable for this treatment) can't benefit from doing a home chemical peel.

Do a skin test prior to any unknown peel type (this includes changing brands), or change in strength. If I have a bad reaction to XYZ peel type/brand at 8%; I can't imagine what it would be at 18%.

Increase the strength of your peels SLOWLY, and be sure to use sunscreen every single day - whether you leave the house or not.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

During my high school years, I totally suffered from deep, underground, cystic acne. It made my life a living hell. Well, not really, but I was SO embarassed of it! The trials and tribulations of suffering with acne in high school is absolutely the main reason why I am so obsessed with makeup and skincare today. Well, high school came and went, and so did my acne... but I was left with not-so-even, blotchy skin with all different kinds of scars. I have ALWAYS had to wear foundation. I mean, I won't even get the mail without putting on "my face". It sucks!

I personally do not have the money to spend to go to a doctor to get professional glycolic peels and laser treatments. So I searched up and down for something that would help fade the scars and get rid of the blotchiness. I've even accepted the fact that I'll probably never NOT wear makeup at all, but I would LOVE to get away with just a tinted moisturizer!
When I found the MUAC site, I was STOKED. All these amazing products, and for so cheap! I bought a 2oz size of the 30% glycolic peel kit.

Let me start by saying that you do NOT want to leave this stuff on longer than it's directed. My friends and I got a little too tipsy one "peel party" night and she DEMANDED to leave it on for 30 minutes instead of the normal 10 we usually do. Well, her face freaked out and she had little red bumps all over for like a week. She never did it again.

If you follow the directions, make sure your skin is absolutely clean and dry before you use it, and use the proper products after, then this stuff CAN and WILL make a difference!

My pores appear so much smaller, the blotchiness has faded by a LOt, I have virtually ZERO freckles, the fine lines around my mouth from smiling are gone, and little by little it has totally helped to smoothen out even the deeper scars on my face. I don't even really notice them when I look in the mirror anymore. (I've done about 10-12 peels over the course of a year.) I'm totally happy and I plan to keep on using this for a long time. It won't melt your face off with one use, so don't expect it to get rid of ice pick scars overnight. You might not even really peel that much. I don't, but I attribute that to the fact that I have pretty oily skin still. If I do peel, it's generally like 2 days after the treatment, and it's about the same as having flaky dry skin for a day. During that time, you DO NOT want to pick at it. That's like, bringing you back to ground zero. Don't use anything abrasive on your face, let it fall off naturally. When I do the peel, I do it when I won't have to apply makeup for at least a few hours.

A little note, I started with the 30% peel, and have been at that level for this past year. I still feel the tingly burning so I know it's working, but I'm thinking pretty soon I'll jump it up to the next level and see if that does anything dramatic.

All in all, this stuff is amazing. It definitely doesn't smell all that great, but it works, and I'm really loving the results over time. Especially for the price! I still have half a bottle and my friends tap into it whenever they can get their grimy hands on it. I'm thinking maybe I should start charging, ha!

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE BEFORE/AFTER PICS PLEEEEEEEEASE LET ME SEE! I took some but then I lost my phone before I backed it up, so I lost all my pics. I'd love to hear from you pretty girls ! <3 Thanks and good luck!

on 3/10/2008 12:38:00 PM

I know I am psycho about my skin and so I guess I should have listened to the directions that say that you should work your way up on this peel! I had gotten 30% glycolic acid peels at the salon about a year ago ( two months between each one) and they were the most amazing things I have ever had. SO, when the instructions said one minute, I disregarded because at the salon, they leave it on for about ten minutes. So that is what I did. Since I hadn't had a peel in so long, the peel just seemed to get off all of the extra skin that had accumulated recently this winter. So the next day, I did another peel for another ten minutes. WEll, I think I burned my face! Not bad, but like someone else said on these boards, it got my attention. So now I am going to wait a week and moisturize the heck out of my face and then leave the peel on for literally one minute and follow those directions. I am really impressed, though with MUAC. I got my peel in three days and the stuff is actually potent! I had tried another peel from philosophy and I didn't think it was all that special.

on 2/15/2014 9:28:00 AM

This was the next strongest in the MUAC products for me after the Fade Peel, the 25%, The Triple Enzyme. As always I followed the directions to the letter - use a mild cleanser, never apply to irritated skin, do a patch test first, use as directed. I use a washcloth to remove surface oils and apply the PH Prep, which I have just learned is Witchhazel, allowed it to dry, did not rinse off.

I used a timer for this because 30% is a lot for me (sensitive skin) and I am a big chicken when it comes to applying acids to my skin! I did a patch test and waited for the "tingle" but there really was not any discomfort - maybe because I've been off strong cleansers ever since I started using these products - there's really no need for them anymore unless I want to give my skin a quick little treat.

I started at 30 seconds and then slowly progressed to 10 minutes with very little discomfort. My skin was slightly pink and sensitive afterwards and within a few hours I started to notice how soft and clean - read deep down clean - my skin felt. So now the 30% is a weekly treatment for me. I'm not sure if I need anything stronger at this point. This journey for me worked best with weekly applications of peel left on 1 minute longer each time.

