Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Filtered by age: 25-29
Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

4.4

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

on 4/27/2013 2:36:00 AM

My experience with this peel-- I used it yesterday and it was the first time I ever used a home peel!
I was very very nervous to try it but I was also excited because I wanted to see how my face would like after.
I also bought the Lactic Acid 40% peel.

Yesterday morning I did patch tests (on both of my cheekbones where usually I have dry skin) with both of the peels to use how do they feel like and if I would have a red dinosaur or so on my face.
At first I noticed that the Glycolic peel burned a bit.
I left both peels as they say in the Instructions.

In the evening, I've seen that everything was fine so I was thinking to try the Glycolic...I just didn't have anymore patience to wait until today.

I washed my face, wiped my face with the Ph solution, put the Glycolic acid on my fingers, put it on my skin and then I put my phone cronom. on 30 sec.
After 30 sec. I was fine (bit stinging but nothing serious, I could handle it) and I waited until 1 minute.
I quickly washed my face with a lot of water.
I pat my skin with fresh, clean towel.

I let my skin free for 3 hours and before going to bed I put Macadamia Oil (my new love) and went to bed.

What I noticed after the peel: my face was a bit pink, taught, no weird sensation that would worry me, dewy, and few small pimples were already on my forehead (these little pimples have been there for few weeks already but I just let them sit there), my nose was a bit oily and a bit dry on the nose wings (nothing serious).
The dry patches that I had on my forehead, cheeks and cheeksbones are smoother.

Now, in the morning, my skin is softer, it is not dry or red or burned. My small pimples on my forehead are still there but you don't really see them unless you touch my skin and you feel some bumps. No problem. Maybe it was just the acid that took them out and I am happy about it. My skin has a clear tone. My pores a bit smaller (nothing major).

I can't wait for the next peel!

My skin is used to Retin A, Azelaic acid, AHA and BHA and other stuffs. I have combination skin, acne marks on my chin, very clog prone and from time to time I have pimples. Sensitive. Dry patches on my forehead and cheeks from Retin A that I used few months ago.

Caution:
- do a patch test and wait 24 hr (I waited 9 hrs but this is just me being impatient and my face used to other acids but you never know how your skin may react)
- don't let the peel on the skin longer that it is writen in the Instructions
- take care of your skin after peel- don't use harsh products, no scrubs or acids for the next 2 days ( again you never know how your skin may react so don't take the chance).

I hoped this helped someone who is thinking to have a first time home peel.

I will update when I will have my next peel.

EDIT- I used this peel 3 times in total. The advantages: my skin is clearer, my pores are smallar and they are not blocked as they used to be. My scars are fading.
Disadvantages: my skin is very dry and peeling (I had dry skin prior to suing this peel but it wasn't that bad as it is now). So use with caution is you have dry skin, it will make it drier.
My scars are fading but nothing major but still it is OK.
I can see an overall improvement and I will continue to use it but I will make sure to pamper my dry skin areas.

EDIT 30.08.2013. Updated to 5 stars.
I used it yesterday for 5 mins. It still stings a bit but nothing major. After I washed it off my skin was a bit pink and quite sensitive even when I washed with clean water. Again, nothing major.
Results next morning: skin very smooth, pores veeery small, very old scars are getting less visible, I had 2 cysts lurking for a week and nothing helped (not even my beloved Skinoren!!) and now they are light purple and not so bumpy and angry.
I love this peel and I will continue using it!!

EDIT: 01.06.2014
I have been using this peel once a month because my skin has been dry in the winter months and I didn't want to stress it. It still leave my skin soft for few days, my pores look smaller and cleaner. It leaves my face dewy. I still have to use my Macadamia oil because I have dry cheeks but I like this peel a lot and I will continue to use it once a month.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I started using MUAC 30% Glycolic Acid peels after a life-time of disappointment in acne treatment.

I've used dozens of skin care lines, OCM, Retin-A in cream and gel form, internal suppliments, professional facials (sometimes with peels), anti-biotics, and sulphur masks.

[Mini Rant/Word to the wise: Research your actives before plunking down an obscene amount of money for a product. If a ingredient is not in the INCI, then it's likely marketing maurading around in a lab coat. Also, I don't trust research that isn't peer reviewed, or is sponsored by the company hawking the product.]

My skin before I started using the peel:

Oily
Active acne that wouldn't budge. I've had some of these spots for YEARS.
Lots of scars
Sallow complexion
Lots of huge pores

I started using the peel once a week, each week adding a minute until I hit the max reccomended time.

I've been using this peel now for about 8 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic improvement. The first couple of weeks I still had active acne, but my complexion looked almost dewy and I noticed a few shallow lines start to disappear.

By week 3 a noticable decrease in active acne was noted, and my pores had started to become less noticable.

