Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Filtered by age: 30-35
Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.7

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 9/29/2016 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I thought nothing would ever budge my hyperpigmentation. It's a combination of sun damage and melasma that used to be so light that I honestly never really noticed it. If I squint super hard while looking at old photos taken up close in just the right lighting, I can see the outline of what would eventually become these dark spots. An ill advised BBL session brought them out in full force. Perhaps having more BBL would have eventually lifted the pigment away. But 3 dermatologists warned me that any more light treatments might make it darker and harder to treat. So I went the topical route, but it was waylaid by the fact that I got pregnant and then breastfed for 5 months and couldn't use a lot of ingredients during that entire time.

I went from having skin that others would describe as peaches and cream to having a spotted freckled face. I can't tell you how sad this made me. It destroyed my self confidence and consumed my thoughts. My entire appearance changed for the worse in the span of a week and it was impossible to come to terms with. What I saw in my reflection was not me. Not to mention I was dealing with full on adult acne from coming off the pill. So I had brown spots all over and every kind of acne you can imagine. I was spotted and lumpy. I couldn't decide if I hated the acne or the discoloration more. Age spots have been shown to visually add more years to your face than wrinkles, and I'm proof of that. I spent 1.5+ years avoiding mirrors and cameras. The spots were always so visible in photos!! There's only a handful of photos of me with my first born up to age 8 months bc I was still dealing with very dark pigmentation and I truly hated every photo I saw of myself.

I read so much about melasma and tried all the things that are supposed to help it. Finacea, Tazorac, vitamin C, hydroquinone, lactic acid peels, Mandelic peels, TCA 15%, B3, etc.

I avoided glycolic bc I'd had bad experiences when I was younger of it breaking me out, and everything I read said stuff like lactic acid was better for hyperpigmentation.

I'm not sure what inspired me to order and try MUAC 30% glycolic, but I did. And oh my god. After one 4 min peel, the spots were lighter. I could not believe my eyes. I've done 4 peels since then, about 5-7 days apart, and things keep getting lighter.

Maybe this would not have worked as well if I had not stripped my skin down with all that other stuff I've been trying since Feb 2016. I don't know. All I can tell you is that stuff diff not budge these spots one bit. This stuff did.

They are not gone by any means but I'll keep using this at least once a week and tell you how it's going. They are light enough at this point that I let someone take a photo of me and my son up close the other day. And I did not hate the photo.

This is also helping me clear up some really problematic pores, closed comedones that just would not go away. This is helping to get them gone, in conjunction with Paula's Choice BHA liquid and Taz gel.

2 months ago I pre paid for a mini melanage peel, and I plan to do it in early Nov. I am hopeful that will really get rid of all the spots for good and give me a clean slate going forward. But even though I'm doing a big guns peel, I 100% plan to keep using this peel for upkeep at least once a month, forever.

Praise the powers that be, there is hope for stubborn sun and melasma spots. Give this stuff a try. Use it weekly for a long time before you give up on it. It might just surprise you one day.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've been using MUAC peels for 17 months now and I will never be without them. This is a review for the MUAC peels I have tried, and I've put the review here because I am currently using the 30% glycolic. I had a *horrible* bout of acne a few years ago (read my review on Epiduo if you want to know the gory details) and undoubtedly, these at-home chemical peels helped me recover and get even better skin than before. I'm in my 30's and my skin is better than it was in my 20's- smoother, more even toned, less congested, fewer hormonal cysts during ovulation and PMS. I don't think my skin has improved at all in elasticity, but that's aging for you and superficial peels cannot touch skin structural issues. I've found the peels great at targeting pigmentation, surface textural issues and acne without the risk of serious side effects. So many benefits at a very low cost and time commitment, which is why I will never be without these peels again.

I started slowly with a sample size of the 25% Mandelic. I did a peel every week (sometimes every two weeks) and the bottle lasted months. My acne started resolving and I got brighter skin in general. I was amazed when the Mandelic peel seemed to stop active acne in its tracks-- it's like the bumps would retreat!! Then, I moved on to the sample size of the 40% Lactic Acid, which went to work on genetic hyperpigmentation (asian freckles, like Lucy Liu) and sunspots I've had since my 20's. This sample lasted for months with weekly use. At one point, I realized that both brown and reddish colored marks on my face had faded drastically. I'm not entirely sure why because it is intermediate between mandelic and glycolic in terms of how well it penetrates the skin, but the only peel that has given me tiny abrasions/chemical burns post-peel has been the Lactic.

