Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.3

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 11/15/2001 9:38:00 PM

I've never used chemical peels before, so I bought the trial sized version of the 30% Glycolic Peel Kit, which contained two 1 ounce bottles of a pH Toner Prepping Solution & the actual Peeling Serum itself. Now, I have sensitive skin, so I was very concerned about any adverse side affects. I know that the instructions advise to do a patch test, but I went ahead & applied the glycolic acide to my entire face. It did sting very, very slightly & it wasn't painful like how I imagined it would be. My eyes did water a little bit, so I steered clear from applying the serum near my eyes. After using the Peel for about 2 weeks (I applied it a total of 7 times), I do notice a difference in my skin. My acne scars on my cheek have faded slightly & it has prevented new breakouts from occurring & I also have fewer blackheads on my nose. I takes time to see the results, so don't expect miracles to occur in just one peel. It's so gentle, yet it gets the job done.

UPDATE: 12/15/2001
For the first several weeks, my skin started to look really great, but after continued peels, I began to break out. Not the average pimple, but large, deep blemishes! It left my skin with dark brown spots on my cheek! I think my skin was too sensitive for this specific peel.

on 11/15/2001 10:14:00 PM

I really love this peel, it's pretty gentle on the face and leaves my skin feeling very soft. I use it once a week, not sure if it's doing anything since any results wouldn't be quite as dramatic (or painful) as a true skin peel. But I like it a lot and will continue to use it. One thing I'll say, you don't need a lot of this on your face, so it really will last at least 30 times. I've used it for about 7 weeks, and have only gone through about 10% of the product (I bought the large bottle); since I normally have a very heavy hand, this should last a good long time. There isn't a lot of stinging, and there's a "neutralizer" to use beforehand that does cut down on any irritation. However, the neutralizer has a strong smell of menthol/camphor, so if that's not for you, skip the peel. This is expensive, so if you don't think you'll continue, get the trial size first.

on 11/21/2002 7:51:00 PM

I have glycolic peel (30%) at professional salon every month. I bought it to hope that I can lengthened the period between each visit. The tingling sensation is the same as the one I have at salon, which is MD Formulation. However, both at 30%, MUAC did nothing and MD Formulation fade scar for me.

I got the sample size and it worked really well for the first month. On my fifth time using it, I accidently put on too much in certain spot, and i got burned. my skin got brown (like it was sunburned) and then peeled over the next three days on the spot when i was burned by the acid. Due to that bad experience, i stopped using the peel. For future users, please be careful of burning your skin.

on 3/21/2003 2:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff. After the first week, I freaked. I started getting pimples come up on my cheeks, where I had never had any trouble w/ breakouts before. My pores in that area had just always looked sort of large and a dirty(not quiet like blackheads). I thought, what have I done. So I did some research on the web, and found places that promised this was normal. Gently peeling layers of the skin where deep down dirt is embedded will result in the dirt working out, as a pimple. Be patient, they said, it will get better. I wasn't at all patient, but I stuck it out, like 3-4 days later, the pimples were gone, my skin is the smoothes ever, I have less blackheads, less oiliness, and I have a glow to my skin that I have never seen before. I'm 29, and this is the best my skin has ever looked. I am by the way ,using it with their Glycolic cleanser and moisturizer for oily skin, which I also love. This stuff, for me, has been a miracle. I look like I'm twenty-three again. The bonus is, fine lines around my eyes, faint laugh lines that I had kept my eye on, have faded too!

on 2/15/2004 10:35:00 AM

I have been using this peel once a week for 3 weeks now with excellent results! It is easy to use and mild. My skin is noticibly clearer, and has a glowy sheen to it. Blackheads just pop right out, especially around the nose area. I was highly impressed with the speed in which I received my order and the packaging. I ordered on a Monday and had the product by Wednesday!!! This product also came with a free sample bar of their green tea soap all wrapped in a little bag. I just ordered the 40% peel to see how my skin will handle it. Highly Recommend!!!

on 6/27/2004 8:26:00 PM

I bought this product in 2002 to work on some uneven skintone and scarring I had from a bout of cystic acne. Over the past two years I have used this relatively regularly, anywhere from four times a month in winter to once a month in summer. This peel is gentle but very effective at cleaning pores, smoothing skintone, minimizing lines, and giving your skin an increased brightness and clarity. It also worked on smoothing my acne scars, but it was gradual-- if you are looking for something immediate, you should use a deeper peel. This peel is wonderful for preventing and exfoliating clogged pores and ashy/lined skin. The best part is that two years into using the same bottle, I am only an eighth of the way through it!

on 7/14/2005 10:07:00 AM

This is a great at-home peel. If you are new to peels (as I was,) and hesitant of the spa peel (for fear of the price and intensity of the peel,) this is for you. I have sensitive skin (pale, freckles, combination skin) and am 35 - starting to see the first signs of age spots, wrinkles, uneven tone (though most people wouldn't see this, I do.)

I bought the second to largest bottle, and 8 months later I am almost ready to purchase another bottle - mostly because the prep solution is almost out. I have more of the peel serum.

My advice is to start slowly. Use it 2 - 3 times a week. Start at 1 minute, then work up 1 minute increments probably every 3rd use. The first peels you may not notice much, but trust me, it's working. And your skin is getting used to it. You will find what amount works for you. For me it is 4 minutes, but my skin can be a bit sensitive. When you get to the higher minutes, you will notice peeling for a couple of days (not horribly visible to others, but probably only to you.) Be sure to keep using the soap they send with it. You may also want to buy their larger bar for $10 - - it is very worth it. It is "soapless" soap, and I am hooked.

Now that I am almost finished with this bottle, I will probably graduate to the next strongest peel.

Also, I was hesitant about this, so i emailed them and the owner emailed me back with good advice and recommendations. She was very helpful.

on 12/2/2005 12:23:00 AM

A definite repurchase. As other reviewers state, it is a nice gradual peel. My skin feels smoother and tighter afterwards. I use it about 1-2X week and it clears the pores and smoothes/softens everything out after each use. I got the trial size and it just lasts forever. Slight tingling upon application but otherwise it's pretty nonirritating.

I've been using this peel every week for about a month. I'm NC20 w/oily skin. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I find that this product is harsh, although I do not have sensitive skin. It is much harsher than MUAC's Lactic Acid peel, in my opinion.

I keep this product well away from children and my eye area during use. I can really feel a chemical sting/burn.

That being said, this is a very inexpensive way to do at-home facials. I ordered the sample size from MUAC, which lasts for months of weekly use. I typically wash first with the included green bar, then use the blue neutralizer. I follow with the 30% glycolic. I use a watch to make sure that I don't leave this on for more than 60 seconds.

This product brings my face to a whole new level of clean. It basically takes off any dead skin, encourages fast re-growth of fresh skin and doesn't make my face any oilier.

To avoid the redness that typically occurs after I use it, I've begun to use this only at night so that redness in my skin has calmed down by morning. I follow this with a light moisturizer (Shiesedo The Pureness) and in the a.m. my skin is glowing and ready.

Other products I use: DDF 10% glycolic tonic and Peter Thomas Roth's Anti-Aging cleansing wash (plus the moisturizers & usuals). If I am going to continue to use the MUAC's glycolic peel, one of these cleansing products will have to go---all three together is pretty harsh stuff. But given how effective MUAC's 30% glycolic peel is, it's probably going to be the PTR. I'm going to keep the MUAC in my regimine continued >>