Week 8 was during my cycle and instead of the vicious breakout that signals the start of my period, I only had THREE! count them THREE! smallish pimples that cleared up in a couple of days. I'm so happy I could tap dance!

Sometimes I will be a teeny bit pink and tender the day after I peel, but nothing serious. I also have not experienced any visable peeling (which I wasn't expecting since this particular peel at this strength is considered a chemical exfoliation and not a true skin peel).

This week I did my first TCA 12.5% peel, and I'm waiting for the peeling to finish before I can gauge if there is any initial improvement.

On top of that I've changed my daily routine to:

AM: Skin Actives: Salicylic wash (very gentle) Vitamin C in the AM, UNT tinted sunscreen
PM: Skin Actives Salicylic wash, and "Let's Make Collegen" serum

I still have damage to repair, but my active acne has slowed down to a couple of minor pimples per month and clear up quickly, and the fine lines I was starting to see are slowly vanishing. I can live with that!

A word of caution. I've seen a lot of folks on the internet saying they started bang out the gate with 50% Glycolic or 30% TCA with no former peel experince, and seemingly very little knowlege about the chemistry of their skin, the mechanism of what they are doing, or why a chemical peel is able to do what it does.

Please do your research.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and a current chem student, which gives me a bit of a unique perspective. When done properly, there is no reason why anyone (who's skin condition is suitable for this treatment) can't benefit from doing a home chemical peel.

Do a skin test prior to any unknown peel type (this includes changing brands), or change in strength. If I have a bad reaction to XYZ peel type/brand at 8%; I can't imagine what it would be at 18%.

Increase the strength of your peels SLOWLY, and be sure to use sunscreen every single day - whether you leave the house or not.

on 1/22/2012 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

After always reading reviews before to make any cosmetic purchase I feel I do have to let others know about my experience. I am just saying that because is my first time making a product review and I hope it will help anybody on making the decision on getting the product or no. I am on my lates 20'. I do suffer from ocassional acne, which is good for me after what I had to go through when I was 23, my face was full of blemishes that left my face with scars. I do not count with the money to have expensives treatment that may or may not work on me, however after reading the reviews for this chemical peels I decided to give it a try and so far so good. I am on my forth week, I did the test pach the morning I got the peel, which was very fast shipping! And the same night after not getting any skin reaction I applied it all over my face for a minute and half. It sting just a little and I neutralize it with just water. The day after I did not see much of a difference just I notice my face was a little more moisture. The second week I left the peel for four minutes and the next day same result. On the third week I left it for six minutes, I applied a lot more of the peel, next day my skin was glowing, my discolorations seems to be less noticeable because concealer make them almos gone. I am very positive that by the eight week this percentage of glycolic will make my skin look more even. I will update. When I finish with it I want to go for the lactic acid 55% to finally see what happen with the tca 12.5%. If you want to ask me I am going with it just let me know.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

During my high school years, I totally suffered from deep, underground, cystic acne. It made my life a living hell. Well, not really, but I was SO embarassed of it! The trials and tribulations of suffering with acne in high school is absolutely the main reason why I am so obsessed with makeup and skincare today. Well, high school came and went, and so did my acne... but I was left with not-so-even, blotchy skin with all different kinds of scars. I have ALWAYS had to wear foundation. I mean, I won't even get the mail without putting on "my face". It sucks!

I personally do not have the money to spend to go to a doctor to get professional glycolic peels and laser treatments. So I searched up and down for something that would help fade the scars and get rid of the blotchiness. I've even accepted the fact that I'll probably never NOT wear makeup at all, but I would LOVE to get away with just a tinted moisturizer!
When I found the MUAC site, I was STOKED. All these amazing products, and for so cheap! I bought a 2oz size of the 30% glycolic peel kit.

Let me start by saying that you do NOT want to leave this stuff on longer than it's directed. My friends and I got a little too tipsy one "peel party" night and she DEMANDED to leave it on for 30 minutes instead of the normal 10 we usually do. Well, her face freaked out and she had little red bumps all over for like a week. She never did it again.

If you follow the directions, make sure your skin is absolutely clean and dry before you use it, and use the proper products after, then this stuff CAN and WILL make a difference!

My pores appear so much smaller, the blotchiness has faded by a LOt, I have virtually ZERO freckles, the fine lines around my mouth from smiling are gone, and little by little it has totally helped to smoothen out even the deeper scars on my face. I don't even really notice them when I look in the mirror anymore. (I've done about 10-12 peels over the course of a year.) I'm totally happy and I plan to keep on using this for a long time. It won't melt your face off with one use, so don't expect it to get rid of ice pick scars overnight. You might not even really peel that much. I don't, but I attribute that to the fact that I have pretty oily skin still. If I do peel, it's generally like 2 days after the treatment, and it's about the same as having flaky dry skin for a day. During that time, you DO NOT want to pick at it. That's like, bringing you back to ground zero. Don't use anything abrasive on your face, let it fall off naturally. When I do the peel, I do it when I won't have to apply makeup for at least a few hours.