After I finished the Lactic acid sample, I moved onto the 30% Glycolic acid. By this time, after a year of the peels, I no longer need to wear foundation because the scars from my bout of acne have completely faded (I mostly had PIH) and my skin is even toned. I have noticed that the tiny capillaries around my nose have either gotten slightly worse or perhaps the rest of my skin has gotten so even that my reddish caps are more prominent in contrast! The coarseness of texture/enlarged pores under my eyes and next to my nose from aging also looks much better. When I got about a month and half into my glycolic acid peel regime (about three months before today), I stopped getting the hormonal PMS cyst (or two) on my chin that I was still getting with the lactic. If you have icepick acne scarring, I'd definitely work up to and try the glycolic acid-- I had one such pitted scar on my cheek, from a pimple I got years back. While the mandelic or lactic never improved it, the glycolic has made it shallower and markedly less noticeable! Amazing!

To echo what others have said, it's true that lactic acid is better for hyperpigmentation issues and glycolic is better for treating/preventing acne. The glycolic seems to be the only one that improves more severe scarring and it's been the best at keeping my most congested pores clean, however... be careful with this one-- even though I'd been using peels for a good year before I started it, I could only tolerate leaving it on for 30 seconds at first. It felt like the tingling you get after you snap a rubber band onto your skin. After about two 30-second peels, my skin got acclimated and now I can leave it on for 7-10 minutes. Let me tell you, the day after my first 7 minute glycolic peel, the stubborn pores on my nose were completely cleared of their dark colored gunk.

Try these peels! Follow the directions to a T, stop retinoids 48 hours before each peel, wait 24 hours to resume retinoids, start at the lowest %, least penetrative acid, and you might just end up with the best skin of your life!

PS try using Cerave PM after the peels-- I wake up with baby-butt-face: so supple and plump, not a flake in sight. ;)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Another good peel from MUAC. Nothing unclogs pores like a good peel. I tried another brand. Big mistake. I'm back to MUAC and not switching. This brand is gentle and effective, without a nasty burn. Increase usage time gradually and follow the instructions.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm HOLLYWOOD! My face is glowing and I haven't seen my skin look this great in years. Great product. I would buy again, but I want to remove some hyper pigmentation which I read the lactic acid is better for.

on 6/9/2012 12:33:00 PM

This did not work for my skin. It made me break out with cystic acne and now I am left with about 6 acne marks/scars on my face. In which I am now trying to fade with no luck.

I ordered a few peels from MAUA over the past year and have had great results with this one controlling my hyper pigmented, acne prone, blotchy uneven skin. For years I have been striving for skin perfection using any and every product from Sephora down to Wal-Mart.
When you try this peel @ 30% concentration only use it once a week. I got a little crazy over the past few weeks and was using it 2-3 times a week and my skin looked as if I had truly suffered a major chemical burn along my jawline. I have been using the MUAC Pomegranate Green Tea Cleanser and Toner, followed by the MUAC Argan Oil. These have helped soothe my skin back into normalcy.
I would also recommend using it as a spot treatment more frequently in tiny areas in between peels to really lift the layers of skin in that area causing trouble.

on 2/2/2010 9:13:00 AM

I am on my 5th week of this peel and I use it along with MUAC's Gly-Luronic serum (anyone with cystic acne needs to try this). I have brand new skin!!!! I had tried the Lactic Acid 40% first and it was nice, but I didn't notice any results that addressed my skin concerns. I am 35 and have suffered with cystic acne since I was a teenager. I am also sensitive so most acne treatments make me flake or are just too harsh. Now that I am older, I am getting some fine lines and sun damage is starting to show a bit.

When I was about 19 I had such a bad outbreak of cystic acne, that I have some medium pock scars on the left side of my face. Compared to my right, my left side had a very bad texture. And once I started to get older, the damage seemed to show up more. I was very depressed about it.

So this is where the peel comes in WOW!!!!!! I see about 60 percent improvement inthe icepick scar. In fact, some days I will look in the mirror and think I am wearing foundation and I'm not! But everything is so even and such a good texture, that I can get away with just wearing sunscreen and a little powder. The really fine lines are gone and the deeper ones are softening up. I do still get a couple of break outs but they are different. Instead of really deep cystic pimples that last for months. They are just normal pimples that dry up in a couple of days (which is FINE compared to what I usually have to deal with). The first week I did have a couple of massive cysts which could have been just brought to the surface by the glycolic acid or could have been developing for months and it was just their time. So be ready, Because you are not going to be clear the first week. But what I did notice was the skin around the break out was glowing and glood and better textured.