It took several months for ALL of my pores to get clear. It's gross, but it must be said - my skin was so clogged from years of gunk that I could never get completely out that I really believe my skin went into some sort of shock and I broke out a bit first before my skin responded and the pores just became more amd more clear each week - especially the pores on my nose. I check my skin every day and night in a magnifying mirror (called the mirror of truth) to see what's going on and I am thrilled to report that I believe I got everything out. I truly believe that I will be foundation optional within the first half of this year. I am overjoyed.

I've been using this for only about 3 weeks now, so I'll have to come back and update if anything changes, but so far I'm extremely satisfied. It's really not too expensive considering how powerful the product is, especially when you compare it to cost of going to a salon or doctor for a peel. I got the 1 oz. size, and I've used maybe 1/8 so far - I would estimate there are about 20 uses in a 1 oz. kit. It came with a little bar of green tea soap, which I like (except for the soapy smell) - it's gentle and cleans thoroughly.

My experience so far has been that it takes almost a week for my skin to completely recover and start really improving in appearance. The first few days after I do a peel, it looks worse than it did before - splotchy, dull, pale, oily in the morning, red spots very prominent - so I wouldn't recommend doing this less than a week before a big date or event of some kind. My skin tends to be oily anyways, so it doesn't get too flaky.

After about 5 days, it starts looking better every day: my pores are much less noticeable; the texture of my skin is much smoother; redness is isolated to a few small, stubborn spots; and my skin looks bright and glowing. No breakouts yet (FYI, I'm also on Solodyn to prevent acne). I can't wait to see how this will continue to improve my skin.

on 9/29/2016 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I thought nothing would ever budge my hyperpigmentation. It's a combination of sun damage and melasma that used to be so light that I honestly never really noticed it. If I squint super hard while looking at old photos taken up close in just the right lighting, I can see the outline of what would eventually become these dark spots. An ill advised BBL session brought them out in full force. Perhaps having more BBL would have eventually lifted the pigment away. But 3 dermatologists warned me that any more light treatments might make it darker and harder to treat. So I went the topical route, but it was waylaid by the fact that I got pregnant and then breastfed for 5 months and couldn't use a lot of ingredients during that entire time.

I went from having skin that others would describe as peaches and cream to having a spotted freckled face. I can't tell you how sad this made me. It destroyed my self confidence and consumed my thoughts. My entire appearance changed for the worse in the span of a week and it was impossible to come to terms with. What I saw in my reflection was not me. Not to mention I was dealing with full on adult acne from coming off the pill. So I had brown spots all over and every kind of acne you can imagine. I was spotted and lumpy. I couldn't decide if I hated the acne or the discoloration more. Age spots have been shown to visually add more years to your face than wrinkles, and I'm proof of that. I spent 1.5+ years avoiding mirrors and cameras. The spots were always so visible in photos!! There's only a handful of photos of me with my first born up to age 8 months bc I was still dealing with very dark pigmentation and I truly hated every photo I saw of myself.

I read so much about melasma and tried all the things that are supposed to help it. Finacea, Tazorac, vitamin C, hydroquinone, lactic acid peels, Mandelic peels, TCA 15%, B3, etc.

I avoided glycolic bc I'd had bad experiences when I was younger of it breaking me out, and everything I read said stuff like lactic acid was better for hyperpigmentation.

I'm not sure what inspired me to order and try MUAC 30% glycolic, but I did. And oh my god. After one 4 min peel, the spots were lighter. I could not believe my eyes. I've done 4 peels since then, about 5-7 days apart, and things keep getting lighter.

Maybe this would not have worked as well if I had not stripped my skin down with all that other stuff I've been trying since Feb 2016. I don't know. All I can tell you is that stuff diff not budge these spots one bit. This stuff did.

They are not gone by any means but I'll keep using this at least once a week and tell you how it's going. They are light enough at this point that I let someone take a photo of me and my son up close the other day. And I did not hate the photo.

This is also helping me clear up some really problematic pores, closed comedones that just would not go away. This is helping to get them gone, in conjunction with Paula's Choice BHA liquid and Taz gel.

2 months ago I pre paid for a mini melanage peel, and I plan to do it in early Nov. I am hopeful that will really get rid of all the spots for good and give me a clean slate going forward. But even though I'm doing a big guns peel, I 100% plan to keep using this peel for upkeep at least once a month, forever.

Praise the powers that be, there is hope for stubborn sun and melasma spots. Give this stuff a try. Use it weekly for a long time before you give up on it. It might just surprise you one day.

I love this stuff.

For a while I was paying $$ to have this done at my esthetician's office when I realized I could probably just do it myself. This got me involved in the world of MUAC so be forewarned.

I don't even use it that regularly but I still get great results. It doesn't burn too much, I just fan myself while I wait. Only once did I burn myself around my nose but that was my fault for trying to blast my pores off my face.

Don't do it the day you're going out, do it about 2-3 days before and you'll be looking fresh faced. I also moisturize like the devil right after, something like emu or argan oil. It's sometimes a little itchy but moisturizing definitely helps. Also, I don't use any retinol products for 24 hours before or after... I made that up myself so I have no idea if you need to do that or not.

My only complaint is that I ran out of neutralizer before I ran out of the peel.