A little note, I started with the 30% peel, and have been at that level for this past year. I still feel the tingly burning so I know it's working, but I'm thinking pretty soon I'll jump it up to the next level and see if that does anything dramatic.

All in all, this stuff is amazing. It definitely doesn't smell all that great, but it works, and I'm really loving the results over time. Especially for the price! I still have half a bottle and my friends tap into it whenever they can get their grimy hands on it. I'm thinking maybe I should start charging, ha!

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE BEFORE/AFTER PICS PLEEEEEEEEASE LET ME SEE! I took some but then I lost my phone before I backed it up, so I lost all my pics. I'd love to hear from you pretty girls ! <3 Thanks and good luck!

on 10/25/2010 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hi...This is more of a warning to others than a review...I have oily, acne prone skin and it's not very sensitive...Ive used this about 5 times with no problem upto 10 minutes..Been using Retin A for the past 2 weeks and didnt even think to check on interaction...Well I used it again and this time, got a few nice burns....So warning to any other dummies out there, if youve recently introduced retin a, dont use this, at least not for 10 minutes. I didnt even feel the burning until afterwards... The retin A thins your skin I guess, which I should have known, Ive been on accutane twice...but again didnt even realize....so just keep that in mind!
Also as a side note, I didnt get all the wonderful benefits others have gotten from this...My skin is really stubborn acne prone skin and dont know what will work on it :(

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Very good once-a-week exfoliation product. I always use at night and leave on the full 12 minutes with no problem at all. Stings for the few minute or so, but then it is fine. I bought the sample size and finished that, and now I am using the sample size of the 40 percent. I do get a little more oily than usual for a day or two after, but it keeps my skin glowing. The price is outstanding. I think it is an amazing product for maintaining fresh, young-looking skin in between tca peels. :)

on 10/24/2009 5:18:00 PM

good for oily skin, stronger than the 40% lactic- i liked it. i use it now once a month. cleans out my pores .

on 12/15/2008 1:20:00 PM

i use 30%. first peel was 5 minutes, second was 8 minutes, 3rd was 10 minutes (max) after my second peel (which was a week later), my professor said my face was glowing (i know in school LOL).

my face cleared up- now the purging i find most interesting of all.

turns out i had more blackheads than i thought. 3 days after the second peel i pinched my skin a bit (urging the purging) and blackheads out of NOWHERE were OOZING out of my skin. those pimples stuck in my skin, closed at the surface of my pores are coming out still but with much less inflammation. i suggest you DO NOT pick the face at all bc it will bring out some reddish spots. at the rate my skin was clearing it was actually noticeable !!

the rest of my skincare is yves-roche, but i use pure rose water as a toner.
i wear spf 50 everyday anyhow. i am pale and have had sunburns from caribbean travels as a kid/teen. this did not help with much of my discoloration mainly bc i had sunspots (dr murad's 2% hydroquinone took care of that in 3 weeks) -- i had slight dark dry patches by where my sideburns would be, and now they are gone and that is the only area that has lightened.
the dry spots on my face are gone. my skin responds better to moisturizers. i had a greasy forehead that wouldn't absorb anything before. now it has matte'd a bit, and absorbs my cream. yayyy!
i do not have wrinkles so i can not comment on those types of results.

i will not graduate to 40% i am too young to go that far. sloughing off the extra skin was what my adult acne needed. i will stay at 30% until i compete 8 peels (once a week) then see how long it takes for my old crappy skin to restore itself. THEN i will start up this regimen again. hopefully with less peels.

on 9/26/2008 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I started using this about 2 months ago, about 6 peels now. Start around 30seconds now upto 5mins. So far face never peeled or any burns. I do see clearer skin but not much help to brown spots or skin discolouration.
UPDATE*** after using this for 3 months
I did not see much difference except skin getting softer. I stopped using it.

on 7/1/2008 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I used the 30% peel for the first time last night. I am currently using MD Forte glycolic products so I think my skin was able to tolerate this peel better. I cleansed my face and applied the PH toner (that comes with the peel) and the used 2 cotton buds to apply the peel. ONLY apply a thin layer and I didn't re-soak the buds. One application was enough as I applied it to one cheek first and then left it on for about 38 seconds and removed with water. After this, I applied to my other cheek. I wanted to be sure I am careful. There is a video on youtube 'how to apply a peel' I found that useful and then I practiced this with cotton buds and water. I also purchased the MUAC Aloe vera gel. This was nice to apply after the peel, however it was quite runny and not a gel form. Make sure to use spf 25 everyday after the peel.