I do this peel one a week. I stopped using the prep solution, because I found I didn't really need it. I found that if you exfoliate before using something like Clinique seven day scrub or Origins Modern Friction, youll get a much deeper peel with a more dramatic result. I do notice that my skin is quite sensitive (the sensitivity has increased with the number of peels. the first one i didnt notice much at all) and I have to protect it more with sunscreen and moisture but I have never flaked with this.

My skin care routine is this:

Morning:

Origins Platindote Cleanser (great for sensitive skin but doesnt remove MU)
MUAC Gly-Luronic Serum (exfoliates and gives a glow under makup. My skin is getting sensitive so I use it every other day now)
Origins Platindote Serum (calms reddness and gives moisture)
Clinque City Block SPF 45

Night:
MAC Cleanse-Off oil (takes off all my makeup and sunscreen. doesnt break me out)
Origins Plantidote Toner (very calming)
Orignins Starting Over Oil- Free with Mimosa (night creme for lines)

I love this peel. I did my second one (one each week) and so far am pleased with the results. I followed the directions exactly on the packaging. Your kit comes with the peel, prep, and green tea soap. The first treatment I did I only did the 30 seconds as recommended and it stung very little and barely left a pink tone to my skin. The following week I left it on for 1 full minute and had the same results, slight warmth and very faint pinkness that went away in about an hour. The first thing I noticed was my skintone already looks more even (less ruddiness). I have a TON of clogged pores on my chin (has been like that since I was little) and I've noticed some patches of clarity. I've had a couple of small breakouts near my cheeks but they cleared up as quickly as they came (litterly the next day the bump was gone leaving only a red spot and then the following day the redness was gone too). The green tea soap is WONDERFUL! It leaves my skin feeling tight but not flaky. On my next purchase I'm going to buy a bar on it's own. Since I've been using my peel my makeup has also been going on much smoother. I think a lot of it has to do with skin being less ruddy that my makeup just looks better since I don't have to apply quite as much. I'm anxious to do longer treatments and bump up to a 40 or 50% treatment but I am determined to be patient and use the treatments as they are intended so I don't have to worry about damaging my skin, so I will finish my 30% peel and then move up to the next percentage. ETA: I just had to add. My son, who is 7 years old developed some pimples along his hairline (really angry looking ones too!). Last night I brushed back his bangs (which I think are the source of the problem!) and took a warm cloth with a little bit of the green tea soap and wipe along his brow. LITERALLY the next day the pimples are almost ALL gone! I kid you not! I wish I took a before/after shot! I am buying a full sized bar of this soap ASAP!

on 3/10/2008 12:38:00 PM

I know I am psycho about my skin and so I guess I should have listened to the directions that say that you should work your way up on this peel! I had gotten 30% glycolic acid peels at the salon about a year ago ( two months between each one) and they were the most amazing things I have ever had. SO, when the instructions said one minute, I disregarded because at the salon, they leave it on for about ten minutes. So that is what I did. Since I hadn't had a peel in so long, the peel just seemed to get off all of the extra skin that had accumulated recently this winter. So the next day, I did another peel for another ten minutes. WEll, I think I burned my face! Not bad, but like someone else said on these boards, it got my attention. So now I am going to wait a week and moisturize the heck out of my face and then leave the peel on for literally one minute and follow those directions. I am really impressed, though with MUAC. I got my peel in three days and the stuff is actually potent! I had tried another peel from philosophy and I didn't think it was all that special.

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

Got this through a swap and it has completely turned my skin around in a matter of days! I am still repairing the damage caused by use of tretinoids and this got rid of the dry layers on my skin, improved the texture, shrunk my pores, and helped minimize the amount of clogged pores. I was using the 50% formula a while back and that was way too strong for me. It tore up my skin! No joke.
I cleansed my skin with an antibacterial cleanser, then used the prep toner, then applied this liberally for about 4-5 minutes.
I have only used it once but will continue to update. I suspect my skin will only get better.
Other things I started using: Azelex cream and sometimes a glycolic acid gel.